Rear Hitch??

Delaine and Lindy

Need to know if Heartland installs a rear receiver hitch for a Bicycle's to be carried on. Our basement in the Landmark isn't as big as our last 5th wheel so we will have to have a rear mount of some kind. If not what or who would be your recommendation. Thanks... GBY....

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Lindy
Have you seen the bike rack that attaches to the Pin Box. I have seen two of them lately. If you have a full size bed you will have enough room to add the bike rack. I also think there would be less bounce and shock on the bikes and rack.

I don't know where to find one but I can find out if your intrested. Friend of mine has one on his Teton.

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
My wife saw one of those on our way to Elkhart this past week end. The only one I have been able to find on the INTERNET was here http://www.bellrpg.net/soderbloom/RV/grouppart.asp?MAJ=036&PRI=024&SEC=065&GRP=%2020801 it is not cheap but the hitch we had put on our Landmark was not cheap either. I do not believe Heartland will install one nor will they recommend installing one on their product. I base this on a post that was made by Scott before he left Heartland but he did go on to say that they had a very strong 12 inch frame. Someone will please correct me if I am wrong.

Don

TRAVELER07

Founding New Mexico Chapter Leader
Delaine and Lindy, we installed a cargo platform receiver for our generator and also tied receiver extension for a bike rack had the bumper reinforced, and tied the cargo platform receiver welded to the frame and also reinforced by our local rv dealer. with no problem towing I have gotten used to it.

rick7t7

We purchased our 09 BH3670 from Rvs for Less in Knoxville, TN and Butch offered a receiver hitch as a dealer installed option. We elected to have them do it and once they received the 5er from the factory, they installed it. Very professional looking job and we'll use it now for our Swagman bike carrier until we get something type of generator platform.

truknutt

Committed Member
Here is a link to the manufacturer of the racks in Goldwinger's post (#3). The photos are larger & it gives a better understanding of how it mounts to the hitch head.

Pricey...although, if you really study the photos and you are a resourceful person, fabrication of the attaching brackets seems easy enough; basically 2 "L brackets" with mounting holes. Then you can attach your choice of bike platforms to the brackets.

RVerFulltime

Fulltiming Since 2004
I would like to put our bicycles on the back of the Landmark Cape Cod. I am not a structural engineer, so I do not understand why a 2" reciever hitch on the rear of the fifth wheel is not recommended by the factory.

Would Heartland void the fifth wheel warranty if I had a 2" hitch welded on the back?

Since a 2" receiver hitch is not an option I can get from the factory, I now have a question about the structural integrity of the back of the fifth wheel. Is there a problem with the strength of the frame? Or something else?

Ted

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Ted, welcome to the forum. I'm sure you will find answers to all your questions here. As far as adding a 2" reciever to your frame, many people have done just that. I have not heard of any frame failures because of it. And I don't know if adding one would automaticaly void your warranty unless the addition was the cause of a frame failure. Manufacturers have got to protect their products by adding disclaimers. For example, a couple of bikes hanging on the back reciever should not be a problem. But if someone hitches up a 30' travel trailer to the back that might be a problem. If any manufacturer said it's ok to add a receiver there is no guaranty as to what the owner would do with it. I don't know if what I said is correct, but I didn't hesitate to add one to my Bighorn.
Peace
Dave

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Cookie is correct on several points. I dont think the bike rack is the issue with the frame. No the bikes dont weigh enough to cause any damage. The issue would be someone who hangs a Harley Davivson on the rear of a coach. The rear crossmember would probably not hold the weight. Also the weight on the rear of the coach might take enough pin weight of the TV to cause a squirrely pulling trailer. My 2 cts. Bob:D

geeksrus

Here is a link to the manufacturer of the racks in Goldwinger's post (#3). The photos are larger & it gives a better understanding of how it mounts to the hitch head.

Pricey...although, if you really study the photos and you are a resourceful person, fabrication of the attaching brackets seems easy enough; basically 2 "L brackets" with mounting holes. Then you can attach your choice of bike platforms to the brackets.

I have this on my unit... works well. On my previous 5er, I had a receiver welded to the pin box & used a Swagman bike rack. Lots of ideas regarding this on RVNet's forum.

Eh!

geeksrus

I have this on my unit... works well. On my previous 5er, I had a receiver welded to the pin box & used a Swagman bike rack. Lots of ideas regarding this on RVNet's forum.

Eh!