Fire Escape

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Have you tried to open the fire escape window on your RV? We did and it was a good thing we tried it as it was very hard (almost stuck closed) to open. Do you even know where the fire escape window are? Now is the time to find them and be sure you know how to open them. Don't worry they are hinged at the top so they won't fall out.

jimtoo

Hi Jim,

Thanks for posting this reminder about the fire escape window. I am also one that has not checked it in a long time. Maybe something we need to add to the daylight savings time check list. Replace all alarm batteries, smoke and CO2 and any that use batteries and now also CHECK THE FIRE ESCAPE WINDOW.

Jim M

TxCowboy

For those with 5th wheels and bedrooms over the kingpin box, don't forget to get a ladder to climb down from the exit window. We picked on up online for about $30 that hooks to the window ledge/frame and will reach the ground.

That isn't so much an issue for me but trying to jump and/or drop from that exit window would be a challenge for my 5 feet tall wife.

wdk450

For those with 5th wheels and bedrooms over the kingpin box, don't forget to get a ladder to climb down from the exit window. We picked on up online for about $30 that hooks to the window ledge/frame and will reach the ground.

That isn't so much an issue for me but trying to jump and/or drop from that exit window would be a challenge for my 5 feet tall wife.

A dedicated thin pillow to get your belly over the window edge to the chain ladder, and a wood or pvc pipe piece cut to the length to prop open the window are good to have at the ready, too. I have all this stuff in the cabinet over the window.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Good info Jim. I never tried to open any of them on all five fiver I've owned for fear that the window might fall out.

Be especially careful if opening them as depending on the window, they can be designed to fall out away from the RV to make it easier to escape and need replacement as it will damage the window and hinge.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Our escape window is in the bedroom which I open a couple of inches about every other month. I've never opened it all the way so I'm not sure if it's on hinges or set to fall out all the way if opened wide. Will have to check this out.

jmgratz

I would check with Customer Service regarding if the windows are designed to fall away. I was told they are hinged and need to be propped open if you want to keep them open during your 'escape'

brianlajoie

We use the fire escape window in the bed room for ventilation when we have our windows open. Another item to add to the list to have in the bed room is a fire extinguisher. The second person out may need it. Also figure out who will be first in order to catch the pets.

jmgratz

We use the fire escape window in the bed room for ventilation when we have our windows open. Another item to add to the list to have in the bed room is a fire extinguisher. The second person out may need it. Also figure out w,ho will be first in order to catch the pets.

Most important is to have a plan and be certain everyone in the coach is aware of the plan. Also don't forget to have a predetermined place to meet outside so you know where everyone is.