Fiat Chrysler to Buy Back 500,000 Pickups in Recall Deal

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
This is big. Wonder what years and models will be in the recalls?

Mburtsvt

Finally! At the least Ram truck owners who are out of warranty can get a different truck or the parts replaced. Choose wisely.

Last edited:

danemayer

"In a consent order issued by NHTSA, Fiat Chrysler commits to take action to get defective vehicles off the roads or repaired. Owners of more than half a million vehicles with defective suspension parts that could cause the vehicle to lose control will have the opportunity to sell their vehicle back to Fiat Chrysler."

GOTTOYS

That sounds like a quick road to bankruptcy....Makes me feel pretty good about getting rid of my Dodge last Winter after dealing with a bunch of problems...Don

olcoon

Wonder how/when we'll find out about this? Pick me, Pick me! I can use a new truck!!!

danemayer

Well, I suppose we can all dream that the buy back offer will be the original sticker price. :)

Somehow I expect it'll be closer to market value based on age, condition and mileage.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
The news stated it would be based on sales price minus depreciation.
My truck is in the list but I have not had any problems with it...wonder if they will offer to buy it before I trade it for my 2016...

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I scraped this off an ABC News article;

Models included in the buyback offer are certain Ram 1500s from 2009 to 2012; the Ram 1500 Mega Cab 4 by 4 from 2008; and the Ram 2500 4 by 4, 3500 4 by 4, 4500 4 by 4, and 5500 4 by 4, all from 2008 through 2012. Also part of the offer are 2009 Chrysler Aspen and Dodge Durango SUVs and the Dodge Dakota pickup from 2009 through 2011. Trace

Wonder if this will bankrupt them? It will be interesting to see how Fiat structured Chrysler. Can they separately dump Chrysler? Everyone should be careful what they wish for.

Bones

What is it that is wrong with the suspension? Does it cause incorrect wear on the fronts?

danemayer

Wonder if this will bankrupt them?

500,000 eligible vehicles
100,000 - guesstimated number of owners who are financially able to take advantage of the buy back. (1)
$10,000 - guresstimated cost to Chrysler per vehicle to resell to wholesalers to sell in other countries.

100,000 * $10,000 = $1,000,000,000. Treated as an expense, so Chrysler gets to reduce taxable income by this amount, reducing the total amount substantially.

Not going to bankrupt the company.

(1) If tens of thousands of RAM owners are suddenly out buying new or late model used trucks, the price of all brands of trucks will go up. With heavy demand, discounts might be hard to come by. Of course this won't be factored into the depreciated value of the old truck.

I doubt that 100,000 owners will take advantage of the offer once they find out how much they get for their truck, and how much a replacement will cost, and how hard it will be to even find a replacement.

But if you're thinking about buying a truck, now might be the time to do so, before prices go up and selection goes down.

Bones

100,000 - guesstimated number of owners who are financially able to take advantage of the buy back. (1)
$10,000 - guresstimated cost to Chrysler per vehicle to resell to wholesalers to sell in other countries.

100,000 * $10,000 = $1,000,000,000. Treated as an expense, so Chrysler gets to reduce taxable income by this amount, reducing the total amount substantially.

(1) If tens of thousands of RAM owners are suddenly out buying new or late model used trucks, the price of all brands of trucks will go up. With heavy demand, discounts might be hard to come by. Of course this won't be factored into the depreciated value of the old truck.

I doubt that 100,000 owners will take advantage of the offer once they find out how much they get for their truck, and how much a replacement will cost, and how hard it will be to even find a replacement.

But if you're thinking about buying a truck, now might be the time to do so, before prices go up and selection goes down.

Great there go my dually dreams.:(

danemayer

What is it that is wrong with the suspension? Does it cause incorrect wear on the fronts?

I recall a few people posting on this forum about broken tie rods and others reporting that parts were hard to come by for the recall.
Summary: Chrysler Group LLC (Chrysler) is recalling certain model year 2008-2012 RAM 2500 4X4 and 3500 4X4 trucks, 2008-2012 Dodge RAM 3500 4x2 Cab Chassis, and model year 2008 Dodge RAM 1500 Mega Cab 4x4. The left tie rod assembly may break.
Consequence: A failure of the tie rod assembly may result in a loss of steering control, increasing the risk of a crash.
Fix: Chrysler notified owners in January 2014. On or about February 27, 2014, Chrysler ceased its recall remedy program due to parts quality concerns, and then re-initiated it on or about April 14, 2014. Vehicles will be inspected to determine if they require repair. The repair involves replacement of the steering linkage assembly. Owners may contact Chrysler at 1-800-247-9753. Chrysler's recall campaign number is N49

wdk450

Its a tie rod end design problem.
My 2004 Ram 3500 was listed as being on the previous recall, and I had gone to the independent tire store with front end pulling, and was told the problem was the tie rod end. I immediately drove to the nearby Dodge dealer, and a service writer crawled under the front end of my truck and told me that my truck was not on the recall. It turns out Chrysler had 2 designs for this part - 1 all 1 piece with the ball joint pressed in; and 1 - 2 part with the ball joint connected to the rest of the rod with a few U-clamps (like muffler clamps). The U clamp type tie rod end is the recalled part (Guess why). I went back to the tire shop, and they got a new tie rod end from NAPA for about $125 (as I remember).

I am still waiting for parts to be made for the air bag recall.

Bones

Its a tie rod end design problem.
My 2004 Ram 3500 was listed as being on the previous recall, and I had gone to the independent tire store with front end pulling, and was told the problem was the tie rod end. I immediately drove to the nearby Dodge dealer, and a service writer crawled under the front end of my truck and told me that my truck was not on the recall. It turns out Chrysler had 2 designs for this part - 1 all 1 piece with the ball joint pressed in; and 1 - 2 part with the ball joint connected to the rest of the rod with a few U-clamps (like muffler clamps). The U clamp type tie rod end is the recalled part (Guess why). I went back to the tire shop, and they got a new tie rod end from NAPA for about $125 (as I remember).

I am still waiting for parts to be made for the air bag recall.

I just looked up on recall and it shows air bags side and drivers. I also see the recall for the fuel leak but they keep telling me my truck is not included. So then why does it show up on safercar recalls? I waited 5 months to get TPMS sensors that they are suppose to replace today. I love the cummins engine but I am getting sick of constantly taking my truck in for repairs.

Mburtsvt

I think your right. It was almost a month until I found the F 350 dually I bought. It seems that here in the Northwest there is a shortage of ford dually’s. They were less than eager to deal until the end of the month - then it was 14% off list.

JanAndBill

That may be partially correct Dan, you're assuming other countries won't jump on the band wagon, and prohibit them from being sold in their country unless suitable repairs have been made. Then there's the little matter of the 105 million dollar fine. All this on the heels of the 1.4 million recall on the hacking threat. Also, assuming there are no more recalls out there, or class action lawsuits, you know sometimes there is a snowball effect, when these things come up. Like stepping in dog crap, no matter how much you shake your foot, the stink just keeps hanging on. Maybe the government will step in and take them over again. Oh wait, that's partly the reason they're where they are now!!! LOL

GOTTOYS

I can't imagine the U.S. Govt. will step in to bail out an Italian company. Maybe this will end with better results than what is apparent. I waited for over a year for my steering linkage when I had a Dodge. They kept telling me they had no parts. I made a little more noise one day and the parts mysteriously showed up the next day. They replace both tie rod ends, the tie rod, the drag link and related parts. The new tie rod was about twice the diameter of the one they took off. I don't know why they haven't expedited these repairs which could have eliminated this whole mess....But what do I know?...Don