cats, cat litter, heater vents

myla296

So, I'm assuming I need to switch from clumpy and clingy cat litter to clay chunks...so that there is less of a chance of them getting tracked into the vents? (Thanks in advance for any insight...I have two cats..and am RVing full time, hoping I'm a fit for the community I'm going to teach in :D

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
We switched over to the Feline Pine a long time ago.
Very little tracking of the pellets and no dust. A ton better than clay litter.
Scooped everyday and no odor.
You will have to acclimate the cats to the new litter slowly. Directions on the bag.

Peace
Dave

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We have a boot tray that the litter pan sits in that we picked up at WallyWorld . . . collects most of the litter!

CampinKitties-P9020527.jpg

myla296

We switched over to the Feline Pine a long time ago.
Very little tracking of the pellets and no dust. A ton better than clay litter.
Scooped everyday and no odor.
You will have to acclimate the cats to the new litter slowly. Directions on the bag.

Peace
Dave

There are two types of feline pine... Clumping and non... Do you use the clumping?

And, I like the boot tray idea :)

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
We do not use the clumping litter. One of our daughters does and I see a lot of tracking because it is ground fine like the clay litter.
We have had four cats using the pellets and it worked well for all of them.

Peace
Dave

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We've tried the Tidy Cat clumping litter . . .

Not only do we not like the smell of it . . . neither do our six mountain lions (Mainecoones)!

Romeow-P7310234.jpg Campout2012Spicy-PC270042.jpg Spicy-PA254749.jpg SierraInSlippers-P2260312.jpg

myla296

We've tried the Tidy Cat clumping litter . . .

Not only do we not like the smell of it . . . neither do our mountain lions (Mainecoones)!
Those are pretty cats...I got one from the shelter as a kitten, and I think he is at least part Mainecoone, but he's not very big.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We use TidyCat Clumping Litter, and I have a collecting mat in front of the door to their covered box. Have not really seen any go into heater vents. Even if it did, you could use a vacuum with a hose and a crevice attachment to get in there. Just remove the vent cover.

Congrats on the new teaching assignment! Hubby is a teacher as well. We did the same thing last year, living in the rv and making sure his new job was a good fit. Now we've sold our house and moved into the RV full time, until we find a house we like.

jjriker

We also use a natural type of clumping litter. We have a mat in front of the box and it does collect most of it, but some does track a little. We haven't had any issues with it getting into the heating vents though. Just have to vacuum our area rug more frequently.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We've been using the Tidy Cat clumping litter for a long time, both in the rig and at home. With the paw mat in front of the box, most of the litter gets caught there. With our floorplan, there are no heater outlets close to where the box is, so it's not been a problem. We scoop the box whenever they use it and sweep around it as needed. Occasionally, I pull up the registers just to vacuum dust, hair and debris that does get in there. Not a big deal.