Half time convection/microwave should work on 5500 Onan generator?.

myla296

Half time convection/microwave should work on 5500 Onan generator?. When I tested my Rv at the dealership (2010 road Warrior), I found that the oven worked (albeit, only the odd numbers, I think... But that's another story :) however, now that I'm running it on the generator, I'm finding that just the digital time colon is on, and it won't respond. I tried searching this site before posting, but didn't see anything helpful for this scenario. Thanks in advance!

danemayer

This seems related to your other thread where you discovered that many outlets are not working when on generator. I think you're missing one leg of generator output. Could be a problem at the transfer switch where shore power and generator power come together and the output of one at a time is routed to the circuit breaker panel.

myla296

This seems related to your other thread where you discovered that many outlets are not working when on generator. I think you're missing one leg of generator output. Could be a problem at the transfer switch where shore power and generator power come together and the output of one at a time is routed to the circuit breaker panel.
And the original owners might not have ever known that this was a problem since the generator only had two hours of run time when the technician at the dealership worked on it, and they had it plugged in and neglected to check many things when they took this as a trade in. I could confirm what you offeref by borrowing a generator that goes to the "shore " plug, since it shouldn't know the difference, correct?. (Thank goodness the ac works!. Everything else I can work around, for now :)

danemayer

If you plug the shore power cord into a portable generator, or an electric pedestal, and everything works, that would confirm that you're missing one power leg. It would also point to the problem being 1) at the transfer switch, 2) at the junction box that connects the generator to the transfer switch, 3) at the generator's circuit breakers, or 4) something in the generator.

The transfer switch and junction box are the most likely candidates. And since you're getting some power from the generator, L1 is working, because it's necessary to operate the transfer switch. That would mean L2 is the problem.

myla296

If you plug the shore power cord into a portable generator, or an electric pedestal, and everything works, that would confirm that you're missing one power leg. It would also point to the problem being 1) at the transfer switch, 2) at the junction box that connects the generator to the transfer switch, 3) at the generator's circuit breakers, or 4) something in the generator.

The transfer switch and junction box are the most likely candidates. And since you're getting some power from the generator, L1 is working, because it's necessary to operate the transfer switch. That would mean L2 is the problem.

I'm definitely going to keep theses in mind... And am taking a suggestion from someone else on that other thread about testing the microwave on a different outlet. I'm actually hoping it is that is out, almost easier to solve than the stuff you mentioned :). Thanks!

myla296

BTW, this is a link to what my model looks like
2007_gulf_breeze_apollo_half_time_oven__convection_oven__microwave_oven.jpg
http://www.rvweb.com/rvimgs/gulf_st...ime_oven__convection_oven__microwave_oven.jpg