area rug & existing Beauflor

twohappycampers

I was thinking of laying an area rug over top of the living area carpeting large enough to cover all that old carpeting. I'd have to anchor it somehow because I have experienced the "creeping area rug" phenomenon before. And cut a hole out for the floor register. We never move so I'm not worried about having to pull the slides in.

Okay, there is this 10 inch strip of carpet, half Beauflor (sp?) in front of the peninsula. I would like to remove the strip of carpet, right back to the slide carpet. I wouldn't touch the slide carpet. I'm hoping there's Beauflor under that carpeting, don't know why there wouldn't be. But then it's likely glued/nailed down and can't be removed without damaging the flooring underneath? Well, it's definitely glued it seems, when I try to lift it up. What have others found when they tear up that part of the carpet? Any chance the glue can be removed and without damaging the flooring? Thanks!

Update: Got adventurous, pried up a bit of carpeting, looks like no glue Yippee!! but staples which when pulled out of course leave little holes in the flooring. Can the holes be filled or disguised satisfactorily? Or better to leave the holes alone?

Last edited:

rxbristol

I found that the Beauflor did not go all the way to the rear wall (about 3 feet missing). If the holes bother you, use colored silicone that matches the color of the flooring.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I found that the Beauflor did not go all the way to the rear wall (about 3 feet missing). If the holes bother you, use colored silicone that matches the color of the flooring.

Look in the tile section of a big box home improvement store, they have colored caulking to match grout colors. You might find something that would blend with your flooring to carefully fill in the holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TxCowboy

DW and I purchased a very plush area rug from Walmart for about $80 for the carpeted living room area between the two rear slideouts. Covers an area about 6x8 feet or so. It rolls up nicely and we store it in the seats of the two Euro-style recliners when the slides are in.

When it starts to show its age, we'll toss it out and get another one. Saves wear and tear on the original carpet plus adds a nice decorative touch to the living room area.