Independent suspension

jjwink

Why doesn't HL offer IS as an option? Now you have to order a new unit, take delivery and take it to
Lippert, pay $3500 to have brand new axels removed and IS installed!! With our "cousin" DRV you can order it with IS. Please HL - add IS to new orders! Might keep current owners when we want new units.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Lippert does not use Mor/Ryde products. I think that the IS can be added, but you have to have HL and Mor/Ryde agree to work together.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I agree that it's unacceptable to be forced to buy a new trailer with a brand new suspension on it and then have it taken to Mor Ryde to have it removed and pay to have the IS installed. I remember that Tom M. was going to discuss this with management a few months ago but nothing has changed.

It is my understanding that when DRV builds a unit with IS and disk brakes, they install the equipment in their factory and then have it checked by Mor Ryde for QC. I'm not certain how other manufacturers handle IS and disk brake installs.

danemayer

If I were paying for I.S., I don't think I'd want MorRyde's charges to be marked up by Heartland and again by the dealer. $4,000 could easily turn into $10,000.

Last edited:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I agree that it's unacceptable to be forced to buy a new trailer with a brand new suspension on it and then have it taken to Mor Ryde to have it removed and pay to have the IS installed. I remember that Tom M. was going to discuss this with management a few months ago but nothing has changed.

It is my understanding that when DRV builds a unit with IS and disk brakes, they install the equipment in their factory and then have it checked by Mor Ryde for QC. I'm not certain how other manufacturers handle IS and disk brake installs.

When we toured DRV last year they said that when the Mor-Ryde IS and disc brakes are added the unit is taken to Mor-Ryde to have it done. DRV does not do it. I have been told that is part of the issue that Mor-Ryde IS is only done at the Mor-Ryde location in Elkhart and not the factory so it slows down production. Seems to me that something could be worked out though.

bdb2047

Several toured DRV in June. My understanding at factory was same as what Jay has said. The IS and disc brakes adds about 700# over the weight of axles and drum brakes that come from factory. I had it installed at Mor=Ryde 2 years ago. If done at factory it would show in UVW which would reduce carrying capacity unless GWVR was raised. I think the weight of IS is some the reason not offered as an option.

jjwink

My bad-- yes it is Mor Ryde! We would like a new Landmark BUT want IS. So what to do?

avvidclif

My bad-- yes it is Mor Ryde! We would like a new Landmark BUT want IS. So what to do?

Sit down and make a list. 2 columns, call one column IS and the other Dexter axles

List the pluses and minuses for each and then make a decision.

OR do you have a specific need or reason for IS???

wdk450

Sit down and make a list. 2 columns, call one column IS and the other Dexter axles

List the pluses and minuses for each and then make a decision.

OR do you have a specific need or reason for IS???

You MIGHT be able to buy through a Heartland dealer in the Elkhart/Goshen area, and have them tow it to MorRyde for upgrade, and then have it towed to you, or take delivery in Indiana. Don't forget the MorRyde discounts available through the Heartland Owners National rallies. Also, call and talk to MorRyde. They are EXTREMELY cooperative, although they also watch out for stepping on RV manufacturer's/dealers toes.

When I had my disk brakes done there, I saw a few new units being towed in to MorRyde them by the RV transporters.

jjwink

This is why we want Independant suspension- happened on our trip home from Canadian Maritimes. Luckily we got it home. Thought we had alignment problem only to see this! On a five year old fifth wheel this will be major repair. This is the door side which really does not have a lot of weight. The front hanger is cracked.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 166

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
This is why we want Independant suspension- happened on our trip home from Canadian Maritimes. Luckily we got it home. Thought we had alignment problem only to see this! On a five year old fifth wheel this will be major repair. This is the door side which really does not have a lot of weight. The front hanger is cracked.

Looks to me like this is a great time for the IS. Keep in mind there are no springs or spring hangers with the IS. Let Mor-Ryde take care of it.

GOTTOYS

Not a good thing that happened, but a good welding fab shop can cut the rest of the hanger off and weld a new one on in its' place in an hour or two. $200.00-300.00 bucks and it's done....Don

danemayer

This old thread may be helpful. If your hangers are spaced for Lippert suspension and you have Dexter suspension, they're too close together and there's excessive force being applied to all your suspension components. It's possible that could have over time produced the problem you have.

I'd suggest you measure the spacing and refer to the info in that old thread and then call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. Even though the trailer is 5 years old, it's possible Heartland might elect to pay to have the hangers correctly mounted.

jbeletti

Why doesn't HL offer IS as an option? Now you have to order a new unit, take delivery and take it to
Lippert, pay $3500 to have brand new axels removed and IS installed!! With our "cousin" DRV you can order it with IS. Please HL - add IS to new orders! Might keep current owners when we want new units.

Many dealers will coordinate with MORryde to get IS installed before your coach is delivered to the dealer. Ask your dealer if they can do this. Many will.

Not the answer you wanted - but an option to consider. As a side note and of little consolation, MORryde allows you to take your removed axles/breaks with you if you want them to sell or give away.

wdk450

Jerry and Judy:
What you probably need most during your frame repair is the addition of crossmembers and gusseting at the suspension hangar points between the 2 main I beams running front to back on the trailer. The way almost all of the 5th wheels are made, the axles are connected to the frame suspension hangars, and as you twist side-to-side going down the curves of a road the side forces from the axles are transferred to the stand alone I beams. The addition of welded crossmembers with gusset plates between the I beams means you now have a steel welded box, keeping the I beams correctly positioned. MorRyde builds this box as part of the IS install.
This is a recognized problem by the RV insurance industry, the 5th wheel frame industry, MorRyde (who makes a telescoping bolt-on crossmember device), and the welder I used for my repair last fall in Cloverdale, Ca. I will attach a link to my thread on the subject, which has links to my Google drive, where I have photos of the damage and the repair.

Here is a link to the thread: //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/48295-Badly-Bent-Frame-A-Trend?

wdk450

your Insurance company paid for that?

The insurance adjuster was very considerate and kind, but could not authorize claim payment as no collision was involved. It cost me $5300 to fix, and my interior floors are still sloped. The welder did a similar repair on another brand of 5th wheel just a few weeks before mine, and he is just a small-town, general welding shop, not specializing in RV repair.