Frame Worries

janitor1

I'm going to be taking delivery on a Heartland Bighorn 3600 RE around the first week of May. I've been reading these posts about the Lippert frame failures. Heartland uses Lippert frames. I'm wondering if I should be concerned about this or are these isolated problems? Are the frames failing on certain sized trailers? I've been told that the Heartland Bighorn frames are being made to better standards currently than in the past.

Lots of great info on RV.NET...I just would not believe everything you read as everyone has opinions....and me too;)

I was concerned, just like you, untill I did my own research.

Some of the facts:
*These frame failures were about 1%...industrywide.
*Some of these "failures" were simple fatigue or stress cracks.
*Almost half of the failures were on toy haulers...which may have had something to do with the fact that MOST toy haulers are being towed with an inadiqaute tractors and/or are overloaded.
*They were primarily in years 2005 and 2006
*The primary issues were poor welds and the improper application of anti-corrosive coating.

This is just some of the information I found by looking around on the more credible sites
I am very comfortable with my 12 inch frame on my 2009 Heartland Cyclone.

Good Luck and Rock On...

talley

I have a 2006 Birghorn and experienced failure of the anti-corrosive coating Lippert applied to the frame. From day one the coating was rusting and peeling from the frame. I did not notice this until after delivery... when you get it home... thats when you really look over your "pride and Joy" and some times find disappointment. Although, overall end up enjoying the coach, but wish you had a shot at the next one (but it too would probably have it's problems). I pointed this out to the dealer, and eventually called Lippert. Lippert would not backup the coating after delivery to dealer. Heartland also initially refused to acknowledge any warranty responsibility. The dealer, to his credit, acknowledged the problem and was willing to work at resolving the problem. Eventually, Heartland offered to split cost to have the frame painted. The dealer and Heartland outsourced a local painter to wire brush, prime and paint the I-beam. Result was marginal...but better than nothing. My recommendation is to look carefully under the unit and for that matter other areas as well. I was noto as dilligent as I should have been, my mistake and as a first time buyer my error.