NorCold swap with Residential fridge

dougrat

My wife and I are considering buying a 2015 Big Country 3950 FB, The only thing holding us back is that the one we found with the right price is that it has a NorCold Refrigerator. We have had nothing but problems with NorCold. Can it be replaced with a residential fridge with out too much trouble? I notice some come with one or the other, and is there much difference in the cabinet where the fridge slides in? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Doug

Last edited by a moderator:

jimtoo

Hi Doug,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

There have been a few make the change to the residential fridge. I'm sure some of them will jump in soon with some thoughts.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Depending on how you want to use your refrigerator will determine the ease of installation.
Fitting the box in the opening is only part of the equation.
If you plan to run it while traveling you will need an properly sized inverter, transfer switch and the wiring that goes along with the installation.
Why not order what you want, the residential refrigerator is only a $600 option, less when the MSRP of the rig is negotiated down.

Peace
Dave

dougrat

Thank you for the fast responce, the reason we are questioning about the refrigerator on this year and model is because they are trying to move the 2015's and it is in our price range.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

You might ask the dealer what he would charge to make the swap. Also, if you are willing to travel, you can probably find similarly equipped 2015's with residential refrigerators. I share you concern and probably similar experience with Norcold (sometimes referred to by RV techs as Nocold).

bdb2047

I replaced a Dometic 1350 with residential. Cabinet width was OK had to remove a drawer to get enough height. I posted it in Landmark mods about 2 years ago if you want to look. Dollar wise the factory install is way to go. Figure 1500+ without labor.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
which one is heaver noracold doable door or the residential?
Larry, a quick Google search found that the Norcold runs about 215 pounds. A typical 22 cf residential is around 250 pounds.
And don't forget the inverter, transfer switch and extra battery weight needed for the residential.

Peace
Dave

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I would look real close at the residential model. It has my attention, I like the idea.

Peace
Dave