Dual Pane windows

Hi there, DW and I are considering a new 3055RL. We don't want a fireplace, we'd rather have cabinet space. Also, at the very least we'd like to have it prewired for a second ac. Additionally, we are considering dual pane windows. With this in mind we talked to a salesman and he said that the dual pane windows help with sound, but not much with condensation problems. He indicated that the Big horn products don't really have a problem with Condensation even with single pane windows.

So, we're wondering if any of you out there have single pane windows on your Big Horn trailer and if you have much in the way of a condensation problem and if those of you with dual pane windows have managed to eliminate the problem by doing dual pane windows.

We'd love to have your input. Thanks! - Eric -

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
We have the dual pane windows in our Horn 3600RL, and condensation is not a problem. There is a little that forms on the windows where the lock to open them is located, but the water does not run down the windows and pool at the bottom. We have found the dual pane help with cooling and heating. I would not be without them.

vangoes

I do not have dual panes in my 3055 and I have not experienced any significant condensation problems. I have spent a lot of winter time in our BH and only experienced window condensation one time in Gulf Shores and the humidity was about 90% and somewhat warm (just prior to a cold front moving thru). Even then, the condesation was not really a problem......it was just there. In our previous Class A, it seems that the windows/windshield was constantly dripping with moisture.

sidney dreyfus

We like to use our camper in the winter. We are very happy with the dual pane windows. We can't imagine how cold and drafty it would be withput them given the amount of windows we have. We have not experienced a big condensation problem. We like to run a vaporizer to keep the air moist and even with this we don't see the condesation we use to see in our travel trailer. Bottom line is dual pane windows is one of the options we would definitely recommend.

SmokeyBare

When we ordered our BigHorn... it was with the same items you have mentioned along with Gel Gloss Finish and Slide Toppers.

I had two fifth wheel's before this one... and both had single pane windows. The very reason I decided to order these. I have never had an issue yet. We have lived full time for over 18 Months in this RV.... I enjoy the quiet the windows offer... and I like the fact it I have not needed to wipe down the window to see outside.

Even though we ordered this RV for dual A/C units... I've not yet felt the need to have the second A/C installed... we do use the Fan we had installed in the bedroom vent.

But I know one day.... should we decide to park some where in the south... I can always have the second A/C installed and enjoy a far longer use in the heat of the summer. Nice having a Heavy enough power cord coming into the RV... so there should never be a question.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
We have an 2005 Landmark. When we purchased it I never gave the dual pane windows or the second ac a thought. After camping a couple years at Myrtle Beach in July, we realized we did need the second ac.We had the ac/heatpump installed and we are very happy with it. We also had a second patio awning installed on the door side slide-out. This was a great addition especially at the beach or when you are parked in a place that you cannot get the main awning out because of a tree or whatever.I suggest you go ahead and have the dual panes installed and second ac/heatpump and the ac/heatpump in the living area.just my opinion.

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
We have the duel pane windows in our Landmark and are very pleased with them also had the second A/C heat pump added to the bedroom and tried to go without it for a while because we only had 30 amp service where we were parked in Alabama but didn't take long to figure out we were going to have to have the power upgraded to 50 amp as the 100 plus temps outside with one A/C left us with near 90 degrees inside. With both airs we stay very comfortable even at 104 degrees which is the hottest we have seen. The bedroom heat pump has saved us a lot of propane this winter along with the fireplace it was very cozy most of the time but of course at seventeen degrees which was the coldest we got this winter we still had to have help from the furnace which is needed in these temps to keep everything in the basement from freezing. Wish we had the second heat pump in the living area and will add it at some point when we have trouble with the present system.

Don

WRIGHT ll

retired Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Being from Oklahoma City we made sure we got dual pane windows and a second AC because it does get pretty hot and humid here in the summer and pretty cold in the winter. Our first 5er had niether and the last one only had a second AC. After experiencing that we decided that we would order this 5er with both. We did stay out longer last fall and winter than usual, only ending the season due to an impending ice storm which left us with much damage to trees and power outages, but the new BH was safely inside its storage building. The main thing we noticed was the difference the dual pane windows made in comfort level after it got colder. I would never be without them again and sure do recommend them to everybody. OP

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Dual Pane

Also in OKC, I tried to get my Cyclone with dual pane windows. Heartland doesn't offer them on a 3950 - yet. :( The dealership and I only found out after the order was placed. The saleslady kept saying they wouldn't make that much of a difference anyway. (I did remind her, that I would be the one living in it and that she was in sales and would most likely say just about anything to get my $$.):p

I know I will wish I had some once it gets colder. Dealer ended up heating all my tanks in lieu of the dual panes, so I guess I can't complain too much. :cool: If all else fails, should I get to a point of needing them too bad, I can always have some made! :D

StevieWonder

There are clear "plastic", removable films that can be added that will effectively do the same thing as dual pane windows at a fraction of the cost. It's a do-it-yourself project that does not require much other than a straight-edge and a very sharp utility knife. Energy efficient, stops condensation, easy to install and ... INEXPENSIVE.

I have found that just about every saleperson (does not matter what brand) will say just about anything, anytime, anywhere and anyhow to make a sale...escpecially on a unit that is sitting on their lot.

Though I am very happy with the dealer and salesperson I purchased my 4012 from, I did call Bulls*** on some of the things they told me. We both later verified with the factory rep if some items were available or not. Naturally, the factory had the final word, but I have found them to be very accomodating.

Thermopane/duel pane windows are available for the 2009 Cyclone. I have them on mine and am very glad I ordered it with them for all the reasons mentioned above.

Thermopane windows can also be installed after the fact. A local dealer here in Ventura will put them on any brand for about $125-175 each. All 16 windows on my Cyclone were @$1500 as a factory option.

Good Luck and Rock On...

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
After picking up my Cyclone, I had the opportunity to speak with Steve Kennel at Heartland specifically about my 2009 Cyclone 3950. He confirmed that, at that time (the middle of last month), Heartland did not offer dual pane windows on my particular model, they do offer them on other Cyclone models. He said they may possibly offer them on the 3950 in the future, if they have enough interest shown. That is all I could go by. :confused:

SmokeyBare

Thermopane Windows, such as are used in a home, will be gas charged between the glass panels. They are then sealed, preventing any moisture getting between the two panes of glass.

Dual pane windows in an RV are not gas charged. The movement of an RV as it travels down the roads... those very roads that often are rough and rugged... could break the seal if they were Therompane...

Just an FYI :)

Marv

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
There are clear "plastic", removable films that can be added that will effectively do the same thing as dual pane windows at a fraction of the cost. It's a do-it-yourself project that does not require much other than a straight-edge and a very sharp utility knife. Energy efficient, stops condensation, easy to install and ... INEXPENSIVE.

A piece of film can "do the same thing"? Is there some study that you can quote from that would back this up?

SmokeyBare

Chuck,

The film might be the product used with a double sided tape in northern area's. It's applied using the two sided tape.... and a Hair Dryer... that shrinks the plastic film and makes it tight up... on the window.

Dead air between the plastic film and the glass surface... keeps the space between from getting a condensation build up...

We would use it on the bedroom windows that leaked air badly... it always helped keep the room warmer and the window clear.

Marv

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
That would be fine...as long as you never want to open your windows!

The windows still work...and the film is easily removed and refitted if need be...and a LOT cheaper than double pane windows. Especially, if double paned windows are not offered when you bought your trailer.

RSIG

I recently placed an order and did not order the dual pane windows. We plan on using our trailer in the Northeast during the summer and a warmer climate in the winter months Fla. orTexas. Should I add them to the order?

SmokeyBare

The items I wanted when we placed our order...

* Gel Coat Finish
* Dual pane windows with tint
* Wired & framed for a future bedroom A/C
* Electric rear stabilizers
* Slide Toppers
* Bedroom fan that with a reverse the air flow

Heartland came standard with many features we wanted as well...

SO RSIG... your going to need to do some research and decide what you want... GOOD LUCK !! :)

I sure like my BigHorn !!!