Mattress Platform

Wild Bill

Dedicated Bighorner
I was just curious if everyone else has the same type of mattress platform? I own an 07 3670RL and I was surprised to find just a plank of unfinished particle board under there. No framing or anything. Is that normal? :confused:

GaryB

Bill

When I looked at a BH a few months ago and lifted up the mattress, I saw the same thing -- unfinished particle board. So that must be typical. Not sure what other manufacturers use there. I read here that some folks install a remnant of vinyl flooring, linelium (sp?), etc. there to give a smoother finish (makes it easier to slide the mattress around while making beds).

Garyl

Wild Bill

Dedicated Bighorner
Bill

When I looked at a BH a few months ago and lifted up the mattress, I saw the same thing -- unfinished particle board. So that must be typical. Not sure what other manufacturers use there. I read here that some folks install a remnant of vinyl flooring, linelium (sp?), etc. there to give a smoother finish (makes it easier to slide the mattress around while making beds).

Garyl

Thank you Gary! I may do something like that to mine. It's pretty tight with the king mattress on there.

Bill

ChopperBill

Mine is plywood. I have a Spring-Air memory foam mattress that need rotated once in a while until its broke in. Think it would be easier if I did that tile thing that was mentioned. Cant cost much and is easy to do.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
OSB on ours as well. I had a couple boxes of left-over self-stick vinyl tile and we put them on ours. Makes the mattress easier to scoot for putting the sheets on.

jbeletti

OSB on my '09 Landmark. I had the hinges replaced with a piano hinge and the top of the OSB covered with lino. Easy and inexpensive upgrade if one would want to do it.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have a Bighorn 3400RE and the bed platform is partial board and is very rough making it hard to slide the bed out to make it. I like the idea of a piano hinge. Wish there was more room under there to store items.

Not sure what I want to do about it. I am very surprised that Heartland allows that to go out the door.

OK.. What does OSB mean..

Original Spring Bed.. Give us a heads up when you use the acronyms’.

jbeletti

OSB = Oriented Strand Board. Much different than particle board or plywood.

The 3 hinges that came on my were very serviceable. A piano hinge was available in the shop and I felt it would be even better so I had it put on.

I used my first Landmark for 3 seasons with untreated OSB under the mattress. Never really gave it a second thought. Since then, I have heard on this forum about the benefits to applying linoleum or similar to allow the mattress to slide around for easier bed making. Thought it was a good idea and had it done.

None of this was done at the factory. Just my own upgrade wishes. Bear in mind that if Heartland or any manufacturer incorporated all of the ideas and upgrades that everyone wanted, not many of us would be able to afford one. Lines must be drawn at some point.

That all said, most any product can be improved upon. To all, I suggest, "make it yours" and upgrade to suit your own needs.

Have fun!

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Bear in mind that if Heartland or any manufacturer incorporated all of the ideas and upgrades that everyone wanted, not many of us would be able to afford one. Lines must be drawn at some point.

OK.. If I went out to install a new and better part it would cost me much more than it would Heartland. Heartland can buy things in quantity better than I can. That is why Dell can build a cheaper computer than I can.

I am not talking about placing Bose systems in every unit. But if I have to replace the item or fix it, I am out more cash by purchasing it my self and the one that I paid for that came with the unit, than if I paid an additional amount for a basic unit with quality parts.

Example, tires. Most Mfgrs are adding the cheap tires from China. I have to go and replace them as soon as I get the unit, or take a chance that they may just be good enough to not go flat and tear up my unit that I will have to spend money that would be much more than proper tires.

Now I only use tires for an example. Me.. my unit had 3 Mission tires and 2 of another brand. All Chinese made. I coughed up enough cash to replace the tires with Michelin XP Rib. I know not everyone wants to spend that much on tires but a set of descent American brand would be good.

I believe the majority of the people would handle the additional expense so they don't have to come up with the cash later.

When you bought a car in the 50 & 60's you never expected the car to go 100,000 miles. Now I expect any vehicle to go 125,000 miles. The Mfgrs are now giving lifetime warranty on drive trains. Chrysler, KIA. Ford now gives a better warranty than my 2006's 36,000 miles.

If I don't like the DVD player, fine I can go get one I like but give me one that I can use and not have to replace it. I don't need a Bose..

I mean this respectfully. Not meaning to Flame, please don't take it that way.

FWIW

jbeletti

Thanks for the feedback Bob and I do follow you on this. You're just saying "bring it up to a minimal grade of usability", not "upgrade everything to what I want and make everyone pay for it". So I get that.

And this does happen over time, as Heartland gets feedback that a product choice was was less than adequate.

A recent example is the change from Coby. I "believe" (could be wrong) that due to customer feedback, Heartland uses a better grade audio component (Samsung in most cases) in units that previously used Coby.

Another is the sliding closet door latch (aka the flesh ripper). Due to consistent customer feedback, Heartland recently switched over (on Landmark and Bighorn I believe) to an awesome new latch that is very user friendly.

Point I was making earlier was that there are some that wanted the Bose and Sony components, that wanted the whole house water filters and water softeners etc. - all as standard equipment. And to make everyone pay for that to satisfy those who wanted it, may not be the right thing to do across the board.

That all said, there is so much more that a product owner can do on their own to "make it their own", to enhance their unit to their liking/requirements.

For everyone: Heartland product managers are subscribed to the Design Ideas forums here. Please continue to give them feedback in those forums as to what you feel are ideas they should consider for future production. It's not a two-way forum as the ATFs (Ask The Factory) are but it's a good place to get the point across.

Thank you for the feedback as always.

So Jim, is it possible to purchase this 'awesome new latch' for our rigs that came with the 'flesh ripper'? If so, what's the best way to get them?

soilmovers

Closet door latch

Someone could buy a case and easily sell them at the next rally.

I want to replace mine!

Cindy

Last edited:

jbeletti

Larry,

I don't know for certain if the latch is yet available in service quantities or what the path will be to obtain them.

Chuck,

It's okay to substitute "a Heartland dealer" for "your Heartland dealer". For those who full-time or travel extensively or bought from out of state, I understand that your selling dealer may not be nearby. I wish I could tell you to go to Walmart to get it since they are all over, but not so simple. What answer would you like Chuck?

jimtoo

I went to a flooring store and just purchased a piece of flooring, linoleum or vinyl, they had left over from an install. Got enough to do at least 2 for $15.

j4key1

We Learned Very Quickly 10 Years Ago That Moving The Mattress Often While Making The Bed And Turning It Over For Better Ware -had Some Adverse Reactions.. Caused A Lot Of Small And Large Wood Slivers Embedded In The Mattress And Of Course, The Ones You Feel When You Turn Over At Night. We Discovered Linoleum As The Very Best Answer And It Doesn't Matter How Ulgy The Pattern Is. Carpet Outlets Don't Mind Ridding Themselfs' Of These Items. Our Old And New 5th Has The Same Osb Particle Board As Mattress Support.

jbeletti

Russ,

My unit was at a service center getting the satellite dish and a few other items installed. I just asked them to lino it and they did. Like was stated here by someone else, any color or thickness of lino would do and it should be cheap and easy to do.

My guess is an hour of shop labor at a dealer (~$100) plus lino and glue (~$25).

But, consider stick on square vinyl tiles and do it yourself. Cheapest box will do. Here's an example of 45 one foot squares - enough to do your platform for $13.