Back up camera option/ideas for 2014 F350

pharmafrog

All,

Here is what I want: a day/night backup camera on the 5'er that integrates into my SYNC system and can be switched on to override the tailgate camera when the trailer is hooked up. I guess I could slave one of the AUX switches to activate the camera when needed. It would be nice for the system to automatically divert to the trailer cam when the trailer wiring is hooked up, but it may be too much to ask. Thoughts? Ideas? Walkthroughs? Thanks in advance. We put a man on the moon, there has to be a way!

IronJ

If you want to run a bunch of wires, look into adding a lockpic module (WWW.coastaltech.com) to your factory system....it has a provision for 2 additional video inputs which you could technically mount one on the back of your rv?..if you have the touch and not the sync it has even more features...

I too want a camera solution but have not decided....wireless is so nice and easy but with a 40+ ft trailer and then a 18ft truck the distance has been an issue (with the furrion unit at least)..

If you do it let us know!!..

I have the lockpick unit already....so technically I just need a camera on the back and then to snake a bunch of wires to the truck, and then wires from the unit to a plug of some sort in the bed. ..even though I used to install car audio , the project just don't sound fun!..lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
I just purchased a 2016 Torque T30 (stepping up from a Jayco Baja popup camper) and I pick it up on Monday. One of the nice features of this rig is that it has a backup camera already built into it, but I am not sure how this will, or if it can, integrate into the Sync system on my 2015 F250. I am looking for the same solution you are (use my truck's backup camera when not towing, but switch to the trailer camera when it is plugged in). Another request I have is to be able to see the backup camera when I am driving down the road to know if I can change lanes or if I am past someone.

If I find a solution I will post it here. For now, I will keep searching.

Chris Dotson

jimtoo

I just purchased a 2016 Torque T30 (stepping up from a Jayco Baja popup camper) and I pick it up on Monday. One of the nice features of this rig is that it has a backup camera already built into it, but I am not sure how this will, or if it can, integrate into the Sync system on my 2015 F250. I am looking for the same solution you are (use my truck's backup camera when not towing, but switch to the trailer camera when it is plugged in). Another request I have is to be able to see the backup camera when I am driving down the road to know if I can change lanes or if I am past someone.

Chris Dotson

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Enjoy the forum and your new toy.

Jim M

IronJ

Chris Dotson
The lockpick module that I referenced previously is the only way I have found/seen to integrate additional cameras to the factory sync system (which would be mytouch on yours actually)...

What camera came on your unit? Was it dealer installed?..

Let us know if you figure out another way ...

pharmafrog

OK all,

Looks like I am going to go with the Lock Pick. It seems to be the only way and pretty seamless at that. Now to install!! I know what I am doing electrically, BUT....It may be much easier to let a stereo installer (if there are any anymore) do it. I want the wires hidden and he can put a pig tail right by where I hook up the trailer brakes in the bed. A fancy shmancy person could probably rewire the trailer brake harness to include the camera for the trailer. I will inquire. Results to follow.

IronJ

Yeah that's pretty much what I was gonna do exactly....

The wires I was really not looking Fwd to were the ones from back of trailer to the kingpin..

Just look up a custom stereo shop/installer in your area. ..it's a simple process really, but tedious...

I used to look Fwd to those "projects "....not so much anymore. ....lol

pegmikef

How does the LockPick deal work? I tried plugging my old TT portable backup camera receiver video output into the My Touch video input and it worked just great until I shifted into reverse, then the video defaulted to the tail gate camera.

IronJ

The lock pick overides the system...letting you watch a dvd while moving ,and providing additional inputs you can actually switch to/from while moving as well....it basically gives you freedom to do what you want ...depending on if you have sync or touch it gives more or less options. ..

The camera came pre-installed by the factory on the Torque T30, but I am not sure of the model. I pick it up on Monday and go through our full walkthrough so I will make sure that we ask about it there and update this group. Sounds like the LockPick is a great seamless solution if they do not already have something for it.

Update: When I purchased my TH I found out that it was wired for a backup camera, but that I had to purchase it separately. I talked with my sales person about this because he said that it came with one and since it did not he said he would get it for me at no charge. After 3 months and multiple escalations later, I finally received my backup camera. The maker of the camera is Furrion and it is the same maker as the radio. It came prewired with a housing for the wireless Furrion camera. Once I got it all I had to do was remove the cover on the top rear of the camper and put the wireless camera in place. There is a screen (about 7"" that you mount using a suction cup to your windshield and plug into the lighter. Whenever your vehicle lights are on the camera will come on so you can see when backing up or when you are driving down the road. You can always turn the monitor off if you don't want to see the screen while you are driving at night. So far I am happy with the wireless camera. Even with a long trailer (34') I still get good reception even when driving. Since the camera is mounted at the very top of the back of the TH it is not very useful when driving because you can only see directly down from the top of the TH, but for backing up it makes it nice to make sure you are not going to run into anything. Since I did not have to hook this up to the vehicle screen I can still see the hitch when backing up to see how close I am to turning too far (watch the hitch against the bumper) and also see the back of the TH. The only downside is that it took Heartland and the dealer over 3 months to figure out how to get the camera to me.