Exterior light quit working

alex00

My two bulb clear flood light on over my fuel station quit working. I have DC at the switch and it works. The bulbs appear intact. The visible wires all appear intact. I have no power at the light at all. I tested all the wires and contacts at the bulbs.

Im not sure how the light base comes off the fiberglass side. I couldn't see any visible mounting screws. There haven't been any impacts or problems with the wires at the rear of the trailer. When I pulled the cover it was clean inside with no signs of corrosion.

Lynn1130

Lines coming to and leaving the fuse? I have not pulled my fuse block off for any reason so I am shooting in the dark here but if there is a bad connection there it might allow the fuse to show good and then not have power from that point.

Unfortunately my trailer is about 10 miles away, in storage, so I can't look at the lights to see how they are attached. Sorry I'm not much help there. You might call Heartland Customer Service and see if they can help troubleshoot. They are pretty good about that.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Make sure the lamp has a good ground at the trailer. Some lamps use a screw that goes into the frame as a ground.

alex00

I'll pull my fuse panel for loose wiring but there is power at the switch.

I'm thinking its a ground or wiring issue. I was wary of pulling too much apart at the light. I'll pop it apart again and see how far back I can trace the wires. I couldn't see obvious mounting screws though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

alex00

Well found some good news and bad news. The good news is that the switch for this light was in the front cabinet, not the garage. The light works fine. The bad news is the switch I thought was for the light actually turned on the led awning light. Somehow that switch stayed on burning out my led awning strip. Now I need to look into replacing the awning light. Oh well. At least a functional light works and a decorative light doesn't. Discovering the awning light mixup eliminated a phantom 7 amp load I couldn't track down.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I would think that if the LED lights were on all of this time it would have been noticable!

AAdams

I would think that if the LED lights were on all of this time it would have been noticable!

I could be wrong, but I think the Cyclone is like the RW that we had and uses a Carefree awning. Carefree has the lights in the roller and Dometic has them against the coach. So you can't see if the lights are on if you have a Carefree Awning when it is rolled up.

alex00

I could be wrong, but I think the Cyclone is like the RW that we had and uses a Carefree awning. Carefree has the lights in the roller and Dometic has them against the coach. So you can't see if the lights are on if you have a Carefree Awning when it is rolled up.
He's, my lights wade in the roller. Can't see them until the awning is completely unfurled.
I hope the lites being on did not burn holes in the awning.
One tiny little hole that I have to squint to see. It's right by the roller so I'm not too worried about it.

Im just bummed I made the mistake and now need to fix it. Carefree list the strip light at $80. I hoping a $15 strip off amazon will work.

Lynn1130

I feel your pain. I think we have all had those brain xxxxx that resulted in us having to fix or replace something. I hate to be the one to say it but it probably won't be the last time.

alex00

It's fixed. What a silly mistake. I ordered a new led strip on Amazon for $11 and it looks identical to the oem. I just had to solder the original plug in place. Thankfully it was a very easy fix. I'm sure I won't soon forget what switch does what.