What to do when a pet passes?

TxCowboy

There's really not a sensitive way to ask this question so I'm going to be blunt:

What do you do with the corpse when your pet passes away while you're traveling?

We're more likely to be in a RV park should this happen so burying is really not an option.

Again, not to be insensitive at all but pet ownership has this reality and we have no idea what "right looks like" in this situation.

:angel:

lynndiwagoner

IF you think this event is sure to happen, I would take the pet to a local vet and have it humanely put to sleep. IF you don't want the remains the vet will dispose of it. Sorry for your loss, I know how they become a part of the family and this is one of the most sorrowful events of pet ownership.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
We have had ours cremated. That way you can keep them with you or spread their ashes in some favorite place. The other option is to let the vet dispose of the body.

Kristy

buddyboy

We traveled with a poodle with congestive heart failure and Cushing's disease. We made a point to ask at each campground for the name of a vet. When she decided it was time to cross the Rainbow Bridge (actually in my arms at a vet's office), they cremated her and we had her sent to our son's house. We let him know where we'd be and he Fed-Exed her to us. She continued our journey with us and others who have passed.

porthole

Retired
There's really not a sensitive way to ask this question so I'm going to be blunt:

What do you do with the corpse when your pet passes away while you're traveling?

We're more likely to be in a RV park should this happen so burying is really not an option.

Again, not to be insensitive at all but pet ownership has this reality and we have no idea what "right looks like" in this situation.

:angel:

Good question. We almost had to deal with that at the Bath Rally.

Jeff, In New Jersey many municipalities will not allow burial at your home (not that many follow that law though).
Cremation is offered by most vets and New Jersey has one of the top pet Crematoria's around. There is a typical one week turn around from pick up to the cremains being returned to the vet. Don't know why they wouldn't mail to another location if necessary. They are very sensitive when it comes to pets.

Unlike some of our members here, but what would you expect from someone that brags about pulling DRV's with a 2500 :rolleyes:

Last edited:

'Lil Guy'

When the time comes for your pet, I feel the proper way is to take it to the vet and you can have them put down in a humane way. You can be with them till the end or you can leave just before they do the final step. I would let the vet take care of the carcass. I can't imagine wanting to have their ashes with you in your travels, but that is just me. I think a scrapbook of pics is all the memories you would need to have. If it dies at home, again, I would take it to the vet to be disposed of. That is the easy part. The hard part is deciding on when the time is right to have them put to sleep. Sometimes sooner is better for the animal. Just my thoughts.

GOTTOYS

We took old Mags to the Vet upon his recommendation and had her put down. Then we cried. The Vet sent her remains out to be cremated. We were going to bury her under her favorite tree in the backyard but I just haven't brought myself to do that....Don

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We had our Vet dispose of the remains. We did ask if the Texas A&M Vet School had a need and our Vet said not at this time but that is another option. Any Vet where you are will take care of a pet's remains. Just ask. Also if you look at the map you get when you check in there is usually a Vet advertising in it. If so they will be sensitive to the RVers needs.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We just lost one of our kitties on Monday, July 13, 2015.

Many here have met her at the rallies as she has been to each one of them with us (Marcy, the black & white Mainecoone).

We were at home, so she is in our kitty cemetary along our back fence with three other cats we've lost in the 18 years we've lived there.

Last edited:

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We lost our Schnauzer, Cassie, in June at a rally. We took her body to a local vet for cremation. Very nice and caring folks at the Vet's office.

jam20ster

I never thought about this, but now you have my interest. We travel about 2 months out of the year with 4 dogs (2 of which are great danes). So this is definetely something I need to consider.

TxCowboy

All, thanks for the very insightful replies and sorry about my late return. We were at the beach!

Both of my pets are in great health and not very old so, hopefully, we won't be confronted with this situation any time soon. But as my DW and I discuss fulltiming, this was a topic neither of us had any experience with. Hopefully, this thread will benefit others who may encounter this situation in the future.

Thanks again for your insightful comments.

szewczyk_john

Having had a 16 year old rescue cat pass away recently left us in a bind. Another option is to contact the local Human Society and/or rescue shelter. The Human Society locally does offer a mass burial for deceased pets. We still decided to go the cremation route but for those stuck in a bad situation this might be an option. For me it was a timing issue with terrible weather for a 2 week period. The ground was just so saturated.

merrie

We had to put our dog down, the vet froze her body and we were close enough to take uher home and bury her

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk