Tiki Village - Lakeland FL

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
I could have sworn that in a previous post I had mentioned that I was interested in southern states feedback because Tiki Village (where we had wintered the past three years) had been sold. I cannot find the post, and it didn't receive any replies, so let me take this opportunity to mention that even though Tiki Village has indeed been sold, it will be open in 2009 and at the same monthly rates that were charged in 2008.

The website is http://www.tikivillagecampground.com/

This year, we had six Bighorns in the park at various times - right now we are the last BH and will be headed to cooler temps at the end of next week.

So, if you are considering Florida for 2009, consider Tiki Village.

sislv

Tom & Sharol
Northbound

Chuck, just wanted to wish you and Saundra safe travel on your way back home. We're not sure where we'll be headed south next winter yet. We'd like to try Arizona, but may wind up back in Zephyrhills.

It was 60 degrees here today, snow is melting good.

Cheers........

Delaine and Lindy

Zephyrhills? How are the winters there? We love AZ but it is so far away from TN with my parents 81 & 82. We had to leave Mesa AZ in a hurry and Hubby drove almost 30 hours with just a couple of hours of sleep now and then to rush back when my Mom had heart attack. We plan on going to FL this next winter. One of the places I saw on the internet site was in Zephyrhills. We've only spent the winter in southern TX and AZ.
So how did you like that area of FL and was it warm enough for you?

sislv

Tom & Sharol
Zephyrhills FL

Zephyrhills? How are the winters there? We love AZ but it is so far away from TN with my parents 81 & 82. We had to leave Mesa AZ in a hurry and Hubby drove almost 30 hours with just a couple of hours of sleep now and then to rush back when my Mom had heart attack. We plan on going to FL this next winter. One of the places I saw on the internet site was in Zephyrhills. We've only spent the winter in southern TX and AZ.
So how did you like that area of FL and was it warm enough for you?

We wintered in Zephyrhills for about 8 years and liked the area very much. Many senior parks in the area and quite a few RV parks also. One mixed park is Baker Acres RV Resort, rates are usually decent, don't let the title "RV Resort" scare you. Zephyrhills is pretty much centrally located in Florida and many State Parks and sights are within an hour or two drive at most. Golf courses available and clubs like the Elks, Eagles and other organizations have dinners and dancing almost daily. It's only about a 30 minute drive to Tampa and 1 1/2 hour drive to Orlando.

It does get down to freezing temperatures once in a while but doesn't last but day or two, then warms up again.

Chuck and Saundra (cdbMidland) have wintered nearby in Lakeland FL again only about 30 minutes away. Many good places to shop in Lakeland and Tampa.

We have stayed in Zephryhills for the last two winters (Emerald Point RV Resort) and very happy with the area. Far enough from the major tourist and beach areas that it is reasonably quiet and traffic is not a problem but as stated earlier, not far from Tampa, Orlando and shopping (like Brandon and Lakeland). Walmart supercenter, Publix and K-Mart in Zephryhills and they are building a Target across the street.

In fact we did not bring the Bighorn back to MI, left it on our lot. At least for now with fuel prices as they are, it is our ' condo' in Florida. Two other Bighorns are in our park.

Delaine and Lindy

Thanks for both replies to my question about Zephyrhills. The info I have is for Palm View Gardens. We want paved interior roads to ride our bikes and not too far from the stores you mentioned. I love the ocean but have found the sand and seasalt film on the RV and Truck is not something hubby is crazy about. Also we found parks on the ocean to be windy and cooler than parks away from the beach. So my ideal place would be a short drive to the beach. Any place can have drops in temps. The first time in Mesa AZ the temps dropped to freezing but everyone said that was very unusual. Seems cold followed us that Jan and Feb of 2006. What is the average high in Jan and Feb there in that area of FL? To me anything below 65 is cold. My ideal world would be in the 70's during the day.

sislv

Tom & Sharol
Thanks for both replies to my question about Zephyrhills. The info I have is for Palm View Gardens. We want paved interior roads to ride our bikes and not too far from the stores you mentioned. I love the ocean but have found the sand and seasalt film on the RV and Truck is not something hubby is crazy about. Also we found parks on the ocean to be windy and cooler than parks away from the beach. So my ideal place would be a short drive to the beach. Any place can have drops in temps. The first time in Mesa AZ the temps dropped to freezing but everyone said that was very unusual. Seems cold followed us that Jan and Feb of 2006. What is the average high in Jan and Feb there in that area of FL? To me anything below 65 is cold. My ideal world would be in the 70's during the day.

We are very familiar with Palm View Gardens and have been there quite a few times for dances. The terrain in the park is flat so biking would be easier than Baker Acres RV Resort which is mostly hilly, but is across a field from the Wal-Mart and some other stores. Baker Acres has paved roads throughout the park also. Palm View Gardens is along two well traveled roads, Chancy and US-301. Baker Acres is also near US-301 but about 1/4 mile away so is quieter. I believe both parks are owned/managed by Carefree Resorts.

The average high and low temperatures for January/February are 72/48 and 75/50 degrees. Here's more weather info......

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/USFL0534?from=search

Hope the info helps.........

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
How about prices at these parks you folks have mentioned? Tiki Village told everyone that they would hold the line on prices for monthly or more visitors, which this year was $495, plus electric for two months or more of stay and $595, plus electric for one month.

Nice thing about Tiki in the past is that the month starts running from the day you arrive. As we searched other parks this year, the month started on the 1st, regardless of when you arrived.

My wife did not think that Zephyrhills offered enough in shopping and restaurants, compared to Lakeland. But, that's what she likes to do and may not be at all what you folks prefer.

Delaine and Lindy

Thanks for the feedback. I posted in the wrong place to ask about Majestic Oaks. They have a fitness center and paved roads for biking. Price is 425 a month but requires 3 months. Has anyone stayed there or know about it?