ATF: Landmark - Smoke coming out of grill above pantry

Litz

Last night smoke alarm went off..Smoke coming out of grill above pantry.
Shut down bedroom AC and it stopped.

Need to know what might cause this.
Might be a wiring problem..could smell something burning.

Thanks for any help.

T. Litz

jbeletti

Sounds electrical in nature and nothing to mess with. Please have this looked at by a qualified service person ASAP.

I believe in the S.A., your AC breaker panel is at the bottom of the pantry. So, lots of AC power wiring there as well as all the breakers. So if there's a power issue there that is causing overheating and burning of wire insulation, that smoke will find it's way up and out that vent.

You mentioned that when you turned the bedroom air conditioner off, the smoking stopped. This could mean the issue is with the AC power circuit for the bedroom air conditioner. Perhaps the issue is right there at the breaker and could be easily solved.

But err on the side of caution and safety and have this looked at TODAY.

Litz

That's what I thought..I'm going to cut power and slide out the main fuse box to see if I can see a problem.
thanks, Jim.

Litz

Here's the problem...what would have made this happen on a 2013?

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC03792.jpg
    DSC03792.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 153
  • DSC03789.jpg
    DSC03789.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 150
  • DSC03793.jpg
    DSC03793.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 150

camr

I will bet on a loose connection on one of the main breakers. Once a year I take the cover off the breaker box (after pulling the plug at the campground power post) and tighten each breaker connection screw. I also tighten any connections on the 12 volt side. On a previous coach I found the main ground connection to the frame was loose, causing all sorts of issues. I got about three turns on that one.
Rolling up and down our smooth as glass interstates gives lots of opportunity for connections to loosen.

jbeletti

I agree with camr, likely the breaker wasn't snapped in tightly or the hold-down screw on L1 or L2 was not fully tightened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Litz

Well, I found the problem.
It appears someone put a screw where it didn't belong.There was a 3" long screw in the top left of the breaker as shown in the picture.
It eventually melted that side of the breaker.
I replaced the 50 amp breaker and all is well..at least we didn't die.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• dgb.jpg
    dgb.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC03794.jpg
    DSC03794.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC03795.jpg
    DSC03795.jpg