New Heartland Wilderness owner, not sure what to think?

wa_camper

I am looking for some encouragement or knowledge from other Heartland travel trailer owners. We just purchased a 2015 27ft HL Wilderness. We were super excited the first two weeks until it was time to pick it up. It was sold to us as brand new, yet when on delivery date, we noticed so many items (screens, sliders, sewer cap and also the under belly cut up in two places and taped back up) We are so disappointed. We still haven't been able to use this trailer and to be honest, not really pleased with the local dealership. We are trying to see if they really do what they say they are going to do, but pretty uneasy. Its hard to know by the brochures online what the trailers come with and what they don't. There was a brochure for a tv hook up in our bag, but no tv. Is there a good number to talk to someone at Heartland to find out what really came with our model? (there are two and we got the elite model)

Hopefully we will be able to use it on our planned trip in two weeks. crossing fingers.

Thank you for any help.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I am looking for some encouragement or knowledge from other Heartland travel trailer owners. We just purchased a 2015 27ft HL Wilderness. We were super excited the first two weeks until it was time to pick it up. It was sold to us as brand new, yet when on delivery date, we noticed so many items (screens, sliders, sewer cap and also the under belly cut up in two places and taped back up) We are so disappointed. We still haven't been able to use this trailer and to be honest, not really pleased with the local dealership. We are trying to see if they really do what they say they are going to do, but pretty uneasy. Its hard to know by the brochures online what the trailers come with and what they don't. There was a brochure for a tv hook up in our bag, but no tv. Is there a good number to talk to someone at Heartland to find out what really came with our model? (there are two and we got the elite model)

Hopefully we will be able to use it on our planned trip in two weeks. crossing fingers.

Thank you for any help.

Neither of the two Heartland trailers we've bought had TV's installed.

I'd rather buy my own for the RV's anyway as you'll get a much better TV (and at half the price) than the ones that are put in at the factory.

wa_camper

Thank you JohnD, We aren't too concerned about the TV. I would actually rather buy one ourselves. JohnD, do you know if when they normally do repairs under a trailer, do they drop the belly liner or do they sometimes cut it? We can't figure out why ours is cut in two places if its suppose to be a 2015 and brand new.

'Lil Guy'

The dealer should have the build sheet for the TT you have and it lists everything that comes with your rig. The rest is negotiated with the dealer at time of purchase. Mine showed a TV and they had to install one for us. On our previous NT it showed the TV as well as a grill. Neither was in the TT but they had to add them. Make the dealer show you the build sheet and what it came with. The Elite model may very well come with the TV and mount. Again, you need to work this out with your dealer before you pay for it. Good luck and keep us posted as to your situation. This sounds more like a dealer issue than a HL issue but they might be able to help.

danemayer

The Heartlandrvs.com website is a source of information on what's standard and what's optional. Here's a link to the Wilderness 2750 including a list of standard and optional features. You can also call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. They can tell you what was included from the factory.

If the dealer found something wrong during their pre-delivery inspection, it's possible they might have cut the coroplast underbelly to fix it. On many trailers, it's not practical (or efficient) to remove the entire sheet, so cutting is the practical option. While it may not be a big deal, the dealer should be forthcoming about why it was cut since it's not routine.

KFPD404

You can call Heartland and give them your VIN they can tell you if anything was repaired at the factory or under warranty at the dealership. I to had a bad experience when we picked up out 2015 wilderness . We never used it and took it back to the dealer and demanded it be fixed to our liking or just get us a new one . They made some calls and got us a brand new 2016 ordered with a 30 day build date , I feel like they went out of there way to please us of course I wasn't going to except anything less . Mine had a slice in the flooring and had been patched on the outside wall at the factory .

- - - Updated - - -

Have you taken it home yet ? if not find another dealer that will get you another .

wa_camper

We picked this trailer up 2 weeks ago and its been sitting ever since. We noted things on our initial walk through that were suppose to be taken care of (including the under belly) When we arrived, it was half washed, (no sealant was done that we paid for) missing screens and sliders, and the one cut underneath had been taped up. We were concerned about taking it home and said so. If this was a brand new trailer "lost in inventory" as they told us, then how did they end up replacing the water tank twice (won't say how we know this as we don't want anyone fired for being honest) if they never sold it? We went back the next morning and asked them to make things right. The GM was not happy with the service dept. He promised us he would have it all taken care of. We told him we knew this Trailer was used for parts and it technically wasn't "new". A week after talking to him, we still didn't have a follow up call from them as they were to pick the trailer back up and do all the repairs. Finally we had a pick up date of tomorrow. We went by the trailer last night just to double check the things we knew were wrong and my husband crawled under the trailer and noticed it hadn't been just cut once, it also had been cut in the rear of the trailer. The tape was already peeling off. When he ran his hands under the area where it looked like it hung lower he heard a sound. He peeled back the tape and found the metal strap that holds the water tank secure wasn't attached and just laying on the under belly. Needless to say, he isn't happy right now. I am going in first thing this morning while he is at work and asking for a 2016 Trailer. This isn't a missing part issue now, its a safety issue that we don't trust their service guys.

danemayer

It might be too late to help you, but for anyone reading this thread before taking delivery - never sign the "acceptance" paperwork before everything is correct. If a minor part has to be ordered, get that in writing as an exception and note it on the acceptance paper. If it's not minor, get it corrected before signing. I would also recommend not writing the check or signing the financial papers until you're sure the unit is ready to go. Before signing the papers you have leverage to get things made right. After signing, it can be a different story.

wa_camper

The service guy didn't have us sign the acceptance paperwork when we picked it up since they had so many things that weren't done. I just got off the phone with HL. The warranty work they show is curtain rod bent and a slide out adjustment. She also mentioned that it had been sold last year but had no seller info. They told us it had never left the lot and was brand new and never sold. We just want the same trailer that is new with all the parts like we were told we were getting.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Sounds to me like the dealership had to get into the underbelly to make some repairs prior to delivery (not an uncommon occurrence). Then they were not forthcoming about it. Also it is not uncommon for a inventory unit to be used for parts if it has been sitting for awhile. The trick is to get it ready for delivery which it sounds like was not done. Can't tell you what to do but not accepting it and demanding a replacement would be reasonable to me. Keep in mind the paperwork will have to be redone as as replacement will have different vin.

wa_camper

Thank you everyone for your replies. We have wanted a trailer for year's and were so excited to go camping this summer. I figured the VIN/Paperwork would have to be redone etc. I'm hoping for a good outcome today when I go to talk to them. (I promise, I won't yell at them. I know things happen, parts get taken or borrowed etc. We really loved this trailer, but my husband doesn't feel like this trailer is ever going to be fixed correctly. His first thought was of us out on the highway and that tape would of came apart and if that metal bar had come out and hit another vehicle behind us, or killed someone it would of been horrible.

Hopefully by the end of this summer we will have a little US travel map to share also!

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
I would make your selling dealership repair all of the items that are wrong with it and if they won't I believe you would have a good case for having them be forced to refund your money. If Heartland tells you that the trailer had been sold before but never taken off the lot, I believe the dealership still has to divulge that information. For example a brand new car is stolen off of the dealership lot and taken out on a joy ride and then recovered and returned back to the lot. If there was any damage from that joyride the dealership MUST divulge that and can no longer sell that car as "new". I am not a legal expert so I am not positive that it works the same way on a RV but I believe the intent of the consumer protection act and the laws that govern selling cars, trucks, boats, MC's and RV's would be similar throughout all of those industries.

Rod

danemayer

I just got off the phone with HL. .... She also mentioned that it had been sold last year but had no seller info.

With respect to the trailer possibly having been previously sold, the thing to get clear is whether you will be considered the first owner, or the second.

There is no warranty for second owners. None. Not from Heartland, nor from any of the appliance or subsystem manufacturers.

You cannot allow there to be any confusion on this point with Heartland or anyone else.

Suppose for example the rig has a Norcold refrigerator that fails in the first year. If Norcold thinks you're the second owner, you will not have any warranty coverage.

KFPD404

Just stick to your guns you want a new trailer ordered if not I would demand my money back... . My paperwork was already done with VIN sent to Heartand and it took some time to straiten out but it was finally resolved . I am glad I did not just settle for it Again it all go's back to the dealer. My dealer went way out of the way to make me happy and I will buy from them again because of it .

Last edited by a moderator:

JDFarris

We bought our Heartland Wilderness 2775 Elite on the 4th of July. We found the quality control to be sub par. We didn't find much wrong on the walk through, perhaps we were not thorough. We took it on a couple of "shake out" trips and found all are pipes to be loose. Doors popped open during travel, cabinets were not finished properly, etc. More importantly our water system had a leak and no water pressure. We purchased our rig out of town and a local dealership (Camping World) has taken AWESOME care of us and our issues. We are getting ready to head out on a 4 month road trip and some of the lesser important issues need to wait for repair upon our return. We are now dealing directly with Heartland.

Is the quality of Heartland typically this bad. I can't imagine they had anyone in quality control walk through our rig.

I must say WE LOVE our floorplan, which is why we bought it.

Where do you find the maps I see on each person's signature?

Debie