Thoughts on adding a bed mounted tool-fuel box ?

oldfitter

I am thinking of having a fuel-tool box added to my truck. I am not worried about a couple hundred extra pounds with a dually. Fuel stops take forever at large stations with RV lanes. I know I need to stop every once and a while but rest stops are much faster. I am looking at gravity feed tanks as they are less than half the price of the pumped models. Thanks for any input on my plan.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have an RDS 60 fuel/tool box in my truck and it fits under my folding hard tonneau cover. Had it in my last truck and wouldn't be without it.
I have a 12 volt solenoid to turn the feed on or off when needed.
If I turn it on when I am at about 1/2 full on the OEM gauge I will go about another 200 miles before the OEM tank is full.
The install kit comes with a manual on/off valve but I recommend that you install a solenoid valve.
It works out great.

Peace
Dave

Sniper

Remember to also take into account the weight of the fuel about 8lbs per gallon for diesel plus the tools you are sure to put in the box. In my opinion (from the folks I've talked with that have them) the gravity feed works fine, but wait until the main tank is down to 3/4 before turning them on, and don't forget to turn them off when stopped. (again that is what I've been told while out on the road talking with folks that have them).

Safe travels. :)

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
In my opinion (from the folks I've talked with that have them) the gravity feed works fine, but wait until the main tank is down to 3/4 before turning them on, and don't forget to turn them off when stopped. (again that is what I've been told while out on the road talking with folks that have them).

If you use the install kit, it comes with a check valve to prevent overfilling.
I've used the manual valve for a couple of years and never had an issue when leaving the valve on.

Peace
Dave

Sniper

If you use the install kit, it comes with a check valve to prevent overfilling.
I used the manual valve for a couple of years and never had an issue when leaving the valve on.

Peace
Dave
Thanks Dave, I'm sure most of those good folks were told that somewhere on the road as well back before the trucks had a sealed fuel system on them. I've been thinking about installing one myself, but to be quite honest I'm ready to get out of that thing and stretch my legs well before I even get close to empty. LOL :)

Speedy

We've had our 60 gal RDS tank (same as Cookie's) since 2010. Love it, would be without it. I used the install kit but I added a fuel filter and a pump in order to fill the tank faster. As others have stated with the tank and tool box filled the weight will change your load capacity. I weighed in at the National Rally with everything at the max and found that I was overloaded by 800 pounds. Since then I have been reducing what I now carry but I do run heavy with a full load of fuel because as I go down the road the lighter I get.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I've been thinking about installing one myself, but to be quite honest I'm ready to get out of that thing and stretch my legs well before I even get close to empty. LOL :)
We too like to stop and stretch and still do, but in the early days I have pulled in to an RV park running on fumes because there were no fuel stations along the way, and had to back out of a couple of stations because once I got in I couldn't drive out. I decided no more fueling up with the trailer in tow.
Just a couple of things to consider.

Peace
Dave

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
I added a gravity fed 40gallon RDS and have enjoyed buying fuel where I find a decent price rather than when the factory tank gets low. I manually turn on the tank when I get near a quarter on the factory gage. The check valve supplied has worked for me.

Mburtsvt

Had the gravity fill system, but it’s just too dangerous. If you are ever in an accident the fuel will keep running out of the tank. I went with, (actually had to -DOT regulation for a commercial vehicle,) an electric diesel pump.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200609552_200609552

and a 90 gallon fuel and tool box.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200350933_200350933

When the fuel gage shows a quarter tank - hit the switch and 20 minutes later its a little over 3/4 full. Turn off the switch and I’m good to go.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
An alternative is to replace the OEM fuel tank with a larger one. My truck came with a 34 gallon tank and I replaced it with a 56 gallon one. Thus I still have full use of the 8 foot bed, after removing the hitch, for hauling stuff. My tools and compressor are carried in heavy duty totes that I've strapped at the front of the bed. Likewise, if I need that space, they come out easily.

kkamshop

I have a 70 gallon tank and tool box. We do alot of 3 day weekends 300 miles away,before the extra tank I always got behind the guy fueling his motorhome then dumping his tanks and then leaving it on the fuel island while they went in to pay for their fuel and shop.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We went with Dually Depot in Elkhart, got a great deal on a used 115 gal one (can get about 100 gal in it.) They installed all new parts for the hoses, filter, pump, wiring and switch in cab. Love it! Just 20 min gets a full tank while driving down the road. We stop at rest stops only, no more truck stops!! Just filled it up at Bucees in Terrell, paid $2.01 a gallon for diesel.

Edit: We had this tank in our previous truck and moved it to our new (used) truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottyb

I had a L-shaped 60 Gal RDS in my Chevy and l liked it a lot. It fit under my R-K toolbox. When I traded it for the F350 DRW, I had a 67 gal Titan OEM replacement installed by the dealer, and it was even better. The computer gets re-programmed so the gauge and MTE calculations are correct. Looking at replacing the one on my current F250 work truck. It only has about 20 gallons of usable capacity, and I am filling up every other day. The OEM replacements are more expensive but more convenient.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Whatever happened to the dual fuel tanks you used to be able to order on pickups. I had one in the 70's that had dual tanks and it worked great.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have the 37 gallon rds in mine with the manual valve that I leave open all the time. When filling up I start with the truck tank and fill till first cut off. Then start filling aux tank while fuel cap is still off on truck. When I see the fuel in the filler neck I put cap back on and finish filling tank. Never had an issue with fuel leaking out from cap. My guy that installed my tank said he would not install a selinoid valve as if would not be up to DOT according to him hence I did not do that.

olcoon

I think the dual/saddle tanks were made illegal several years ago, because they were a danger in a crash. I think the main danger was with gasoline.

GOTTOYS

I have a 62 gal. RDS wedge with the gravity feed system. This is my second truck I installed it in. Mine has their simple check valve in place at the filler pipe. Never once had a problem with fuel coming out the cap on the truck or any overflow problems. One of the best things I ever put on my trucks. I found mine on Amazon. It was shipped from Northern Tool but the freight when purchased through Amazon was less than 1/2 of what Northern wanted. Fits under my tonneau nicely. Very pleased....Don

happykraut

I have the same setup as Cookie. I mounted a lighted switch on the dash for the electric solenoid. The light helps some in helping me remember that the fuel valve is on but, I have forgotten to shut it off a couple of times with no ill-effects.

porthole

Retired
I am thinking of having a fuel-tool box added to my truck. I am not worried about a couple hundred extra pounds with a dually. Fuel stops take forever at large stations with RV lanes. I know I need to stop every once and a while but rest stops are much faster. I am looking at gravity feed tanks as they are less than half the price of the pumped models. Thanks for any input on my plan.

I use a 45 gallon RDS along with a Titan 65 gallon OEM replacement tank. Did the Titan first, as I had one in my GMC and liked it. 600 mile range is good, but it turned out about half of our trips exceeded 600 miles round trip, but were usually under 1000 miles. Since diesel has been typically the least expensive where we live, 100 gallons on board works for me.
Once you add the extra fuel capacity it is hard to go backwards.
Extra fuel is right up there with LevelUp and washer/dryers. Those that have it would not be without it. Those that don't see no need for it.

I use a gravity feed solenoid wired to one of the up-fitter switches. Since the switches are only live with the ignition on, I don't worry about the feed being "live" all the time. I also have a 1/4 turn valve before the solenoid.
Note - there are specific fuel solenoids for gravity feed applications. Gravity feed solenoids are designed to open with little to no head pressure.

Remember to also take into account the weight of the fuel about 8lbs per gallon for diesel plus the tools you are sure to put in the box. In my opinion (from the folks I've talked with that have them) the gravity feed works fine, but wait until the main tank is down to 3/4 before turning them on, and don't forget to turn them off when stopped. (again that is what I've been told while out on the road talking with folks that have them).

When I plan on using the auxiliary tank I typically will run for about 20 miles on a full main tank then turn on the gravity feed and just leave it on. It seems that the truck burns about what the gravity feed fills

Had the gravity fill system, but it’s just too dangerous. If you are ever in an accident the fuel will keep running out of the tank. I went with, (actually had to -DOT regulation for a commercial vehicle,) an electric diesel pump.
When the fuel gage shows a quarter tank - hit the switch and 20 minutes later its a little over 3/4 full. Turn off the switch and I’m good to go.

And how is a pump turned on any less "dangerous" then a gravity feed?
Gravity feeds typically fill the main tank through the filler pipe using a check valve, which is the same type of "rollover" valve used in the tank vent system. When the filler pipe level reaches the ball in the check valve it floats it up and shuts off the fuel.

Ever seen someone that had a bigger auxiliary tank then the main and forget to turn of the pump? Not an issue with a gravity system. Gravity or pump, I would recommend that the circuit only be energized on the engine run circuits.

"If" one can't have a gravity feed because the truck is commercial and a DOT reg (can you cite the reg) that is one thing. But I would venture to guess 99% or better of the forum members here are not commercial.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Our pump has a recirculating line back to the tank, so if it's left on and full it just goes back to the tank. We set a timer on our phone when we flip the switch to remind us to turn it off.