Buying new tow vehicle, question is which rear end to get.

beck-mark

recently purchased new elk ridge 29rk and have been towing with 2001 F250 power stroke with 3.73 gears. before all yall start heading for the tow ratings on the 2001 im under the GVWR by a good 2000# but my payload weight rating im right at max so when I load half the bed down with firewood no telling how much im over, anyway upgrading to a F350 dually 2016 model and really want to get the high capacity tow package which includes 4.30 gears instead of the standard 3.73 for dually. it also includes a wide track front end which allows for shorter turning radius. (same as f450) anyway what do yall recommend 3.73 or 4.30. gvwr on the elk ridge is 13000# and I do keep a truck along time so I need room to upgrade camper also. Im looking at retireing in next 5 to 7 years and will be full timing when that happens my plan is to have truck paid for then retire and travel for about 10 yrs. so truck should be last big tow vehicle I buy in my lifetime.

MagnoliaTom

I guess it depends on how often you'll be towing and will it be a daily driver when not towing. Cemill is correct in that the 3.73 will tow anything. The better mileage part I believe is true when not towing. The reason I say that is I just traded an 05 f250 with 3.73 gears got an 06 f350 dually with 4.10 gears. Daily driving I got about 2 mpg better with the f250. However, while towing I actually get about .5 mpg better with the f350. Others who have a truck with the tow boss option (4.30) can give better insight

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
I love the turning radius on our 450. As far as gearing goes my thoughts are "I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it" I don't pay attention to milage so I'm no help there.

BBslider001

My first question is why are you getting rid of the 2001 7.3? That truck is head and shoulders above these newer trucks with reliability and ease of maintenance. They are also very easy to upgrade if you are looking for more power and better economy. Doesn't answer your question....maybe it does? LOL

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We have had 2 different 1 ton trucks, one a '09 Ram 3500 single rear wheel and our current '14 Ram 3500 dually, both having the 3.73 rear-end. The '09 had better fuel mileage both pulling and as a daily driver but we like the stability of the dually better while pulling but it's not parking lot friendly. As for pulling the 3.73 is fine even pulling mountain grades. If you go to the 4.10 rear-end you will start to loose fuel mileage.

jnbhobe

I have a 15 with the max tow it's really a great truck especially with the turning radius towing mileage is 10 empty runs about 16

whp4262

The best rear end? Well that would be the one with a Chevy on top of it. Ha ha sorry, couldn't resist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bohemian

The ability to tow with any one diff ratio is reflected in the max towing spec. If you have sufficient max tow capacity and a little extra you are good to go.

When it comes to 2500/250 trucks you better pay closer attention to the max payload/GVWR/ and axle ratings. These can be easily exceeded when towing a 5th.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...-Towing-Specifications?highlight=towing+specs

beck-mark

My first question is why are you getting rid of the 2001 7.3? That truck is head and shoulders above these newer trucks with reliability and ease of maintenance. They are also very easy to upgrade if you are looking for more power and better economy. Doesn't answer your question....maybe it does? LOL

BBslider001, getting rid of 2001 because you cant upgrade the payload capacity that im already pushing over. also will most likely be upgrading camper in next 5 or 6 years and will deffinitly need a dually because of payload.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a 15 with the max tow it's really a great truck especially with the turning radius towing mileage is 10 empty runs about 16

Thanks for this information this is what im looking for. I know the 3.73 gear will pull that's what ive got currently. I feel the turning radius is a big plus. that mileage not unlike what I get wth my 2001.

- - - Updated - - -

I love the turning radius on our 450. As far as gearing goes my thoughts are "I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it" I don't pay attention to milage so I'm no help there.

my kind of thinking also

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for all the great comments. great information here, would love to hear from more folks with the max towing package pluses and minuses.

dbbls59

My truck had the 3.73 and this tows my Big Country just fine. Your Elkridge is lighter so you will not have a problem.

Wmnmy

I had 2011 f250 with 3.73 it pulled the 29rksa great got f350 with3.73 it pulls bighorn great you will love it ...

RRT

I originally pulled our Landmark with an 08 F-250 which had 3.55 gears. I quickly realized the weight was to much for an F-250 and traded for a 14 F-350 DRW with 3.73 gears. The difference in pulling was amazing and I fill less stressed after a day of towing. The fuel mileage is about 2 MPG better with the newer 6.7 engine when towing. The truck has plenty of power. I think you will be impressed with the pulling power of the new diesel trucks available today.

travlingman

I had 2011 f250 with 3.73 it pulled the 29rksa great got f350 with3.73 it pulls bighorn great you will love it ...

If you have the 6.7 diesel, you don't have the 3.73 gearing unless you got it aftermarket. SRW F-250's and 350's only come with 3.31's and 3.55's from the factory.

4.30's will hurt mileage, but the wide track front end would be nice.

beck-mark

If you have the 6.7 diesel, you don't have the 3.73 gearing unless you got it aftermarket. SRW F-250's and 350's only come with 3.31's and 3.55's from the factory.

4.30's will hurt mileage, but the wide track front end would be nice.

I believe your mistaken the ones that are most prevalent on dealer lots are 3.31 and 3.55 but you can order SRW with 3.73 gearing and every now and then find one on a lot.

travlingman

I believe your mistaken the ones that are most prevalent on dealer lots are 3.31 and 3.55 but you can order SRW with 3.73 gearing and every now and then find one on a lot.

You can only get 3.73 gearing with a SRW if you buy a gas engine. Here is a link to the Ford spec page that you can look and see. http://www.ford.com/trucks/superduty/specifications/towing/ With a diesel engine and SRW only the 3.31 and 3.55 are available, no other choices. Has been that way since the 6.7 came out.

jnbhobe

3.73 gears are available from Ford fleet if you have a fleet number or the dealer ordered one that wasn't delivered.

Sent from my K010 using Tapatalk

travlingman

3.73 gears are available from Ford fleet if you have a fleet number or the dealer ordered one that wasn't delivered.

Sent from my K010 using Tapatalk

Can you provide more info on this as this would be very valuable for all. What are the ratings for the 3.73's in a SRW? It has to raise all the ratings(GVWR, GCWR) and I would be interested to know this. I have never talked to a dealer who knew you could do this and I can let them know. This could be a game changer for some of us in the SRW verses DRW.