Family Search ~ 1st Fifth Wheel

What is the best 5er for a family?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

saint5er

Hello- My wife and I are looking for our first fifth wheel and have a few models under consideration. Sundance 2997BHS, 2998RB, 3300BHS. Does anyone own either of these that can provide me some insight on making a decision?

Thanks!

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Hello saint5er and welcome to the forum.
To answer you question you will need to provide us with more information as to what you want or need from your fifth wheel.

1. How many people do you need to accomodate?
  2. How often will you use it?
  3. How far do you plan to travel?
  4. Pets?
  5. What kind of tow vehicle do you have or will the trailer dictate your tow vehicel?
  6. Will you boondock or camp at campgrounds?
  7. How long to you expect to keep you camper for?
  8. What type of weather conditions do you anticiapate you will be camping in? (fair, always cold, always hot, changes with the seasons etc....)
These are just some that come to mind and there are plenty other questions but maybe this will give you and us a start.

Good luck,
Mark

Last edited:

red4re

3300bhs

We just purchased a 2009 3300 BHS. We have had it for two weeks and just finished our first weekend of camping. We have two kids. We wanted the 4 bunk model because the kids want to bring their friends at times. We really like our decision to purchase this model and are very happy. We wanted a mid profile unit with lots of storage space and a bedroom slide for us. We looked at alot of brands and the Sundance had more of the features we wanted.

Hope this helps.

red

TexYa

Hi saint5er,
Although we aren't new to camping, we just bought a Sundance 3300SK and we love it! We didn't want one with bunks because we don't want others tagging along anymore. Been there and done that!!!

I agree with Mark, it depends on the size of your family or if there's a chance your family may get larger before you move into something else farther down the road. ;)

How long will you be camping? Will you be camping in a park with bathrooms/showers close by?

Do you want the kids and their friends always coming into your bedroom to use the bathroom???

In case the kids brought friends along, either one has the hide-a-bed that will sleep 2 and the dinette booth would hold maybe a couple of wee little people.

My personal choice would be the 2997BHS because it has a second bath! :)

OR

If I had two kids and didn't want to put any little people up in the living space. Then I might choose the 3300BHS because kids do like to take friends along. Besides it's nice that you can store all their toys, games, clothes and stuff over their bunk and keep it in their room.

BUT again, do you really want all the kids coming into your bedroom to use the bathroom???

saint5er

Thanks Mrcomer. Please see my answers below.

1. How many people do you need to accomodate? Family of four (2 ads, 2 kids)
  2. How often will you use it? at least once a month, hopefully more
  3. How far do you plan to travel? anywhere with roads, time permitting
  4. Pets? 2 dogs
  5. What kind of tow vehicle do you have or will the trailer dictate your tow vehicel? F-250 King Ranch CC SB
  6. Will you boondock or camp at campgrounds? mostly campgrounds I would guess
  7. How long to you expect to keep you camper for? Until I find something I really cant live without.
  8. What type of weather conditions do you anticiapate you will be camping in? (fair, always cold, always hot, changes with the seasons etc....) Mostly summer (85-100 degrees). Some colder but not below 40 degrees day/25 night.

saint5er

haha. you make a good point TexYa. We certainly lean towards two bath's but are concerned about going too big (long). I want the right floorplan but dont know what to expect if I go 34 - 35 ft versus smaller with a not so desireable floorplan.

TexYa

Hi saint5er,
There's only two of us now and we weren't going to pick a long trailer either! We spent two weeks in the winter (28 degrees) with our daugher, her husband and our 2 year old grand daughter in a 34 foot long Sundance 5ver. It had a bunkhouse in the back and that's where we slept with the baby. Lots of room for our extra junk and the toys. We decided that was a good size for us.

I was terrified of getting a trailer that long! Everyone kept telling us that about 4 foot of that is over the back of the truck and we wouldn't notice it. I have to say, it pulls SOOOOOOOOOO much better than a bumper hitch camper! I've even pulled it and put it into a pull through site, all by myself! :D I think my husband was surprised.

What we did was decide what was most important to us and I made a list. We took it as we went shopping and if everything wasn't all on my list, we didn't even look at it and believe me........ we went shopping everywhere!!! I took a digital camera and took photos of the ones we really liked because they all run together after awhile.

The design on the corners was the biggest pull for us in Heartland. We've actually had our camper sideways across the bed of a short wheel base Dodge and it didn't touch the window. It's wild to watch but it works! :)

The next pull for us to choose the 34 foot was being able to spend two weeks in it and it not being too small. You know what having children underfoot feels like. Take the kids and go spend a couple of hours in the one that you are seriously considering.
Is there enough room or is everyone getting in everyone elses way???? It's one thing to walk in and look and to actually spend some time in it.

These are the things that sold us on Sundance. Not to mention that we got a great price!!!
Good luck!

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Thanks Mrcomer. Please see my answers below.

1. How many people do you need to accomodate? Family of four (2 ads, 2 kids)
  2. How often will you use it? at least once a month, hopefully more
  3. How far do you plan to travel? anywhere with roads, time permitting
  4. Pets? 2 dogs
  5. What kind of tow vehicle do you have or will the trailer dictate your tow vehicel? F-250 King Ranch CC SB
  6. Will you boondock or camp at campgrounds? mostly campgrounds I would guess
  7. How long to you expect to keep you camper for? Until I find something I really cant live without.
  8. What type of weather conditions do you anticiapate you will be camping in? (fair, always cold, always hot, changes with the seasons etc....) Mostly summer (85-100 degrees). Some colder but not below 40 degrees day/25 night.
Now we are getting somewhere. I have had a few bunkhouses in the past. We have (2) children and the unit I liked the best had a bunkhouse that was seperate from the main living quarters. It also had a door from the outside of the bunkhouse that would ope-fold the bunk bed up and then we had a lot of storage, large enough for (2) bikes, fire wood and quite a few other items. It had a dresser and a place for a TV and DVD player. This is nice on some days when it's raining and not so great outside. We also had seperate bedroom. nice for us. Booth dinette of course converted into a bed for friends.

Being this is your first camper and you have a large family when the pets are included you may want to lean towards a large unit with a couple of slides. The Sundance line is a really nice Mid-Profile line. Much nicer the Fleetwood product that we owned. I wish Heartland would have been around then.

Well i could probably go on but other will definetley weigh in as you have already seen. That's what makes this forum so awesome. Lots of people ready to help out and alot of information available.

Good luck,
Mark

Johnm

I wanna go camping - NOW
saint5er,

We have the 2997BHS and love it. It's a tad bit longer than I wanted, but by only one foot ... I can live with that! It tows like a dream, much better than our last 31 footer. We have 2 young boys, last season one was still in a portable crib, so I really don't know for sure how the bunks will work, but I imagine it'll be fine. We have PLENTY of room in the rig. The queen bed is great, in fact we bought a new king bed for our house and put our old queen mattress in the camper. We sleep really nice now :D. The back door storage area (the 1/2 bath option fits there) is great for the grill, chairs, messy kids trucks and diggers, etc. My only complaint is there isn't enough kitchen counter space. But what camper in this size/style/layout does? Again, we love the 2997BHS.

Good luck on your choice,

frumbawa

2998rb

After looking at all three models side by side, we opted for the 2998RB. This is our second bunk house model and since our kids (2) are older, we took into consideration what we would do with the space once the kids are out of the house. This ruled out the 3300BHS since the bunk area was just that, a bunk area. Yes, we could use it for storage but for weekends and short trips, that's an awful lot of stuff to be hauling around. That left the 2997 and 2998. We actually liked both and the fact that if the kids were not with us, the bunk house slide could be used as a second sitting area. For us, it came down to the rear bath. I think the novelty of a second bath in a RV got us because that is what we went with. It is nice when at the beach or some place like that the everyone does not track dirt or sand through the living area to get to the bathroom. The down side is a second black tank to flush, more chemicals, etc. My only complaint about these floorplans is the kitchen counter space as someone already mentioned. But we just added a topper to the stove since we do most of our cooking outside and all is fine.

Good luck with your decision. I think you will be happy with the Sundance regardless of what model you choose.

Frank

saint5er

So.. I just read another forum about weight. And it has completely confused me. I have a 06 F250 King Ranch Crew Cab FX4 SB. Can I not tow a Sundance 2998RB for example with truck stock?

egnors

Another Sundance owner at work towes the 2998 with a 01 Chevy crew cab 2500 and does fine. I tow a 3300BHS with almost the exact same truck, and it squats the rear end down about 4" from stock ride height in the rear, which still gives enough travel to not bottom out on the rear axle. The max trailer weight is ~15K on the towing guide so you should be OK.

We decided on the 4 bunk model in case some other family members want to stay the night, or I could use it in hunting season up north and have room for a few guys to stay in. Then they don't have to squeeze into the dinette bed. Our boys like the 2 bunks, and they play back there all the time. We haven't added the TV back there yet, but we probably will this year.