Things I would change about my Bighorn

We live full-time in our 2015 Bighorn and for the most part I am very happy with it. There are, a few things that bother me; in order of how much they bother me:

1. It is so dark inside. With the tinted automotive windows, the dark carpet and flooring and our dark furniture, it is dark all the time inside. I realized after we bought it that when we looked at it all the lights were on so it looked light, but even in full sun with the shades up we have to turn on the inside lights. This is really annoying, especially since it is our home!!

2. The carpet is very thin and certainly nothing I would pick out for my home. I also dislike the nylon loops which cut the bottoms of my feet.
I am sure we will be replacing it eventually.

3. The light switches for the ceiling fixtures are inside a cabinet and to make it even worse, you can't see them in the dark because there is no light inside. We did put a motion detecting light inside which solves that problem but it's so annoying to have to open a door to turn on a light.

Other than that, we are very happy with our Bighorn. Things I LOVE: The residential refrigerator is wonderful; since we live in it we like the large freezer. The pantry; I have room enough to store everything I wanted to bring with us. The power awning. So nice to not have to manually roll it up. The beamed ceiling...very attractive and residential feeling.

'Lil Guy'

Don't own the Bighorn YET, but there has to be more you love about it. You could list the fact of the Baker's being jealous you own one and we don't. Yet. I would think the window issue is a trade off of light and letting heat in.

Mburtsvt

I saw the “honey” color interior cabinets in a BH3750FL a few months ago. Very nice and lighter than the standard color. I’m surprised that it’s not more popular.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We live full-time in our 2015 Bighorn and for the most part I am very happy with it. There are, a few things that bother me; in order of how much they bother me:

1. It is so dark inside. With the tinted automotive windows, the dark carpet and flooring and our dark furniture, it is dark all the time inside. I realized after we bought it that when we looked at it all the lights were on so it looked light, but even in full sun with the shades up we have to turn on the inside lights. This is really annoying, especially since it is our home!!

2. The carpet is very thin and certainly nothing I would pick out for my home. I also dislike the nylon loops which cut the bottoms of my feet.
I am sure we will be replacing it eventually.

3. The light switches for the ceiling fixtures are inside a cabinet and to make it even worse, you can't see them in the dark because there is no light inside. We did put a motion detecting light inside which solves that problem but it's so annoying to have to open a door to turn on a light.

Other than that, we are very happy with our Bighorn. Things I LOVE: The residential refrigerator is wonderful; since we live in it we like

the large freezer. The pantry; I have room enough to store everything I wanted to bring with us. The power awning. So nice to not have to manually roll it up. The beamed ceiling...very attractive and residential feeling.

Being dark inside is one of my complaints also. Your right when in comes to having to open the cabinet to turn on lights but we can turn on the light over the dining table easily as it is right inside the entry door on the left around the slideout wall.

We do have the honey glazed cabinets but that doesn't make difference. Our previous 5th wheel had walnut cabinets but not the tinted windows and it was much lighter inside. Also, we too have the dining room light switch right next to the table on the wall but it is the light over the sink and the ceiling lights in the back of the coach that we use most often. The other thing I didn't mention (well, in this post anyway) is that the mattress they put in is probably the worst I've every encountered. We lasted a week on it (and that was with a memory foam topper) and then bought a new one.

There are lots of things I love about it....the bathroom is fantastic...and I love being able to close off the bedroom completely from the rest of the coach. But most of all I love being retired and able to go wherever we want and stay as long as we want, or move on to a new location when the fancy strikes.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We love out matress. It has a built in memory foam and is very comfortable to us. (guess we us to cheap matresses):) You are right about using the kitchen and living room lights the most. We have to open the switch/monitor center door to access most of the light switches. The welcome back light is nice though so you don't have to walk in, in the dark. It just doesn't stay on long enough sometimes. The welcome back light is a light right at the entry door that automatically come on when you open the front door. There is also a switch in the switch panel that you can turn it on manually also.

sengli

I agree that the carpet is way too thin, with almost no padding under it. I liked the look and the build of the heartland units much more than many of the other brands we toured, before buying. Since we have seen some other high end fivers, and the carpet seemed thicker and much more cushy under my fat feet.

AKDallBH

First mod that I made to our bighorn was to take the door covering all the switches off. I thing this was on the second day we owned it. Makes you wonder if those that design/build the units ever use them!

Hogladyrider

Well we LOVE our 2016 Big Horn 3875FB!

We ordered it without the carpet and if we could have ordered it without carpet in the bedroom we would have!

Our previous 2009 Big Horn we see HUGE improvements in our new Big Horn. The light switches are all labled and very visible right inside the door.

I love that there are many more lights in this Big Horn than our previous one. I do need a step stool to reach the upper shelves in the pantry but that is ok, I will take the storage.

We also have a residential refrig and we really struggled on which refrig to order and we have no regrets, it keeps things colder, even ice cream is now manageable in the freezer and much more storage in the refrig.

The ONLY issue I have is quality control. When we did our PDI it was mostly QC items, things that I would think people building these units would take pride in their workmanship. Example, fill in staple, nail heads with filler.....a little thing but really?

Our shower door, it is a triple, does not want to stay on the track, the drain in the shower was not centered, just minor QC items like I said. Something I am surprised is not caught at the factory as I know Heartland takes pride in their units.

We have seen much less quality in other brands and we are very happy with our Big Horn and we look forward living in it full time for many years after we sell our home.
Susan

alethaj

We love out matress. It has a built in memory foam and is very comfortable to us. (guess we us to cheap matresses):) You are right about using the kitchen and living room lights the most. We have to open the switch/monitor center door to access most of the light switches. The welcome back light is nice though so you don't have to walk in, in the dark. It just doesn't stay on long enough sometimes. The welcome back light is a light right at the entry door that automatically come on when you open the front door. There is also a switch in the switch panel that you can turn it on manually also.

We have the front living room....we have 2 sofas...but neither one make into a bed...so we only have the bed In the bedroom....I don't like that. We too are thinking of getting a new mattress...

jbeletti

One modification to consider is to move a couple of switches from the control panel behind that cabinet door and out to the pantry wall (see red circle in attached image).

Single, double and triple switches are available online and for the handy person, it's a pretty simple job to move the wires over from the old switches to new switches. I've done this for my overhead livingroom and kithen lights in a few coaches and I've helped a few friends to theirs too.

3570.jpg

avvidclif

I don't know where the layout got lost but my first 5er (SOB) in 2011 didn't have a wall switch just inside the door. I was floored and still am. Every previous TT or Class A-C had a switch. Just to the left of the door to turn on an inside light for easy access at night...

Heartland you listening????

Jim, that's great. I don't suppose you would care to write up a "how to" for those of us who aren't quite as talented as you. I would love to have the kitchen overhead and hanging fixture switches on the pantry wall.

One modification to consider is to move a couple of switches from the control panel behind that cabinet door and out to the pantry wall (see red circle in attached image).

Single, double and triple switches are available online and for the handy person, it's a pretty simple job to move the wires over from the old switches to new switches. I've done this for my overhead livingroom and kithen lights in a few coaches and I've helped a few friends to theirs too.

View attachment 38748

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Landmark 365 has an entry light that automatically comes on when you open the entry door, it stays on for a few minutes. that same light has a switch in the control panel to turn it on permanently. VERY NICE feature. no need for a switch inside the door.

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Our 07 3055 has a light switch just inside the door close to the floor so when you open the door you can turn the entry light on . Our cabinets are oak very light and we love it .

jbeletti

Jim, that's great. I don't suppose you would care to write up a "how to" for those of us who aren't quite as talented as you. I would love to have the kitchen overhead and hanging fixture switches on the pantry wall.

Hi Carol and John - I can give you a bit more info on how to do this.
  • Determine what switches you'd like to relocate
  • Purchase (Heartland, Amazon, RV Dealer) the switches
  • Purchase 2 feet of 2-conductor stranded wire (14-16 gauge) per switch
  • Purchase 2 1/4" male and 2 1/4" female spade terminals per switch
  • Gather tools and misc supplies:
    - Blue painter's tape
    - Tape measure or ruler
    - Pen or Sharpie marker
    - Drill with 1/4" drill bit
    - Portable Saber / Jig Saw
    - Wire strippers
    - Wire terminal crimpers
    - Phillips screwdriver
    - Utility knife
Steps for cutting hole(s) for Switch(es)
  1. Determine where you wish to mount the new, external light switches. The location should be very near the current location and care should be taken to ensure no obstructions will be behind the mounting location
  2. Use the painter's tape and mask off the area over the new switch location(s)
  3. Carefully study and measure the back of the switch to determine the exact hole size required to be cut in the wall. Using the tape measure or ruler and pen or Sharpie and layout "cut-out" lines on the painter's tape
  4. If the new location is merely luan (paneling), use the utility knife to carefully cut a hole(s) for the new switch(es). If the new location is a thick cabinet end panel or thick stile, drill a hole in one corner of the "cut-out" you've drawn on the painter's tape, then place the jig saw blade in the hole and carefully cut-out the wood section. Use the utility knife to shave/trim the hole(s) for proper switch fitment, then remove all painter's tape.
Steps for wiring and installing new Switch(es)
  1. Use the screwdriver to remove the switch panel that contains your existing light switches (be careful and don't disconnect any wires at this time)
  2. Make a 2 foot extension cable for each switch to be installed
  3. To each 2 foot piece of 2-conductor wire you purchased, strip the ends (about 1/4")
  4. On both conductors of one end, crimp on 1/4" male spade terminals
  5. On both conductors of the other end, crimp on 1/4" female spade terminals
  6. Push the female terminals onto the terminals of the switch
  7. Push the switch wiring into the switch hole you created in the wall and fish the other end of the wiring up to the old switch
  8. Carefully disconnect the 2 female terminals from the old switch and connect them to the male terminals of your extension wire coming from your new switch
  9. Test operation of the new switch. If it works, install the new switch in the wall and snap on the switch cover (if so equipped)
  10. Repeat for each switch, then carefully reinstall the switch panel.

Here are a couple of pictures where I did this to a 2013 Landmark - link

gdawgs24

I can say we are the proud owners of a new 2017 3970RD. Not only have they put a switch outside the panel, its actually rt below the bottom stair on inside the unit before you even walk up the steps you can walk in and turn on. But wait it get better my unit has a light that comes on when you open the front door and when you close the door it goes off. Now how great is that!!

kg_nc

I would like to see the two grey tanks piped together, that way you truly have 90 gallons to use. Our kitchen tanks are always low, bathroom is always high. I don't know if there's a reason for not doing this or even if it's possible. Thanks.

SNOKING

Put a twist on gate valve on the dump outlet. You can then equalize the tanks manually. Chris