Thetford toilet issues

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
I have run into a few people that have taken delivery of a new Heartland unit, Landmark & Big Horn, in late 2012 and during 2013 that have had issues with there Thetford toilet. The issue centers around the blade not snapping closed and the toilet not being able to hold water in the bowl. The specific model is Thetford model 42054 Style II High. Has any one else had this issue of the blade not forcefully closing with this specific Thetford model? Per Thetford, replacing the waste ball and drive arm corrects this issue. Please let me know if you have experienced this issue, tank67tommy@gmail.com, and if Thetford has been of help. Thank you.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Re: Tetford toilet issues

We lubricated ours, the springs and pedal are working better now.

jbeletti

Tom, as Jim G suggests, try Thetford's lubricant. I had good luck with it. You pour it into the bowl and let it set for as long as possible (12-24 hours I think).

LINK to product on Camping World site

Or shipped to your camper for a few cents less via Amazon.com - LINK

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

The other thing that works to help seal the ball is the put Pledge furniture polish in the bowl and let it sit an then spray the seal with the Pledge. It works.

Happy Campers

We have had problems with ours since we bought the RV new.Occasionally we run into people that still have problems with the same model commode.Just last week we ran into a couple that bought a new RV 5 months ago and started full timing and their commode won't hold water either.All these and ours are the dreaded Thetford toilets with the ball.I will never own another thetford toilet !!!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

Our dometic flap cracked. Not sure how, but it's not a serviceable part according to Dometic. Upgraded to the Dometic 320, love it! ((Never thought I would "love" a toilet, but it's that much better!))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador

We just replaced out Thetford Style II toilet last Monday...it started not holding water and we replaced the pedal/valve parts...that worked for about 24 hours. Decided that was enough and replaced it with a Dometic 320...MUCH better made and works great! The Dometic in our Bighorn worked for six years...replaced the ball valve at about 4 years, and was working great when we traded it...

I agree Erika...I love it too! It is that much better..:)

EurekaJ

My unit uses 2 of these Thetford commodes built early 2013. Both don't hold water and our main has flooded once as it kept filling. Glad it was only about 5 gallons and it was 110F outside to dry everything out. Thetford told me that I have 3 things that need replacing so I ordered the $55 worth of parts. Now reading here I may just replace both commodes with the Dometic 310 and return the parts.

DonHelenL

Foot pedal on our Style II toilet just fell off this AM in our 2013 Big Horn. Plastic crap wore out . Lucky to find replacement at local RV parts store($50.00 Am..$73.00 Ca.) Hopefully it will last longer that the original !!!!!( two years and a little)

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador

We gave up on the Thetford...always giving us problems. We replaced it with a Dometic 320...WAYYY better made!!

wdk450

After several years of fulltiming, and fighting the empty bowl syndrome with new toilet ball, gasket, and coconut oil sealing additive, I know that the loss of fresh water in the bowl is due to a ball/seal incomplete sealing problem. I think we all know that the main cause of this is "fecal residue" on the ball and seal. It finally came to me to keep repeatedly stepping down-up on the flush pedal after a BM session, until no loose "fecal residue" is seen floating up loose from the ball/seal. The ball and seal have a mutual wiping action when you step on the pedal that helps remove the residue that cause leaking loss of fresh water in the toilet. This seems to minimize/eliminate the bowl leak-down problem for me.

mlpeloquin

My RV is in storage so I don't know the brand, but have never had a problem. I don't have a sprayer ether. During the walk through I ask about having a sprayer put in and was told it was not necessary. Use Rain X. After cleaning I spray the bowl, wipe it down, and flush. It keeps the surface slick and lubricates the valve. We flush twice. Once when you go, add water again, and after to flush the paper. Rain X and Pledge are waxes and both lubricate and keep the surface slick.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Rain x is a good idia. I'll try that
You can always add a sprayer into the line before the toilet valve, but you would have to keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't lead as it would have pressure on it all the time. Mine only works when the peddle is pressed down

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired

We push the foot pedal down part way to add additional water to the bowl before a #2. With plenty of water in the bowl it does a better job of taking everything on the first flush.
If/when ours fails I'll replace it with the 320 as others have.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

We had upgraded from the original 310 to the 320 back in July in the ElkRidge. Considered moving it to the new rig, but since the bowl is elongated we were worried about how it would be in the way with this bath layout (toilet at an angle on the corner).

Well, after 2 months fulltime with the Thetford, I'm wishing for the Dometic 320! It did a much better job at keeping the bowl clean.