What size is too big?

sJv

Hello all,

I am in the market for a 5th wheel, and am really impressed with the Sundance. This is our 1st 5th wheel as we've outgrown our truck camper. We will mainly do weekend and 1 week trips to local northern CA state or Federal campgrounds. Because of this, we are looking for something on the smaller side. The question is, how small do we need to go to fit into many of these places (like the normal sites at Yosemite)? My wife likes the 245RL and I do too, but I wouldn't mind something a little bigger. We prefer the rear living area type of floor plan, so the next size up would be the 287RL and 2800RLS. At over 30', I worry these would be too big. The discontinued 2700RLS may have been a good compromise. We keep comparing these to the Keystone Cougar (our previous top choice!), whose 276RLS model is similar to the 2700RLS, but a foot shorter.

Does anyone else camp in the smaller campgrounds?

Thanks!

-steve

StevieWonder

I own a 2800RLS and it's perfect if you don't have a ton of kids or others that will sleep in the unit. It's big enough to be VERY roomy and small enough to be easy to tow without having to buy BigFoot to pull it.

NO problem getting into the tighter slots at campgrounds. The front cap is unique in that it allows near-90 degree turns. I have a crewcab shortbed so if you're in an extended cab or standard cab, the improved tow vehicle turn radius makes it even easier.

I enjoy the rear living area because I search out campgrounds with great views and the picture window in the back is great for sitting and enjoying the view.

LOTS of storage space in the 2800RLS. Always an issue, especially if you engage in longer trips. In hotter areas the lack of a second AC unit may be an issue but you can direct more air to the bedroom at night and to the living area in the day. I also put some clear energy film on the windows in the living area which really cuts down on the radiant heat without messing up the view.

sealman

Having camped in both northern and southern CA. I remember that alot of the state and especially national campgrounds only allowed very small campers, so I would check with the ones you stay at, and be sure.
John

fishn2dmax

If you plan to stay at federal campgrounds, you'll want the 5'er to 30' or less. I stay at unimproved Federal campgrounds in the West. Admittedly, there have been a few times when I wished I had a smaller 5'er. However, 90% of the time I've been able to find / squeeze into a spot with our 32' 2900 MK. Biggest problem I've had in Federal campgrounds is low hanging trees and large rocks on either side of the camp site spur. When a federal campground looks tight or has overhanging trees, I actually walk/ bike the path in and out of the campground before entering with the 5'er. I know this has saved me a few times.

sJv

Thanks for the responses. I looked at a few nor cal campgrounds that we've been to before. I am seeing that some of them only allow really small RV's, like 22ft or less. Of those that will handle a larger RV, the difference between the 24ft and 29ft models (model number only) is not much. Basically, if the campground will allow the 245RL, the 2800RLS should fit as well.

I just ordered the 2800RLS from Lakeshore RV. I can't wait!

-steve

Cirrus

I've got a 2800RLS and I'm glad that I didn't buy any bigger! Many of the State campgrounds I visit in the Pacific Northwest were built 40-50 years ago when eveyone had 18 foot trailers. I've had a tough time getting into some spots, and many of them I can't go into at all now (Deception Pass... about 40% of the spots are now too small or too narrow). Also having a two slide unit is much better then a 3 slide unit for us (for reasons mentioned above.)
We love our RV, but for our style of camping a 29 ft or less unit would have been better- but we do love the floorplan.

dewwood

I don't think you will find any modern camper that will fit some of the sites in the some of the older campgrounds. We have the 2700RL and love it. I wish I would have ordered the 2800RLS cause it is only about a foot longer and gives more storage. We have not lacked for storage even on some longer trips however and the unit pulls better than my old 20' TT, you hardly know its back there. As noted above be sure to look for low branches and obstructions before entering as they can cause serious damage.

We got our unit at Lakeshore and were pleased with the experience. We are close enough we drove up and picked it up. Have fun and I am sure you will like your Sundance, we love ours.