Winter Wonderland

Mandlit

We live in the Okanagan Valley BC Canada. We want to live in our new Tourque 325 SS during the next 3 years. I have a basic idea of the skirting and the heating of the underbelly. We will have a park that has year round services to stay. My questions are for emergency power to run the furnace are there any generators that start when the power is interrupted and the furnace needs to operate. Also when using electric heat sources is it safe not to run the furnace for extended periods. Finally will not running the furnace have enough heat to keep the pipes and tanks underbelly from freezing. The bottom is closed with a thin plastic bottom liner. The winters here get from +5C to -20C below. Mostly hoover about -5C below average, so that's about it. Would appreciate any advise.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We live in the Okanagan Valley BC Canada. We want to live in our new Tourque 325 SS during the next 3 years. I have a basic idea of the skirting and the heating of the underbelly. We will have a park that has year round services to stay. My questions are for emergency power to run the furnace are there any generators that start when the power is interrupted and the furnace needs to operate. Also when using electric heat sources is it safe not to run the furnace for extended periods. Finally will not running the furnace have enough heat to keep the pipes and tanks underbelly from freezing. The bottom is closed with a thin plastic bottom liner. The winters here get from +5C to -20C below. Mostly hoover about -5C below average, so that's about it. Would appreciate any advise.

Keep in mind your furnace will operate on 12volt without 120v.

Mandlit

Yes but for how long? Will the dual 6 volt battery's charged to full run the furnace for emergency heat for a few Hr's or a couple of cycles ??? I'm just confused about keeping the pipes and tanks from freezing if lengthy power outages. I was told an Onan genset. would run automatically when battery goes to low. Was I informed wrong or can this sytem save an extremely expensive repair bill ?? Thanks for any info just learning before the winter gets here is a challenge.

danemayer

Hi Mandlit,

I don't believe the Onan generator on your Torque comes with an automatic start that fires it up when shore power goes off. However, I think it's possible to add that capability. Here's a link to an Onan Fact Sheet.

As for not running the furnace - you need to keep the underbelly warm, which is a function of running the furnace. There's a 2" duct that is routed to the underbelly. In my experience, it provides around 20 degree (F) differential over ambient temps. So at -20C, if you are running the furnace, the underbelly will be at about -11 (C). Skirting will help the situation.

We camp in the Colorado mountains with temps down to -30 (F) / -34 (C). To keep the water running, and gate valves operating, we have 1) tank heaters on the holding tanks, 2) heat tape on all water lines, 3) a mini-skirt under the main plumbing areas with a smart ceramic disc heater maintaining underbelly temps. We also have a drop light in the UDC to keep the plumbing connections from freezing, and a 150W infrared lamp in a reflector hanging over the water pump to prevent problems in that area.

Take a look at our owner-written Water Systems Winter Usage Guide for more tips.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Hi Mandlit,

I don't believe the Onan generator on your Torque comes with an automatic start that fires it up when shore power goes off. However, I think it's possible to add that capability. Here's a link to an Onan Fact Sheet.

As for not running the furnace - you need to keep the underbelly warm, which is a function of running the furnace. There's a 2" duct that is routed to the underbelly. In my experience, it provides around 20 degree (F) differential over ambient temps. So at -20C, if you are running the furnace, the underbelly will be at about -11 (C). Skirting will help the situation.

We camp in the Colorado mountains with temps down to -30 (F) / -34 (C). To keep the water running, and gate valves operating, we have 1) tank heaters on the holding tanks, 2) heat tape on all water lines, 3) a mini-skirt under the main plumbing areas with a smart ceramic disc heater maintaining underbelly temps. We also have a drop light in the UDC to keep the plumbing connections from freezing, and a 150W infrared lamp in a reflector hanging over the water pump to prevent problems in that area.

Take a look at our owner-written Water Systems Winter Usage Guide for more tips.

Dan gives great advice. Also be aware you will need large external propane tank to keep you supplied. The 30lb tanks that come with your rig will only last a few days if the furnace is running most of the time. We lived in our ElkRidge, which is probably similar in build to a Torque, last winter in Texas. Temps only got into the -5C range, but we managed -- just had to get propane often. We have tank and pipe heaters added that run on DC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GOTTOYS

These just aren't made to live in for any length of time when it gets below freezing. I'd bet you spend more on propane than it would cost you to rent an apartment...JMHO...Don

jbeletti

Mandlit - you're getting some great feedback here. I also suggest you check with the campground to see what most others there do in order to live there year-round.