Anyone use or have used the "Bully Dog" ???

gregattaway

My 2011 F-250 super w/the 6.7 diesel gets the absolute worst mileage ...

I do believe ford lied when they claimed 24 mpg ...

I am lucky to get 9 mpg towing our 16.5k 5th wheel (see both in the picture below) when all my friends are getting 12 to 15 mpg with less of a motor ...

So hence the question about the Bully Dog ... is it worth it ?

thank you ... !!!

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Greg:

My experience....my 2011 Ram for the first 35,000 miles never got less than 19.5 and avg 21/22 on the hwy. The dealer put a flash on it during an oil change and never got more than 14 since. So I went with complete Stealth deletes and a Smarty SR tuner...I now have over 112,000 mile and avg 21/22 Hwy and in my rural environment 19. The change and performance was exciting.
I don't know anything about the Bully Dog but one of our members had one on his Ford and loved it. The tuners for the deleted programs are very hard to come by and expensive when you find one. They cannot be purchased in the US as of a couple of years back. So our Friends just north of us have them for sale. Not sure if the Smarty Sr is compatible with the Ford, but if so, let me know. I am removing all my deletes and taking delivery of a new 2016 Ram in a couple of weeks.

GOTTOYS

I think you will find 9-10 mpg while towing is about average for any truck towing that size trailer. I can't imagine 24mpg is possible with any degree of consistency if at all. Maybe unloaded, downhill with a good tailwind. 12-15mpg towing might be possible for a short distance under ideal conditions but doubtful. If it was possible to change the tuning of your truck to get better mileage without giving anything up wouldn't you think the manufacturer would have done that already? Save your money and spend it on fuel, I don't think there is any "silver bullet" for getting better mileage short of taking off all the emission equipment. JMHO...Don

gregattaway

Re: Anyone use or have used the "Bully Dog" ???

FYI, the 24 was the "advertised" mpg after ford ran a truck for 200k but in order to get that i do have to be going "downhill with a good tailwind" ... it's 19 mpg unloaded on a good day ... just traveled to so cal and back and averaged 16.5 ... disappointed to say the least ...

- - - Updated - - -

I will ck if compatible ... TY !!!

Greg:

My experience....my 2011 Ram for the first 35,000 miles never got less than 19.5 and avg 21/22 on the hwy. The dealer put a flash on it during an oil change and never got more than 14 since. So I went with complete Stealth deletes and a Smarty SR tuner...I now have over 112,000 mile and avg 21/22 Hwy and in my rural environment 19. The change and performance was exciting.
I don't know anything about the Bully Dog but one of our members had one on his Ford and loved it. The tuners for the deleted programs are very had to come by and expensive when you find one. They cannot be purchased in the US as of a couple of years back. So our Friends just north of us have them for sale. Not sure if the Smarty Sr is compatible with the Ford, but if so, let me know. I am removing all my deletes and taking delivery of a new 2016 Ram in a couple of weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

Garry,

I appears your tuner is only for dodge and/or cummings ... but thanks !!!

If you remember who has the bully let me know i'd like some info ...

Greg

JanAndBill

F350 dually with 6.0 bulletproofed running an SCT Controller. Mild tow mode when towing and street mode when not. Unless I'm pulling into a bad headwind or upa a lot of grades I average 12 mpg at 65. Street mode on highway at 65 I get 24-25.

Ann&Ted

Great question. I DO own a "Bully Dog". I installed it on my 2012 Ford F-250 6.7 diesel. I am now pulling the 43 foot Landmark Newport. My wife and I drove from Tucson to Pennsylvania and back (May 28 thru July 23 2015) and I averaged only 8 mpg. Of course, that is a lot of hills, twists and turns. I cannot say I am happy with the Bully Dog, but since it was quite an expensive unit, I am living with it. It may be that I do not know how to set up and use the thing. I would say to try the lesser expensive brand and give that a try.

jnbhobe

My 2011 F-250 super w/the 6.7 diesel gets the absolute worst mileage ...

I do believe ford lied when they claimed 24 mpg ...

I am lucky to get 9 mpg towing our 16.5k 5th wheel (see both in the picture below) when all my friends are getting 12 to 15 mpg with less of a motor ...

So hence the question about the Bully Dog ... is it worth it ?

thank you ... !!!

I'd like to see where they claim 24 mpg, I've never seen that and I've had a lot of ford diesels. 9-10 mpg is average pulling a Cyclone with an F-250 being you are way overloaded. What gears are you running?? Don't think I would do any Bully Dog, It will void the warranty.

gregattaway

F350 dually with 6.0 bulletproofed running an SCT Controller. Mild tow mode when towing and street mode when not. Unless I'm pulling into a bad headwind or upa a lot of grades I average 12 mpg at 65. Street mode on highway at 65 I get 24-25.

gotta run to the airport to pickup the wife ... be back in a few hours and want to talk to you about this controller ... thats kick *** numbers !!!

I have 5.9 Cummings with Smarty Tuner set for economy. Average 11 or 12 pulling 12,000 lbs. --- 20 to 21 Hwy
I am happy with the set up ---

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I have never seen anything on any of the window stickers on any of the big 3 HD trucks that lists city and highway driving fuel mileage. The EPA does not require them to. Most any mileage tests that any manufacturer does, is in the plant and at 55 MPH. Not the real world. 8-11 MPG is an average that most HD trucks get pulling depending on how heavy the trailer is. IMHO, how do these trucks get better mileage when you have to dump more fuel in to get more power??

pegmikef

I get the earlier stated average of 10-12 mpg (towed weight 14,500) in my stock F350 drw and 14 - 16 when not towing. I did better in my 2011 F250 6.7 srw pulling just under 10K. 12-14 towing and 19 - 21 not towing.

danemayer

When I read mpg posts claiming 12-15 mpg towing a 16,000 lb trailer, I always wonder if they're based on the actual amount of fuel used, or on the amount the truck's computer reports has been used. And if posting based on the computer's report, I wonder how the tuner interacts with the computer. Anyone getting fabulous mpg with their tuner actually checked the numbers against the amount of fuel you're buying?

As was said earlier, if there was a way to boost mpg by 20% or more, I'd expect the manufacturer would have done so and advertised the heck out of it.

Doublegranch

Dan:

I hand calculate every tank and compare it with my on board computer. I have never found the trucks computer to be more than .3 gpm off the entire 112,000 miles I have owned it. The smarty does not interface with that computer to my knowledge and if it does, the results are the same as when I didn't have the Smarty.

JanAndBill

When I read mpg posts claiming 12-15 mpg towing a 16,000 lb trailer, I always wonder if they're based on the actual amount of fuel used, or on the amount the truck's computer reports has been used. And if posting based on the computer's report, I wonder how the tuner interacts with the computer. Anyone getting fabulous mpg with their tuner actually checked the numbers against the amount of fuel you're buying?

As was said earlier, if there was a way to boost mpg by 20% or more, I'd expect the manufacturer would have done so and advertised the heck out of it.

First let me say that my numbers are calculated averages for either towing or on road not towing. If I'm pulling up a steep grade I may see instant mileage ratings of 2 or 3 miles per gallon versus downhill mileages of 50 plus. I use an SCT tuner that has the capability of being left hooked up, and their are times when I do, so I can use the datalog feature to store data for download to my laptop for analysis later, but most of the time I use a ScanGuage II for monitoring the engine on the road. It's a lot more compact and easy to glance at when needed. I have not found any significant differences between either the ScanGuage or the SCT in their calculation of fuel mileages. I don't constantly do it, but I have randomly hand checked mileages and again there were no significant differences in the average numbers of either the SCT or ScanGuaue. There have been some significant differences between the onboard truck guages and either the SCT or the ScanGuage II. Part of that has to do with the fact that all of them calculate fuel mileage based on input factors such as tire revolution, engine speed, throttle position etc. My SCT allows me to tweak the on board vehicle computer with things like the "actual" tire circumference, as opposed to a default number.

As to how they react with the onboard computer. Think about this your laptop computer is a dead block until you power up. When you first power up it loads the Bios from the read only memory, and tells the processor what the parameters, are what to load and controls communication between devices. The same thing applies to your on board vehicle computer. When you turn on the key, there's a set of instructions that control just about everything on the vehicle. The SCT and others like it basically replace those instructions with a custom set of instructions. So it's not "interacting" with the computer it reprogrammed it with new instructions.

Today's electronic engines (unlike those in the old days) are easily and quickly customized for timing, fuel, air, boost even the transmission shift points. That's why I can get up to 425 hp and over 800 ftlbs of torque from an engine that came from the manufacturer rated at 325 hp with not much more than a flip of switch. All that power comes at a cost though, as my stock engine was not capable of handling that kind of power as it came from the factory. That's why I've spent close to $7K on upgrades and modifications, all of which would void any manufacturers warranty, and probably not pass very many EPA restrictions that the manufacturer had to meet. With that power comes an operator responsibility to monitor and adjust your driving as needed to keep the engine from melting down. Most people either don't want to be that involved with or are incapable of being that involved with the operation of their vehicle. They want to get in, turn the key and go. That's why they don't offer it.

IronJ

Heck my 250 IS tuned and I have only managed 8.5-9.5 the few times I have even ATTEMPTED to pull the 420.....even with my 10k travel trailer best I ever saw was 11mpg....

Mine is a 4x4 with 3.55 rear and h&s mini maxx tuner

The wind is a killer on these aerodynamic bricks! !

I get 18-19 highway (minimal head wind) and avg 12 city..

There are about 10 of us who tow/camp with these trucks and that's about average....

If you wanna see any kinda improvement towing that kinda load it's gonna take 3.73 gears that come on a dually😉

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

gregattaway

I was thinking the rear end gearing could be the major cause ... i have not look but i bet my 250 has 355 ... they put 400 hp in this thing and 373 would b no problem "IF" that is the problem ...

Good call !!!

Heck my 250 IS tuned and I have only managed 8.5-9.5 the few times I have even ATTEMPTED to pull the 420.....even with my 10k travel trailer best I ever saw was 11mpg....

Mine is a 4x4 with 3.55 rear and h&s mini maxx tuner

The wind is a killer on these aerodynamic bricks! !

I get 18-19 highway (minimal head wind) and avg 12 city..

There are about 10 of us who tow/camp with these trucks and that's about average....

If you wanna see any kinda improvement towing that kinda load it's gonna take 3.73 gears that come on a dually

Doublegranch

Greg:

My 2011 Ram has the 373 rear end with my deletes...but the new 2016 has 3.42 rear end with the Aisin trans....they say it's a great combo for towing and highway use...I had the option for a 4.10 rear end, but didn't want that as I was looking for MPG....

gregattaway

I am open to other controllers ... Not just the dog ... don't know all their names ... SCT, Edge ... ???

Again I have the 2011 f-250 6.7 diesel and i just checked I have 3.31 rear end ...

At 3.31 you'd think not towing i get great mileage ... I get that when towing it's going to suk real good, oh it does ... lol

Last edited:

IronJ

As I mentioned before I use an h&s mini max tuner...

And 3.31 trying to tow 16k!!...I can't even imagine...yours must be a 2wd with the smaller 18" wheels??

Even with 400+ hp and gobs of torque that rear end ain't heavy towing friendly ...my father in law has the 3.31 in his...has a 7500k travel trailer and will avg 10-10.5 mpg on most trips...pulled a 11k goose for me one time and I never heard the end about the 8.5mpg he got...lol

There is a reason the tow boss package has 4.10 gears....but heck if I want 2500 rpm highway driving....3.73 fine with me

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I do not know if any info I can give you is helpful on the newer diesels except this, my neighbor has been a diesel mechanic for his entire adult life and has more pickups with bully dog tuners come in to be repaired than any other tuner. He states that the BD just throws more fuel and trans rail pressure in without any thought of protection to the components. I have completely modded my pickup and found that the biggest gains for me were larger exhaust and an after market AFE intake. I should note that I also race my pickup from time to time on the track. Everything I have done to it has not been only for power gains, but for longevity and fuel mileage. I used to have a Banks six gun in mine bust have since gone to a six position TS chip. I also spent the money to have it live tuned so that each of the settings I have does exactly what I want it to do.

Anyone with any diesel knowledge will tell you to make your engine breath and exhale more efficiently before you start throwing tunes at it. I am not sure with the newer emissions how much you can actually do to accomplish that.