Flat tire changing question

fdechaine

Howdy

As I anxiously await my new North Trail, I decided to get my old travel trailer ready for sale. For the first time ever, I discovered that I had a flat tire on the left front. Where should I place the jack to raise the tire off the ground? I have a 2 ton sears jack that I can roll out there to jack it up. Do you lift from the frame (which I may not be able to do since it is high) or can you just lift from the axle? And, if it is from the axle, should it be on the axle that doesn't have the flat?

Sorry for having to ask this stupid question but I really don't want to break anything by doing it incorrectly.

Thanks
Frank

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Hello Frank
Well you asked a question that a lot of people will have different views.

Some people say that if you raise your unit by placing the jack under the axle you will bend it. Some say lift it by using the frame.

You should actually ask Heartland and see what they recommend.
However I will give you my opinion.

I will raise the unit by either of two methods.
I will block the tires so the unit so it will not roll. If I have room to slip a bottle jack under the axle. I position the jack as close to the wheel as possible and lift it off the ground. I do this if I am going to raise the trailer to work on the brakes, bearings or if there is a flat.

If I have a flat and I can not get the bottle jack under the axle I will put a set of the Lego blocks by the inflated tire and pull/backup so the inflated tire is on top of the blocks. Usually it only takes 3 blocks to raise it enough. Then I will take the bottle jack and raise the axle that has the flat. That will give me enough room to mount the spare.

I do not raise the flat off the ground by using the frame. I feel it will stress the part that is holding the springs or whatever is holding the axle to the frame. The unit is made to set on the axle not lift it.

Some will say if you raise the axle you will bend it because that axle takes on a lot more weight. Well your not going to raise the other tire/axle off the ground. If you ran over a curb or some such it would be about the same. I have lifted many trailer tires off the ground by jacking the axle while I was hauling a big load of hay.

Your choice. Read, ask and make your decision.

FWIW
BC

SmokeyBare

A few well placed blocks of wood under the jack are helpful...

Placing the Jack under the spring shackle will do a nice job of lifting the RV . Just be careful to have a good size block... so it doesn't risk tipping or rocking... and cause the jack to fall off the blocks.

At the Heartland Rally last year in Goshen IN.... there was a demonstration showing how to jack the Rv to work on a wheel... in fact they continued the demo ... showing how to re-pack the wheel bearings.

The Comment made during this demo... was the axle shouldn't be used because the axle tubing is pretty thin... and it could dent or bend the metal where the jack pushes against the axle. Remember the top of a Jack is often very small....

Marv

Jimmyt5

Went to a demo that Dexter Axle was having when I had SOB RV and they said if you use the axle you can change the tow in, words were "never use it".

Jim

SmokeyBare

yes JimmyT5,

It very well could change the alignment of the trailer axle if it gets damaged by jacking under an axle.

Not surprising... one way to align the axles is to use specialized hydraulic jacks and bend and tweak the axle, taking measurements from the King Pin as this is done. to determine when they are once again in alignment.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
If I jacked up anything, like a trailer, by the axle...the ghost of my long dead mechanic father would slap me upside the head. Those axles on most trailers are pretty fragile in comparison with the rear axle of most tow vehicles.

Why not ramp up the good tire until the bad one is off the ground enough to get to it? Or, would that not work too? If the frame bends from the use of a floor or bottle jack...we ALL got problems..

Forrest Fetherolf

Don't think any axle supplier would recommend using a ramp under the good tire to change a flat tire, that would cause the ramped axle to support double the load. I have found the easiest and safest way to change a tire is by placing a bottle jack under the outer shackle u-bolt. That method eliminates the need for a jack to extend over twenty inches to reach the frame or a jack placed on a bunch of blocks.

If you consider the load supported on the axle doesn't bend or crush the axle down, why would a jack under the shackle u-bolt pushing up be any more likely to bend or crush the axle? Point loading by the u-bolt might be a factor, but not as much as addition down force ("G" force) when driving on a bumpy road.

Forrest

medic9016

Just watched my neighbor repack his wheel bearings. He put a couple of 2x6 boards under the tire and backed up. This pulled the other tire off the ground and gave plenty of room to get the tire off.

vangoes

I was helping a neighboring camper in Gulf Shores that had SOB highend fifthwheel and in his owners manual the recommended procedure to change a tire was to raise the unit by pulling it onto blocks lifting the tire to be changed. Like was earlier said, there will be many opinions on this matter; however, IMO this procedure would certainly be the safest especially if you are sitting on the side of a busy interstate with 18 wheelers zooming by.