What type caulk

Capt7383

What type/brand of exterior caulk is recommended ? Is one type good for all applications? I just want to do some preventive maint. On my fiver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTPockets

You can't go wrong with Dicor, but I like Proflex. Proflex seems harder to work with (it's really sticky when wet) but I think it lasts a lot longer.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Proflex and sikflex is what the higher end and even the factory uses. It is good stuff.

pegmikef

If the dicor is the self leveling type normally used on the roof, it won't work on vertical surfaces.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
If the dicor is the self leveling type normally used on the roof, it won't work on vertical surfaces.

Dicor also makes a regular caulk which we have used. It is good also. Comes in several different colors.

bsuds

Proflex and sikflex is what the higher end and even the factory uses. It is good stuff.
My experience with the factory applied caulking is it's crap. I had to redo my roof the first year and the Dicor self levelling I used lasted almost 4 years in comparison.

Mrsfish

You can't go wrong with Dicor, but I like Proflex. Proflex seems harder to work with (it's really sticky when wet) but I think it lasts a lot longer.

Old thread, but Terry is this the caulk you had use use on the small crack in our caulk last fall?

mlpeloquin

Use Dicor on the roof and 40 year Acrylic Latex with Silicone. It can be reworked, painted over, and will last as long as anything else I have tried. Sikaflex is a one part Polyurethane. Seems to be good stuff from what I just read about it. It still chalks and cracks and the seal on it edges releases. I know this if this is the OEM calking. Same with the Acrylic Latex with Silicone I am now using, but the Sikaflex cost a lot less.

mlpeloquin

Any silicone will be hard to remove.

The Acrylic Latex with Silicone is easy to remove. It is not straight Silicone. I use it an know. This stuff can be painted and Silicone cannot take paint, but Sikaflex is cheaper. I will look into Sikaflex next time I need to touch up the calking. I would not use it on the roof.