Sagging bed platform

8amps

We have a 72x80 standard RV king bed. We replaced the Bed with a Denver Mattress regular inner spring firm mattress with a foam topper. We replaced the mattress because it was sagging and incredibly uncomfortable but now that we have replaced the mattress, much to my dismay, it is doing the same thing. So I hoisted up the bed and it turns out the particle board the mattress rests on is sagging. Garry redid his platform with plywood. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and how they rectified it. Our bed lifts up to a shallow storage area roughly the width of the bed. There is a thin sheet of "wood" separating the rest of the compartment for the slide hydraulics.
We are full timers so sleep comfort is high on my list.

GOTTOYS

I had the same problem. I made a couple "beams" out of 2x4s that span the width of the bed and hold up the center. Works great....Don

8amps

Hi Don, how did you fasten the supports? The thin sheet on the bottom would certainly not add any support. Did you just attach it to the railing (probably less than 2" & hollow) at the head and foot of the box.

GOTTOYS

Hi Don, how did you fasten the supports? The thin sheet on the bottom would certainly not add any support. Did you just attach it to the railing (probably less than 2" & hollow) at the head and foot of the box.
I would have to look. Put mine in place a few years ago and never store anything under there . If I remember I built up the ends with some blocks so it sits on a rail that goes around the outside edge of the bed...I know it isn't attached to anything and just rests on it. I can look next week when we go out again...Don

8amps

Ha ha Terry - I was just thinking about you and June the other day. We went it to a place for lunch and there was a sign with a riddle.
"How can a pocket be empty and still have something in it?"
Hope you are both doing well.
As for the platform, shall we say warped instead of sagging? We got 3/4" plywood and will be replacing the OSB with that. Hopefully that will make a difference. I'm not ashamed to admit I am a bit of a "princess and the pea" when it comes to sleep. And Phil indulges me. We have been married for 22 years this month so I guess it is not a bad plan. :)

MTPockets

Mary!.... I would never suggest you needed anything remotely like Nutrisystem.:p I thought maybe a previous owner or other heavy object.��.... I would like the answer to that riddle.

GOTTOYS

I got a chance to look at what I did to make my bed supports. I laid a 2x4 that was laminated to a 1x4 across the frame in 2 places. It is just the right thickness to fit flush against the bottom of the hinged platform that the mattress sits on. It extends all the way way across and the ends rest on the inside rail of the bed frame that runs along the sides under the thin material (plywood?) that covers the hydraulics under the bed....Hope all this makes sense...Don