Delaminating on slide

I have been using my parents 09 Big Country for a while since they aren't able to use it as much any more. That being said, my dad isn't able to take very good care of stuff anymore and the 5er has some issues I would like to fix. the major one is some delaminating of the fiberglass on the slide. It is right around the refrigerator access hatch. Its not a big area and I might be able to inject some adhesive down there and clamp that area. Is this the best way to go or should I take off the whole side of the slide and try again?
Also, the area under the cab/over part has come fairly loose. I don't remember how bonded it was when new but the fiberglass just looks bad under there. Is this common or is there an underlying issue causing the fiber glass to look wavy and loose?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

danemayer

Hi Haulinbass06,

Delamination is most often caused by water intrusion, so before attempting repairs, you'll want to do some inspecting and recaulk. I believe the top of the slides have tape as well as caulk. On a 2009, it might be time to replace both. The filion on the front is also subject to water infiltration. Check the caulking on the front cap seams and around the light fixtures.

As for repair strategies, I think body shops and boat repair places typically cut out and replace wall sections that have damage, but perhaps someone has experience with other types of repairs.

The filon seems so loose that I could probably take it off if I took all the screws out. That might be the easier of the two to repair.
As far as the slide, I think it is coming in somehow right at the fridge access panel. I need to check that area, I just noticed it the other day.
I've been reading about successful repairs by just injecting adhesive and clamping areas if they are small. I may just give that a shot and see how it goes before I go to the expense of having a shop cut and repair the fiber and gelcoat.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The filon seems so loose that I could probably take it off if I took all the screws out. That might be the easier of the two to repair.
As far as the slide, I think it is coming in somehow right at the fridge access panel. I need to check that area, I just noticed it the other day.
I've been reading about successful repairs by just injecting adhesive and clamping areas if they are small. I may just give that a shot and see how it goes before I go to the expense of having a shop cut and repair the fiber and gelcoat.

I don't know where you are in Texas but we found an RV Body shop. It is Adkinson Body and Repair on US59 on the north side of Nacogdoches. TX. He specializes in doing the body work on RV and has full hookups at his shop so you could stay in the rig while being repaired. We were impressed when we found him. He also works on high dollar Motor Homes as well so he knows what he is doing.