Need Tow Vehicle for 2012 Landmark San Antonio

Looking for advice on best tow vehicle. F350/F450, Ram 3500, Single Rear Wheel, Dual Rear Wheel??? Any advice would be great. My company moved my 5er for me over the past few years and I didn't need a tow vehicle; however now settled into a home and would like to use it for personal travel. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Dry Weight (lbs)
GVWR (lbs)
Hitch Weight (lbs)

jimtoo

Hi percygood7,

Welcome to the posting side of the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I, myself, would never go with anything less than a 1 ton dually. The make is up to you. What ever brand you like will work. I am a GM person, but do not hold a grudge against anyone that goes Ford or Dodge. So .... your gonna get lots of recommendations from our other members, but choose which one you feel comfortable in.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Brand of TV is your choice. A DRW for the GVW and pin load. Forget the empty weight..its the GVW of 16250# you need to concern yourself with and I bet the pin weight will be higher than 2860# and over 3K when loaded for travel.

Birchwood

16250 x .20 = 3250 lb would be the max pin weight for your Landmark.Buy a truck with a GVWR to accommodate this weight not a dry weight value.
Look for a truck that has a GVWR over 11400 lb stamped on the door sill and you will be legal .SRW or DRW will be your choice !

I appreciate all of the great responses. You all pretty much confirmed for me my thoughts on this. I am also considering a Frieghtliner M2 sport chassis. Thanks again. This forum has been a great help to me over the last 3.5 years since I bought my 5er. Looking forward to using it for fun vice work. ;)

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
I wouldn't recommend a SRW application for any rig that has 3000# or more pin weight. Will a SRW do it? Probably, but much like running E rated tires on a trailer that size and weight, you are always working those tires at or above their capacity, which is a recipe for failure. I feel the same is true with a SRW truck vs. a DRW truck. The added stability and carrying capacity of the DRW is great piece of mind IMHO.

Rod

tomsws6

Dont be like me............. Buy more truck than you need.... I know from recent experience.. I would look at mainly payload capacity as everything else from what Iv seen will fall into place.. From what Im finding any of the big 3 from 2008 on will pretty much do the job but DRW!!!

SilverRhino

I appreciate all of the great responses. You all pretty much confirmed for me my thoughts on this. I am also considering a Frieghtliner M2 sport chassis. Thanks again. This forum has been a great help to me over the last 3.5 years since I bought my 5er. Looking forward to using it for fun vice work. ;)

I would not tow a trailer of that size with anything less than a MDT, like the Fl M2. I have always followed the "more truck the better" rule and have been towing since the late 60's. You will have much better stopping power with the MDT. This is just my opinion......Not interested in, or trying to start an argument over the capabilities of pickups!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We tow our 2013 Landmark San Antonio with a 2012 Ford F350 dually diesel. We do have airbags on the truck. We have towed it all over the place and have not had any issues. BTW we have Mor-Ryde IS and disc brakes on the Landmark. If you want to spend the money for a MDT go for it but the tow ratings on the Ford F350 are adequate for the Landmark.

SilverRhino

We tow our 2013 Landmark San Antonio with a 2012 Ford F350 dually diesel. We do have airbags on the truck. We have towed it all over the place and have not had any issues. BTW we have Mor-Ryde IS and disc brakes on the Landmark. If you want to spend the money for a MDT go for it but the tow ratings on the Ford F350 are adequate for the Landmark.

Out of curiosity..... What are the scale numbers for your rig ready to travel?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Out of curiosity..... What are the scale numbers for your rig ready to travel?

Here is what was weighed at the Escapees Rainbow park. BTW the weights are ready to travel (we travel with empty tanks - except the fresh water with just enough to flush with)

trailer weight is 16410
truck is 9450

Combined weight is 25860

The rating for the truck from Ford are fifth wheel towing 21500 and GCWR is 30000. Pin weight is 3900

I do have the individual wheel weights as well and we do have H rated tires.

Hope this helps.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We went with 05 Chevy 3500 drw 6.6 long bed. So far so good

If you are towing a Landmark with this, you may be overloaded.

Check out fifthwheelst.com for unbiased, safe towing info.

We had a 2004 GMC 3500 dually, and I know it would be overloaded on the truck GVWR and the GCWR (trailer + truck) for a trailer over 15,500 lbs.