Mice?

Coog

Hello all first post on here. I have a 2014 Bighorn RE3110. I have had a few minor signs they have been in the storage and inside not many signs though and they are gone. Wondering if anyone else has had them get in, on a new trailer for the money I paid there should be nooooo way left for them to get in. I have had 3 Travelaire trailers ( all 5ers ) in the past a ever a sign of mice getting in? Anyone know the lickly access on a 3110?
will post pictures of the truck and trailer once I figure out how to! Lol

danemayer

Ho Coog,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people. I'm sure some will chime in with ideas on how to keep mice out of your trailer.

Sniper

Hello all first post on here. I have a 2014 Bighorn RE3110. I have had a few minor signs they have been in the storage and inside not many signs though and they are gone. Wondering if anyone else has had them get in, on a new trailer for the money I paid there should be nooooo way left for them to get in. I have had 3 Travelaire trailers ( all 5ers ) in the past a ever a sign of mice getting in? Anyone know the lickly access on a 3110?
will post pictures of the truck and trailer once I figure out how to! Lol
I would suspect the front landing legs. Also it takes no time for one to scurry up the ramp. When your hooked to a full hook up site they can get right on top of the lines leading up to your rig. If there is a gap, they'll find it. When we winterize ours for the winter moth balls are part of the program. (we put them in coffee filters and put them everywhere there is a water line leading into our rig, and in where the front landing legs go up into the front compartment. So far so good)

Safe travels. :)

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Is you BH parked at your home or in storage?? Mice getting into a trailer or car/truck is not uncommon. Happens all the time. Never had a mouse in our BH, but opened the hood of my TV and a rat fink was looking me in the eye. The BH and TV have been parked in the driveway of our home for almost 8 years. Get a hungry cat if your BH is at home.

Coog

Bob the first winter was in my yard off back alley but moved last year and can't keep it at home so in a storage but is grassy etc. that is where I got the signs, never ever had a mouse in a vehicle or any of my other trailers either 4 Travelaire's and a prowler previous to the Bighorn. I talked to a factory rep at the Calgary RV show he told me their trailers don't have mouse probes at all, I think we would disagree ;)

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Coog, whats a mouse probe?? Get expanding foam and fill all the voids in the coroplast where water, gas and other openings are.

GOTTOYS

I have never had a mouse problem with my Big Country but I've had them at home in my garage and shed. From my experience, moth balls, dryer sheets and peppermint oil only work if there are no mice to start with. Poison, traps and cats work very well. I always leave a couple packages of De-Con opened up in mine. If it has been eaten, then I know there's a problem. I did check under mine and sealed up even the smallest openings...Don

- - - Updated - - -

Check the corners of your slides when they are in, chances are you will be able to see a gap there. I had them get into mine last year thru the door side front side of slide. Once they are in they use your heat ducts to get into the basement. When the slides are out it is sealed tight, but when closed not so much. I plug the corners with steel wool when not in use.

Doc323

I had them get into my 2012 Big Country last winter found poop everywhere in the fridge all the drawers the bed and even on roof, but most of the damage in the A/C ducts, when I turned the A/C on this year styrofoam came out of all the vents. Found a hole with a mirror that looks like they got in to the duct from the wall between the bath & kitchen. No way to fix it, found a hole above the batts where a wire goes into the bedroom that was not sealed.:mad:

Westwind

We had a bad experience with them on our second year owning our Bighorn. We slept in our bed on our 2nd night going to Florida and unknown to us a mouse had nested in the bed, my wife found it the next morning - we also found lots of stuff in our drawers other then our clothes. I foam filled all holes in the floor where pipes came into the trailer, the race above the storage door on the door side needs to be dealt with also
Now I put containers of fox pee that I get at the local Agway store around the outside of the trailer, hang the containers on the legs and put dryer sheets all over the inside. So far we haven't had a repeat.

Jim.Allison

A service manager at a truck dealership told me that I would be surprised at the damage done to trucks by rodents eating the insulation off wires. I wonder just how vulnerable a fiver is.