Bighorn Dometic 320

T

TomMontague

Re: Is a Landmark Newport that much better than a Bighorn 3875FB

The Dometic 320 toilet isn't included because of the framing in the Newport front bath. We have a drain hitting the frame. We are working to solve but we are also designing 3 new floor plans for Open House so engineering is taxed.

For now all bathrooms have the Dometic 320 except for the front bath of the Newport.

Thanks,
Tom

Last edited by a moderator:

Jonah

Thanks Tom
I should have asked earlier, but does that mean it also won't work on front bath of Bighorn 3875?

T

TomMontague

i can't comment on that, there are some frame differences but I don't know what they exactly are. I know they won't do it as a factory option. The Dometic 320 hole is 1" further out from the wall which is right on top of our frame - as for BH I guess you would have to pull your toilet and see if the frame is right in front of the hole.

Hope this helps.
Tom

Jonah

Tom
I've replaced several toilets in the home, only need sufficient clearance regarding hole location and wall. The frame location doesn't make sense to me but have to guess its a combination of hole location, frame and wall. Appreciate your knowledge and help as we really "need" an elongated toilet due to health reasons.

Now, can you share about the new floor plans you're working on? Or are they the ones already in progress ? I was only aware of 2.

Jonah

Need some help/advice from bighorn owners or factory rep. Has anyone replaced their commode w the new Dometic 320 elongated bowl model? Specifically the 3875 front bath model? If so, did you run into any issues? Hole, frame, wall location/clearance.

We we really need an elongated toilet and never dreamed this would be an issue esp in the front bath model. Appreciate your help. Thanks

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437741710.089967.jpg

Here are the measurements to see if it will fit. I know MKTalley changed both of his out in a Big Country front bath, with some slight modification to the plumbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I've moved your post and all related postings from another forum to this one.

Peace
Dave

MCTalley

Need some help/advice from bighorn owners or factory rep. Has anyone replaced their commode w the new Dometic 320 elongated bowl model? Specifically the 3875 front bath model? If so, did you run into any issues? Hole, frame, wall location/clearance.

We we really need an elongated toilet and never dreamed this would be an issue esp in the front bath model. Appreciate your help. Thanks

We have a Big Country 3950FB which is the same exact floorplan. We replaced our front bath toilet with a Dometic 320. From center of mounting point to back of toilet, you gain about 1 1/2 inches. It will work, but with issues. Note that in the BC and BH, the toilet sits on the door side of the rig at an approximate 45 degree angle. The Dometic, due to the added depth at the back, will sit in there but at less of an angle. Ours is wedged in at about a 30 degree angle, which puts my right knee into the cabinet when I sit on it. Additionally, the back corner of the bowl deflects the wall in behind it about 3/4 of an inch. If I rotate it more, the back corner of the toilet would eventually split the wallboard.

Short summary - it will fit but not without either modifying the wall behind it or compromising on the angle that it sits in the corner. I didn't even debate on trying to move the drain forward in the floor. Just not something I'm willing to undertake and, as mentioned by Tom regarding the LM, would probably be constrained by the frame. The toilet drain (and most of the plumbing for the front bath) is located in a foot wide section between the pass-through storage and the front storage compartment. This is the same area where the frame comes up from under the pass-through storage and is probably why moving the toilet drain is mentioned as a limitation due to frame issues.

Edited to add a quickie graphic of how the frame lines up on these models. The blue is the pass-through storage, the red is where the toilet drain drops to the tank below. (Not to any exact scale, mind you).

Attachments

• TrailerFrame.jpg
    TrailerFrame.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 62

Jonah

We have a Big Country 3950FB which is the same exact floorplan. We replaced our front bath toilet with a Dometic 320. From center of mounting point to back of toilet, you gain about 1 1/2 inches. It will work, but with issues. Note that in the BC and BH, the toilet sits on the door side of the rig at an approximate 45 degree angle. The Dometic, due to the added depth at the back, will sit in there but at less of an angle. Ours is wedged in at about a 30 degree angle, which puts my right knee into the cabinet when I sit on it. Additionally, the back corner of the bowl deflects the wall in behind it about 3/4 of an inch. If I rotate it more, the back corner of the toilet would eventually split the wallboard.

Short summary - it will fit but not without either modifying the wall behind it or compromising on the angle that it sits in the corner. I didn't even debate on trying to move the drain forward in the floor. Just not something I'm willing to undertake and, as mentioned by Tom regarding the LM, would probably be constrained by the frame. The toilet drain (and most of the plumbing for the front bath) is located in a foot wide section between the pass-through storage and the front storage compartment. This is the same area where the frame comes up from under the pass-through storage and is probably why moving the toilet drain is mentioned as a limitation due to frame issues.

Edited to add a quickie graphic of how the frame lines up on these models. The blue is the pass-through storage, the red is where the toilet drain drops to the tank below. (Not to any exact scale, mind you).

Thanks for the detailed response (greatly appreciated). A couple of thoughts crossed my mind.

First, are there any issues w installing the dometic 320 in the 1/2 bath? Maybe we could get by w single change.
Second, the wall behind the toilet in front bath might be an ideal location to route solar access to the roof, especially if I have to modify wall (your thoughts?).
And third, if the door to the front bath was a pocket door, you could rotate the stool almost 90 degrees to the wall and seems all issues would be solved.

Of course, all these thoughts are based on looking at the diagram.

What do y'all think?

MCTalley

First, are there any issues w installing the dometic 320 in the 1/2 bath? Maybe we could get by w single change.

We swapped that one, too, and it had plenty of room to drop the 320 in there without hitting the wall or changing angle. Note that on both installs, I had to modify the water feed to line up with the Dometic (it is a few inches different than the Thetford).

Second, the wall behind the toilet in front bath might be an ideal location to route solar access to the roof, especially if I have to modify wall (your thoughts?).

I would suspect you are right. Most of the wiring for the front half of the trailer runs along the door side of the trailer through the bedroom and beside the commode, passing through that wall on the way. Best I can tell, there is nothing but framing and the bathroom light switch and wires coming up from floor level.

And third, if the door to the front bath was a pocket door, you could rotate the stool almost 90 degrees to the wall and seems all issues would be solved.

It would have to be a pocket door (inside the wall), but might be limited by the shower plumbing. The bedroom slide is really close to the bedroom side of that wall, eliminating the possibility of using and external sliding door on the bedroom side (like they have on the other side of the bedroom at the steps). If one weren't too particular, the door could be removed and a curtain hung in the doorway.

Jonah

It would have to be a pocket door (inside the wall), but might be limited by the shower plumbing. The bedroom slide is really close to the bedroom side of that wall, eliminating the possibility of using and external sliding door on the bedroom side (like they have on the other side of the bedroom at the steps). If one weren't too particular, the door could be removed and a curtain hung in the doorway.[/QUOTE]

I wonder if this option might also work? Morryde has a new space saving door hinge. Is there a solid header above the front bath door? Hope this link works.

https://youtu.be/L_YhwJkp37I

Gaffer

I bought a Dometic 320 and that 1" makes a big difference. The 320 needs the hole in the floor to be 11 or more inches from the wall. The hole in my floor is only 10" from the wall. It will not fit without putting a hole in the wall. Anyone want a new never used 320 in bone? I can bring it to Vegas!
i can't comment on that, there are some frame differences but I don't know what they exactly are. I know they won't do it as a factory option. The Dometic 320 hole is 1" further out from the wall which is right on top of our frame - as for BH I guess you would have to pull your toilet and see if the frame is right in front of the hole.

Hope this helps.
Tom