Synthetic oil

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I have always had my fluid maintenance done at the local Ram dealer. Since the beginning I have used a standard oil for my 07 ram with the 6.7 Cummins. I just received a coupon from them with a discounted price on oil maintenance using synthetic oil. I change oil every 4-5K miles. Truck just turned 26,000 miles. Just a few questions. What are the benefits? Do you still change on regular intervals like standard oil or can it go longer between changes? Any other disadvantages or advantages?

Jamie

JanAndBill

I have always had my fluid maintenance done at the local Ram dealer. Since the beginning I have used a standard oil for my 07 ram with the 6.7 Cummins. I just received a coupon from them with a discounted price on oil maintenance using synthetic oil. I change oil every 4-5K miles. Truck just turned 26,000 miles. Just a few questions. What are the benefits? Do you still change on regular intervals like standard oil or can it go longer between changes? Any other disadvantages or advantages?

Jamie

Never have run synthetic oil, in engines, just followed the manufacturer's recommendations on oil. In our over the road tractors and even in most passenger vehicles, the oil will become contaminated with fuel, moisture, soot, etc., long before the oil "wears out". Have used many different brands, but finally settled on Delo 15-40 for diesel engines. We typically ran 16,000 miles on an oil/filter change in the tractors, and 4,000 miles in the smaller trucks. Now the differentials and transmissions are a different animal. We used synthetic exclusively there, because unless a seal failed, you didn't have external contaminants. To me a full synthetic engine oil is a waste of money. Regardless of which oil you use, MAKE SURE that it meets the API specifications published by the engine manufacturer. Using an oil specification other than the manufacturer's requirement is the quickest way I know to void your warranty.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I never used to until we started having our oils tested at oil changes. We let the lab determine how often we should change our oil and adjust depending on how much towing we do. The difference in breakdown and all out performance of synthetic vs conventional motor oil is hands down amazing. While I do not completely understand all that they test for, my oil changes are spread out much further with synthetic. I have even tried Royal Purple a few times and the test lab came back and told me I didn't need to change my oil for 12k miles each time I have used it. I don't wait that long but on our long trips the cost of RP motor oil is worth the peace of mind to me. We just did a trip to SC and back and my oil looks like I just changed it yesterday. Since many on here will not believe what I have said I will try to find the data sheets. It is worth it, IMO, to send your oil in to a lab to be tested from time to time. I do know that they also check for metal as well.

Lynn1130

+1 for synthetic. I used nothing but synthetic in all of my engines, right down to the generator. It does not break down as fast as dino, gives much better heat protection, lengthens the distance between oil changes (which many times balances out the cost factor) and is used now by almost all auto makers as the preferred oil. Many, to most of the European cars had gone to synthetic years ago. While we were still changing oil every 3000 miles here in the US BMW was changing oil every 10K or year,which ever came first. (that is about 1 oil change to 3 during the year-cost factor?). My last three cars came with synthetic (2-BMWs and a Lexus).

In addition my transmissions, diffs, and transfer cases have synthetic (long life, smoother shifts, better heat protection). And we save dinosaurs to boot.

Now with all of that said, I do change my oil a little more often because I live in a very hot and dusty location. It may not need it but it gives me peace of mind and a vehicle is a pretty big money layout so why not treat it well so it will last longer?

There will be a number who are of the "oil is oil" group and that is fine. Use what makes you happy but my preference has been synthetic for many years now. Recommending a brand is about like recommending what truck to buy or what tires to purchase. Forget it. Go with your own research and do what is best for you.

Last edited:

scottyb

If you are into testing and changing oil based on test results, it may be feasible. If you are one that is going to change it every 5K no matter what, it is a waste of money. I put 35-40k on my truck every year. No way am I going to pay for synthetic and the cost of testing 3-4 times per year.

I do use it in high performance or air cooled gas engines like our Ecoboost or my 26 HP Kohler mower engine.

Sniper

JWalker I was really hesitant about switching over to synthetic oils, even after several of my friends were telling me all the great things about it and how foolish I was for not doing so. I was just having a difficult time believing their tales. (being a certified mechanic I don't subscribe to the "mechanic in a can" theory LOL) Last year the rear end on my truck started leaking so I decided that since I was gonna take off the cover anyhow I would replace it with a larger capacity aluminum finned one. Bear with me... The place I ordered the cover from (Summit Racing) had Lucas Full Synthetic Gear Oil on sale cheaper than the regular gear oil, it even had the correct traction-loc additive in it. Just let me say this... I could instantly tell something had changed. (you know, that seat of the pants feel) So I took the truck out and set the cruise to 60 mph (the speed I usually drive). The "normal" rpm was right on 2000, to my amazement the rpm was now a tick below that. I immediately switched all my oil and lubes to Lucas synthetics, and have had nothing but wonderful results. Mileage has increased Slightly (1.2 mpg average), the engine is not as loud, but the best thing to me is the easier starts. Especially in the winter.
I'm still not a subscriber to the extended oil change intervals, but many are with no problems. I still change mine @ 5000 miles religiously (Oil is cheap insurance as far as I'm concerned) I will say that my friends that go beyond 5000 miles send oil samples to a lab for an analysis. This is just my experience concerning the subject, and I'm certainly not trying to push Lucas oils, I was a true blue "Motorcraft till death" man, but when something works it works. Hope this helps you some my friend.

Safe travels:)

GOTTOYS

JWalker I was really hesitant about switching over to synthetic oils, even after several of my friends were telling me all the great things about it and how foolish I was for not doing so. I was just having a difficult time believing their tales. (being a certified mechanic I don't subscribe to the "mechanic in a can" theory LOL) Last year the rear end on my truck started leaking so I decided that since I was gonna take off the cover anyhow I would replace it with a larger capacity aluminum finned one. Bear with me... The place I ordered the cover from (Summit Racing) had Lucas Full Synthetic Gear Oil on sale cheaper than the regular gear oil, it even had the correct traction-loc additive in it. Just let me say this... I could instantly tell something had changed. (you know, that seat of the pants feel) So I took the truck out and set the cruise to 60 mph (the speed I usually drive). The "normal" rpm was right on 2000, to my amazement the rpm was now a tick below that. I immediately switched all my oil and lubes to Lucas synthetics, and have had nothing but wonderful results. Mileage has increased Slightly (1.2 mpg average), the engine is not as loud, but the best thing to me is the easier starts. Especially in the winter.
I'm still not a subscriber to the extended oil change intervals, but many are with no problems. I still change mine @ 5000 miles religiously (Oil is cheap insurance as far as I'm concerned) I will say that my friends that go beyond 5000 miles send oil samples to a lab for an analysis. This is just my experience concerning the subject, and I'm certainly not trying to push Lucas oils, I was a true blue "Motorcraft till death" man, but when something works it works. Hope this helps you some my friend.

Safe travels:)
At 60 mph your engine is going to spin xxx RPM. It is impossible to change that unless you change the gear ratio or tire size. If you change your oil every 4-5,000 miles it will not be cost effective to run synthetic oil....Don

Sniper

At 60 mph your engine is going to spin xxx RPM. It is impossible to change that unless you change the gear ratio or tire size. If you change your oil every 4-5,000 miles it will not be cost effective to run synthetic oil....Don
Just stating my woefully amateur observation. If I get easier starting (less wear and tear on battery's and starter, bearings, etc), and better fuel mileage for $35.00 more every 5000 miles that's good enough for me, though those may not be good enough reasons for others....Sniper

porthole

Retired

Jamie

Every 4-5000 miles = waste of money.

Today's oils, synthetic or non synthetic are pretty good formulations - from the major brands. Buy no name oil and who knows what you will get.
Notice I did not say "dino" oil? The Russians started it and Sinclair perpetuated it, but there is no proof that oil as we know it originated from dinosaurs.

What oil is the dealer offering? Is it being sold in quart or gallon bottles or are they using bulk oil? Do you really know what you are getting?

I have been using Shell Rotella, whichever is the best pricing when I buy it. Usually it is the conventional oil. But, occasionally Walmart will have the blend or full synthetic for nearly the price of the conventional oil. When priced accordingly I use the synthetic.

Are you going to pay for testing to see if you can extend your drain? Add $25-$35 plus postage and having to deal with sampling for that option.

Synthetic defiantly has advantages, especially with towing and hot weather. A 10% increase in fuel mileage is not one of them though.

I change the oil every 6500-7500 miles regardless of the oil I put in.

avvidclif

Every 4-5000 miles = waste of money.

Today's oils, synthetic or non synthetic are pretty good formulations - from the major brands. Buy no name oil and who knows what you will get.
Notice I did not say "dino" oil? The Russians started it and Sinclair perpetuated it, but there is no proof that oil as we know it originated from dinosaurs.

What oil is the dealer offering? Is it being sold in quart or gallon bottles or are they using bulk oil? Do you really know what you are getting?

I have been using Shell Rotella, whichever is the best pricing when I buy it. Usually it is the conventional oil. But, occasionally Walmart will have the blend or full synthetic for nearly the price of the conventional oil. When priced accordingly I use the synthetic.

Are you going to pay for testing to see if you can extend your drain? Add $25-$35 plus postage and having to deal with sampling for that option.

Synthetic defiantly has advantages, especially with towing and hot weather. A 10% increase in fuel mileage is not one of them though.

I change the oil every 6500-7500 miles regardless of the oil I put in.

Ford specifies oil change every 5,000 mi in extreme duty service. I classify towing as extreme duty and change accordingly. I use Motorcraft Synthetic and genuine Motorcraft filters.

porthole

Retired
Ford specifies oil change every 5,000 mi in extreme duty service. I classify towing as extreme duty and change accordingly. I use Motorcraft Synthetic and genuine Motorcraft filters.

2011+ 6.7 Ford recommends following the engine maintenance minder built into the truck's computers. That can be 5,000 miles under extreme duty or 10,000 miles of normal everyday use. Or anything in between. There is a 1 year interval recommended though if you do not put the miles on.

I use Motorcraft filters as I can get them for the same price or less then aftermarket parts.
But, Motorcraft does not make their own filters nor do they refine their own oil. So, any quality filter or oil is acceptable, as long as it meets the manufacturers guidelines (API #'s etc)

Lynn1130

If you have ever worked around oil wells, it sure stinks like dead something.;) I'm not sure there were enough dinosaurs in the world to make all the oil pumped out of the ground. But it makes for entertaining coversation.

2011 and later Ford Super Duty diesels monitor engine oil for heat, time of use and perhaps(?) viscosity and will tell you when to change engine oil. Ford says changing engine oil more often than the monitor tells you is unnecessary and recommends against it. One of the few advantages of the emission controls these new diesels have is that they run cleaner and oil last longer. Ultra low sulfur diesel also prolongs engine oil life. Ford recommends full synthetic if you tow, run fast, idle a lot, do stop-and-go urban driving, use your vehicle in hot temperatures, use bio diesel, etc. If you use bio diesel they tell you you will be changing your oil and fuel filters twice as often as non bio diesel. Good reason to avoid bio if you can. The engines on my 2011 F250 and 2015 F350 are very tight, no leaking or oil use, something you want if you are going to use synthetic. Oil temperatures will run cooler if you use synthetic. I don't know what Ram and Chevy recommend for later models, but suspect it is the same as Ford. (Read your manual.)

On my 1999 Ram, I changed the oil about every 3500 miles. I did this based on oil color and smell. Might be able to stretch that today with ultra low sulfur fuel. I would think that for earlier generation diesels, changing oil more frequently and not using synthetics would be the best and most cost effective way to go. Maintaining good oil in your engine is the best insurance you can buy for prolonged engine life.

bigdob24

I just got my F 350s oil changed today.
I run it 6k and change it.
I always go to the dealership and let them do it at the Diesal Shop.
Just got my fuel filters and will be changing them out tomorrow 21k, a little early.
Also bought a replacement set of air filters to have .
I stick with MotorCraft replacement parts

MTPockets

2011 and later Ford Super Duty diesels monitor engine oil for heat, time of use and perhaps(?) viscosity and will tell you when to change engine oil. Ford says changing engine oil more often than the monitor tells you is unnecessary and recommends against it. One of the few advantages of the emission controls these new diesels have is that they run cleaner and oil last longer. Ultra low sulfur diesel also prolongs engine oil life. Ford recommends full synthetic if you tow, run fast, idle a lot, do stop-and-go urban driving, use your vehicle in hot temperatures, use bio diesel, etc. If you use bio diesel they tell you you will be changing your oil and fuel filters twice as often as non bio diesel. Good reason to avoid bio if you can. The engines on my 2011 F250 and 2015 F350 are very tight, no leaking or oil use, something you want if you are going to use synthetic. Oil temperatures will run cooler if you use synthetic. I don't know what Ram and Chevy recommend for later models, but suspect it is the same as Ford. (Read your manual.)

e.

This is correct. The Ford severe duty classification fits how mine is used, so I always use synthetic per Ford manual.. On a side note: I've gone to Ford dealer for oil change and tell them I want synthetic and been asked why. I show them the manual and they are surprised. I was told at one dealer I was the first to ever request synthetic. I didn't go back to that dealer, but always run synthetic.

lwmcguir

We run synthetic in all the engines and never change oil by the odometer, only by hours or computers. Engines cost way to much to not use a superior product.

You guys dont know what severe service is unless you have spent a few months on a farm or ranch. Going down the road towing a camper is nothing like towing a load of cattle down a dirt ranch trail and on minimal maintenance roads.

Changing todays oil at low milage is wasting money but so are adult beverages but if it is your money it sure dont bother me. I will save the oil money for somthing else. To each his own.