Residential refrigerator problem

W9OF

Our 2014 3570rs Bighorn has the Frigidare residential refrigerator. It has worked fine (with typical fan & bearing growls that come & go) until yesterday. The fridge was working fine while plugged to shore power. It worked until the first returning rest stop. Then some time later the inverter GFI tripped out and we lost the remaining contents in the 85 degree heat. Upon returning home it worked fine when plugged into shore power. This morning when I figured out the GFI was tripped it even worked from battery power! Everything is clean, very low hours but now I have trouble trusting the system. Is it something that needs frequent checking? What else could have caused the problem?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I don't have a clue what could have caused your GFI to trip.
I do however suggest that if you do not trust the system while traveling you ad a small indicator light on the front of your rig below the bedroom.
Light on, system working. Light off, system not working. You will want to position it so that you can see it in your rear view mirror.
So, you lost all your food in a few hours traveling? Normally the box will stay cold for quite a while.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

Hi W90F,

If I'm following, the problem is that the GFI built into the inverter tripped, cutting power.

If you can leave the RV plugged into shore power, in the circuit breaker panel, turn off the breaker for the refrigerator. That will force the frig to run off the inverter/batteries. The shore power connection will allow the Power Converter to keep the batteries charged and you'll be able to test to see if the GFI trips again.

A couple of people have installed a bright LED on the front of their coach, driver side so they can monitor the inverter. Here's a link to Jim Beletti's post about his mod, which includes a PDF file with details. If the inverter outlet is working, the light will be visible in your mirror.

bdb2047

Not to hijack this.But is a gfi necessary for dedicated refrigerator circuit? I have not followed code for residential since 2007 gfi not necessary at that time to my knowledge RV code may be different. Code for residential is/was 20a dedicated circuit. I have residential in camper, not factory installed, no gfi and have no issues with operation.

danemayer

Not to hijack this.But is a gfi necessary for dedicated refrigerator circuit? I have not followed code for residential since 2007 gfi not necessary at that time to my knowledge RV code may be different. Code for residential is/was 20a dedicated circuit. I have residential in camper, not factory installed, no gfi and have no issues with operation.

The GFI is built into the inverter, so it's a moot point.

W9OF

Hi Dan:
you have it correct. Tnx for the tip to force it to run from the inverter. I'll do that tomorrow.
Sure wish it was stored at home. (Del Webb senior community)

Ron -w9of-

rpotter

I had a lot of issues with the magnum 1000 watt inverter. 3 from heartland including the original. All 3 had issues with the built in gfci in the magnum tripping on the fridge compressor startup The fridge averaged 1.2 to 2 amps, so about 200 watts well below the 1000 watt rating. I bought a local Canadian tire brand 1000 watt inverter that was pretty much identical to the magnum minus the built in gfci (standard recepticle) and no issues whatsoever. Fan never even came on once even with hours of operation. I finally decided to open up the magnum and take out the cheap no name made in China gfci and replace it with a leviton model and low and behold the magnum now works perfectly with no more gfci trips. So my two cents, 1000 watt is plenty for the fridge operation but be careful of the magnum because I firmly believe they have a faulty gfci.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jbeletti

I had a lot of issues with the magnum 1000 watt inverter. 3 from heartland including the original. All 3 had issues with the built in gfci in the magnum tripping on the fridge compressor startup The fridge averaged 1.2 to 2 amps, so about 200 watts well below the 1000 watt rating. I bought a local Canadian tire brand 1000 watt inverter that was pretty much identical to the magnum minus the built in gfci (standard recepticle) and no issues whatsoever. Fan never even came on once even with hours of operation. I finally decided to open up the magnum and take out the cheap no name made in China gfci and replace it with a leviton model and low and behold the magnum now works perfectly with no more gfci trips. So my two cents, 1000 watt is plenty for the fridge operation but be careful of the magnum because I firmly believe they have a faulty gfci.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you for sharing your fix (replacement GFCI outlet in Inverter).

rpotter

Thank you for sharing your fix (replacement GFCI outlet in Inverter).
Your more than welcome. I was totally happy with Heartland warranty service... It was the Magnum GFCI that was the issue and heartland tried their best to resolve via sending out replacement Magnums. Since i had tested the fridge circuit by first plugging it directly into one of my household GFCI's and no trip. then a second household GFCI and still no trips.. Then finally tried the Canadian Tire brand Inverter that didn't have a GFCI outlet and it worked perfectly i figured it was worth a shot to see if i replaced the GFCI in my Magnum would address its issue. Less than $20.00 fix and Magnum all repaired. Very happy now. :)

jimcat

Your more than welcome. I was totally happy with Heartland warranty service... It was the Magnum GFCI that was the issue and heartland tried their best to resolve via sending out replacement Magnums. Since i had tested the fridge circuit by first plugging it directly into one of my household GFCI's and no trip. then a second household GFCI and still no trips.. Then finally tried the Canadian Tire brand Inverter that didn't have a GFCI outlet and it worked perfectly i figured it was worth a shot to see if i replaced the GFCI in my Magnum would address its issue. Less than $20.00 fix and Magnum all repaired. Very happy now. :)
Ours just tripped the first time.. hopefully it is not anything to be concerned about.. and it was just a fluke?

jimcat

I would look at the age and condition of your battery
Batteries not quite 2 years old.. good shape.. it went out about 4 30 this am.. I was going to bring out a heavy duty extension cord, take the plug out of the inverter, plug into a regular ac connection, But, just getting up, it is back on again.. so, does the inverter reset it self?

wdk450

Seems to me that Heartland Owners President Emeritus Jim Beletti battled this problem, finally removing the GFCI outlet from the inverter and replacing it with a standard outlet.

LBR

Batteries not quite 2 years old.. good shape.. it went out about 4 30 this am.. I was going to bring out a heavy duty extension cord, take the plug out of the inverter, plug into a regular ac connection, But, just getting up, it is back on again.. so, does the inverter reset it self?
I would do 2 things. Pull the plug on the inverter, then either disconnect the trailer from shore power or turn off the refrigerator breaker if you're sure it is labelled properly.

1) Pull the transfer switch cover off and make sure all wire connections are tight inside on the inverter side of it.

2) Go to the dedicated plugin for the refrigerator, pull it out and make SURE the wires are making good contact. I didn't trust the connections of the stick in wires, so replaced my receptacle with one from the hardware store that had the good-ole screws to attach wires to for a foolproof connection.

Since going through this inverter side process, no more problems. I'm sure it was the stick-in wires receptacle that was making a poor connection.

jimcat

Update.. I disconnected the cord that plugs into the inverter, I plugged that into a heavy duty extension cord. and then into another outlet. GFI trips about every 6 hours.. today it is tripping a bit more.. Electrician came by at 8 am.. installed new 20 amp at the pole out side and a 50 amp.. same result.. I am leaning towards the Frigidare side by side , is nearing the end of its life.. What would be a good replacement? Anyone change theirs out? Difficulty? Again. Im 70 with a lot of arthritis

wdk450

Have you tried removing the GFCI outlet from the inverter for a standard non-gfci one?
I and others don't think that GFCI is needed on RV refrigerator inverter power sources. Your home refrigerator is not GFCI protected, although it is usually near a water sink, or has an icemaker water supply line connected to it. GFCI protection isn't on the 110 volt supply to the propane/ac refrigerators that are still in production, and were the standard for about 50 years in RV's. Can you physically touch anything that is connected to ground while touching the residential refrigerator metal parts? You need a physical path from the refrigerator metal to something grounded through your body for there to be a ground fault hazard.