Mounting max airs II's

Caveman

Hello,

just bought a new 2015 cyclone 3110. I went to mount my max air II's on it and it seems to have for mounting brackets al ready made into the vents. With the max airs brackets it doesn't work they are to long and with out the bracket they won't work either. Has anyone else had this problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

MCTalley

If you look up inside the side of the vent from inside, do you see a sticker that says it was made by Dexter? We have one on our (front) bathroom, too. I meant to ask someone at the national rally this summer and completely forgot. I ended up selling the Maxx Air II I had bought for it.

Caveman

Yep that what it says it's a dexter vent. I was in camping world today and they had no idea either. They told me to contact the manufacture about it.

MCTalley

That's what I would do. Let us know what they say. I did several Google and Amazon searches and came up only with generic "yes it's a 14 inch vent so a Maxx Air will cover it" responses. Nothing about mounting hardware.

I was going to venture that Dexter may recommend that no cover be used with it, but it has obvious mounting bosses for something.

MCTalley

I took care of mine the last couple of days by replacing the Dexter vent with a Fan-tastic fan and matching vent cover. Granted, that is a little more expensive than finding a compatible vent cover. :)

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Yes . . . I started a topic thread on it here a couple of months ago when we got our new Prowler.

I took the MaxAir II vent cover off of our old Trail Runner and when I went to mount it . . . no dice!

Our trailer has threee Ventline venst in it (just like the one described in the OP above) and has the tabs already built into the vent . . .

The tabs on the vent and the mounting brackets on the vent cover line up . . . but the holes do not match.

And I tried to drill new holes in the mounting brackets, but they need to be in the bend, so basically impossible.

I contacted MaxAir and Ventline, and both said that I would either have to make my own brackets, or drill holes to mount it.

I have three ceiling vents, so need to figure this out so that I can get two more covers and get them installed!

This is what the vents look like on our Prowler:

ProwlerVentLid-P1000086.jpg ProwlerVentLidInside-P1000092.jpg

I'm going to try and get this figured out next week on my days off.

avvidclif

Just a thought, I don't know anything about the spacing between the Max Air and the Ventline. A piece of 1" or 2" wide 1/4" thick aluminum Would bolt to the existing brackets. By being 1/4" thick it could be drilled and tapped anywhere along it's length to mount the MaxAir. As long as the cover that raises would clear it.

Food for thought.

I have the MaxAir to install on mine but haven't gotten up there to look so I'm glad this came up. It saved me some frustration time.

Caveman

The more i think about it i think i will just cut down the brackets at the bend and re weld them back. Just going to take a little time and a little room for error. LOL...

Lowflyr

The more i think about it i think i will just cut down the brackets at the bend and re weld them back. Just going to take a little time and a little room for error. LOL...

I also was frustrated to see the same issue when I went to install my Maxx cover. What I did was I took my sonic cutter tool and just cut away the 4 brackets without cutting into the fame itself, then did the basic install. Only other thing I had to do was get 1/2" longer screws to go through the double wall frame.

Lowflyr

JohnD

I thought I had this all figured out . . . NOT!

I drilled holes in the brackets and got it all mounted up, only to find that when I flipped the lid to close it the cover was not centered over the vent and also didn't align with the cotter pins.

Here some photos of the attempted install:

MaxAirIIbracket-P1000332.jpg MaxAirIIbracket-P1000334.jpg MaxAirIIbracket-P1000335.jpg MaxAirIIbracket-P1000336.jpg MaxAirIIbracket-P1000338.jpg MaxAirIIbracket-P1000341.jpg MaxAirIIbracket-P1000344.jpg MaxAirIIbracket-P1000342.jpg

I have to believe that those tabs on the vents are for some vent covers . . . but it seems that they don't want us to know about them . . . otherwise they would be available from somebody!

I've contact MaxxAir again about this . . . two weeks ago and still no reply from them!

Maybe if we all write them, they might be inclined to answer somebody!

- - - Updated - - -

I also was frustrated to see the same issue when I went to install my Maxx cover. What I did was I took my sonic cutter tool and just cut away the 4 brackets without cutting into the fame itself, then did the basic install. Only other thing I had to do was get 1/2" longer screws to go through the double wall frame.

Lowflyr

Have you got photos?

I thought about doing that very same thing, although doesn't that make it not sit flush with the roof?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
From the photos, I wonder if the brackets they put in your package are actually made to fit the larger cover they make for a Fantastic Fan. My smaller, older MaxxAir hinged covers have a different bracket design, with a sliding clip to catch the lip.

Lowflyr

From the photos, I wonder if the brackets they put in your package are actually made to fit the larger cover they make for a Fantastic Fan. My smaller, older MaxxAir hinged covers have a different bracket design, with a sliding clip to catch the lip.

I did not take any photos of my install, which included cutting off all four of the brackets (I knew it would not have been centered otherwise). I personally think Dexter did this intentionally (installed mounting brackets) so you could only by their products. I would hope Max Air will quickly make another style bracket to address this and take Dexter out of the game again. I also don't think Max Airs sit tight to the roof regardless of the vent as the vent flange sits on top of the roof and the bracket sits on top of that. Max Air needs to redesign the bracket with a slight downward angle so it could be flat.

Lowflyr

TxCowboy

...I also don't think Max Airs sit tight to the roof regardless of the vent as the vent flange sits on top of the roof and the bracket sits on top of that...

You would be correct. Their installation video states that there is a gap between the vent cover and the roof to permit water drainage.

JohnD

I personally think Dexter did this intentionally (installed mounting brackets) so you could only by their products. I would hope Max Air will quickly make another style bracket to address this and take Dexter out of the game again.

If Dexter is making their own vent covers for these new vents . . . they sure aren't advertising them anywhere!

As I mentioned above, I've contacted MaxxAir twice . . .

The first time they told me to drill holes in the roof . . .

The second time . . . two weeks ago and still no answer from them about any brackets coming soon.

Caveman

Just got a reply from Maxair. [FONT=&quot]
The MaxxAir II will not fit over that vent. The only cover we have that will fit it is the MaxxAir Standard vent cover with the Zero-Leak hardware kit.
So i guess we know how this is going to go now time to do some cutting and welding brackets.
[/FONT]

JohnD

Just got a reply from Maxair.
The MaxxAir II will not fit over that vent. The only cover we have that will fit it is the MaxxAir Standard vent cover with the Zero-Leak hardware kit.
So i guess we know how this is going to go now time to do some cutting and welding brackets.

All they need to do is make a few measurements and make some brackets . . . and they WILL fit these vents.

I guess they must not be interested in selling any more of the MaxxAir II's considering a large portion of new travel trailers are being made with these new vents.

Or maybe a new MaxxAir III is coming out soon . . .

Sweenja1

I just ran into this a couple of weeks ago. I was at a rally where they were doing some free installs so I went to a near by RV dealer and bought a max air vent. The tech went to install and told me it didn't fit just as you guys are saying here. I went back to the RV dealer who knew exactly what I was talking about and gave me a different style Maxx Air vent which fit. He asked me if the coach had a full vent fan centered in the vent or a small corner fan. I had the small corner fan and he knew exactly what I needed. So yes, there is a vent cover that fits this.