CATV in 2008 Heartland Bighorn 3670RL?

StrongJava

Hi!

We are in our first campground that has cable. I'm trying to get it working in the living room. On the rear left slide, I've got a two port box for coax connections. In reading the drawings I've found, it is unclear if one of these is for CATV or if they are both for satellite. One drawing says CATV (not provided)

Does anyone know if the the CATV wiring was provided in the 2008 Bighorn 3670? Is there a way to test this? I've run cable straight from the campsite box to the the TV and got cable channels, but no configuration I can get inside the rig seems to work.

Thanks in advance.

Tim

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I you have a 2008 Bighorn and are just using cable for the first time I would think you must have bought it used. Nothing wrong with that but many of the older Heartland products have cable and satellite hookups that did not work. They were either not connected correctly or not at all from the factory. I would suggest you 'squawk' the line from the inside and see if you can find it on the outside. Look in the UDC and there will be several coax connections. At least one will be for the liv rm and one for the bed rm satellite. The other should be for the cable/external connection. Keep in mind you will have to change the television input from antenna to cable. Also on some units it is necessary to turn off the antenna amplifier to get the cable to work. On our previous unit (07 Landmark) I found the cable to not be connected to the connector in the UDC. I had to go in the basement behind the UDC, find it, put a new end on the cable and then connect it to the rear of the UDC. For the Bedroom there was no cable at all so I had to run one. It was a PITA. Good luck

wdk450

I have a 2008 build BH 3670RL. I took some pictures, but it has been a long time since I used park cable since i carry my Dish Network dish with me everywhere, but I have done it successfully.

Let's start with pictures of my UDC connectors and my own chart of my satellite hookup to these connectors and notes on how to do a cable hookup.

002.jpg 003.jpg 006.jpg and the coax layout: http://manuals.heartlandowners.org/...-BH_and_2012-2013_BC_Coax_Layout-FEL-5045.pdf. This drawing seems pretty wrong to me. Compare the number of UDC inputs on the drawing to the ones on my picture. I know that the outside TV connector (in the storage compartment) plays the signal that is on the Bedroom TV, not TV #1 (Living room).

So, according to my card, the Cable from the park goes into the View attachment 2008-2011_LM-BH_and_2012-2013_BC_Coax_Layout-FEL-5045.pdf2nd from the left UDC input marked "Cable". That goes inside to the wallplate amplifier (Be sure the amplifier is OFF for cable viewing), with a tap at the wallplate for the bedroom TV, then on to the living Room TV outlets to the one marked "Cable". Your TV's RF input should be connected to this connector.

Good luck, and I hope this was helpful.

On edit: Sorry there is a 2nd link which should be removed, but it doesn't show up on the edit page.

Last edited:

StrongJava

I you have a 2008 Bighorn and are just using cable for the first time I would think you must have bought it used. Nothing wrong with that but many of the older Heartland products have cable and satellite hookups that did not work. They were either not connected correctly or not at all from the factory. I would suggest you 'squawk' the line from the inside and see if you can find it on the outside. Look in the UDC and there will be several coax connections. At least one will be for the liv rm and one for the bed rm satellite. The other should be for the cable/external connection. Keep in mind you will have to change the television input from antenna to cable. Also on some units it is necessary to turn off the antenna amplifier to get the cable to work. On our previous unit (07 Landmark) I found the cable to not be connected to the connector in the UDC. I had to go in the basement behind the UDC, find it, put a new end on the cable and then connect it to the rear of the UDC. For the Bedroom there was no cable at all so I had to run one. It was a PITA. Good luck

Thank you! This was the memory jog I needed. I knew I had seen connections somewhere else, and found the one in the basement, but forgot that they were in the UDC. Once I hooked the cable up to that, things are working.

That said, I still have a number of questions about diagrams, and why there are so many darn satellite connections. I'll put those questions in another reply.

Tim

StrongJava

Hi Bill,

I had come across a drawing from 2011, so the one you provided is more apropos, so I'm saving that. I have a couple of issues though with Heartland's documentation in this case.

First is that the connectors shown on the lower right are not labeled as in the UDC, and it would help if they were. Why? Because I got confused with the two coax connections that are on the outside of my RV at the desk/entertainment center slide out. Those are not on their drawing and I don't understand what they are for. Any idea?

Thanks.

Tim

I have a 2008 build BH 3670RL. I took some pictures, but it has been a long time since I used park cable since i carry my Dish Network dish with me everywhere, but I have done it successfully.

Let's start with pictures of my UDC connectors and my own chart of my satellite hookup to these connectors and notes on how to do a cable hookup.

View attachment 38829 View attachment 38830 View attachment 38831 and the coax layout: http://manuals.heartlandowners.org/...-BH_and_2012-2013_BC_Coax_Layout-FEL-5045.pdf. This drawing seems pretty wrong to me. Compare the number of UDC inputs on the drawing to the ones on my picture. I know that the outside TV connector (in the storage compartment) plays the signal that is on the Bedroom TV, not TV #1 (Living room).

So, according to my card, the Cable from the park goes into the View attachment 388322nd from the left UDC input marked "Cable". That goes inside to the wallplate amplifier (Be sure the amplifier is OFF for cable viewing), with a tap at the wallplate for the bedroom TV, then on to the living Room TV outlets to the one marked "Cable". Your TV's RF input should be connected to this connector.

Good luck, and I hope this was helpful.

On edit: Sorry there is a 2nd link which should be removed, but it doesn't show up on the edit page.

danemayer

Hi Bill,

I had come across a drawing from 2011, so the one you provided is more apropos, so I'm saving that. I have a couple of issues though with Heartland's documentation in this case.

First is that the connectors shown on the lower right are not labeled as in the UDC, and it would help if they were. Why? Because I got confused with the two coax connections that are on the outside of my RV at the desk/entertainment center slide out. Those are not on their drawing and I don't understand what they are for. Any idea?

Thanks.

Tim

If you're the 2nd owner, it's possible the previous owner added the outside connections to support a DVR or some other custom arrangement.

wdk450

Hi Bill,

Thanks.

Tim

The right hand picture I attached is of the outlet plate behind the TV in the entertainment area.
I agree that the connections on the lower right of the Heartland drawing should be labeled "UDC".
Like Dan said in his next post, the outside the entertainment slide connectors are not original, and need to be traced out by you. Harbor Freight Tools and the home improvement stores have beeper/tracker kits in their electrical tools departments. Most likely this is an alternate park cable input. I did something similar when I wanted to watch satellite or easily switch to park cable, but I just ran coax in through the desk window and up directly to the TV inputs, and then selected the input I wanted on the TV.