Sundance 3000ck

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
I am looking to upgrade my North Trail to a Sundance early in 2016. I am looking at two models that I really like the floor plan but have some questions:

1. 3000CK....With the rear kitchen and all that weight back there, I have read that RV's with this set up creates a lot of rear movement...kind of like the tail wagging the dog. I know this model now has 10 " I beam for a frame vs the 8 " on the light version. Has anyone with this model experienced this problem? I was recently told this rear end movement problem was corrected but I don't know if that is true... Please make a posting if you have this model or PM me with your experience....

2. 285TS..XLT......This floor plan is the exact same as the Prowler and ELkRidge 289...However they have 5080 LB Axle Weight vs Sundance 4400 lb Axle Weight. The Prowler and Sundance are the same specs and GVW and pin weight. The Elkridge is slightly heavier. Why the lower axle weight on the Sundance when all specs appear to be the same?

sjs731

I have a 2012 3300CK. I have not noticed any "wagging". I pull it with a 2007 GMC Sierra Duramax. Obviously in higher winds you notice some movement.

Steve

Doublegranch

Steve:...Thank you...have you noticed any excessive bounce with the stuff in the rear end moving all around when traveling?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Hey Garry . . .

Just thought I'd chime in . . .

Our 2013 Trail Runner 22RK had the rear kitchen, but it was a bumper pull, so it did seem to affect the way the trailer pulled!

I doubt you'll have any issue with your new truck and a 5th-wheel configuration . . .

Buy the trailer you really want!

Look at all of the floor plans and get the one you REALLY want!

No matter what!

You've already seen our new 2015 Heartland Prowler at Mountaindale . . . so use that as a guide!

Your new Dodge will be more than enough to pull whichever Sundance you decide to get!

Can't wait to see you at the HOC Rally in Central City, CO!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Garry, HL has had many rear kitchen models and have never heard of any "tail wagging". "Sandman" Marty and Theresa had a SD rear Kitchen and never had a problem. I don't know for sure...but maybe the axles are set farther back on a rear kitchen. Why don't you call HL and ask the question. Remember that 20% of the GVW is on the pin.

JohnD

Garry, HL has had many rear kitchen models and have never heard of any "tail wagging". "Sandman" Marty and Theresa had a SD rear Kitchen and never had a problem. I don't know for sure...but maybe the axles are set farther back on a rear kitchen. Why don't you call HL and ask the question. Remember that 20% of the GVW is on the pin.

Our previous Heartland RV, a 2013 Trail Runner 22RK, had the rear kitchen.

It didn't seem like a big deal, but I could tell it was there as it did make the trailer sway at highway speeds over 55mph!

In a 5th-wheel trailer, however, I don't think it will be as big of an issue . . .

Doublegranch

Bob: Thanks....I did speak to the west coast Rep and he thought that was an old rumor that has long passed about the rear end bounce etc...
But before I lay out that kind of money, I just wanted to get some HOC experiences. Since this is my first 5th wheel...I am just trying to do all my homework
I plan on keeping this unit for a long time....not looking to upgrade every few years. I appreciate your help...thanks

JohnD

Bob: Thanks....I did speak to the west coast Rep and he thought that was an old rumor that has long passed about the rear end bounce etc...
But before I lay out that kind of money, I just wanted to get some HOC experiences. Since this is my first 5th wheel...I am just trying to do all my homework
I plan on keeping this unit for a long time....not looking to upgrade every few years. I appreciate your help...thanks

WHAT??? You don't plan on upgrading every six months?????

Funny . . . when we bought our 2013 Heartland Trail Runner we thought we'd have it for at least 10 years!

But 2 1/2 years later . . . what did we do?

WHAT???????????????????????????

Trade it in for a newer model, of course!

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

That rear end bounce was not a myth . . . it was definately there!

However, the North Trail's had the wide-track axles where the Trail Runner's didn't (ie.- axles closer together on the Trail Runners), which made the sway much worse on the Trail Runners!

Doublegranch

John:

Now if you would not have had the axle problems, you would probably still be in the Trail Runner! It was your fault for taking Cathy to the Dealer when looking for repairs...
That's like never go grocery shopping when you are hungry....you buy everything.....RV needs repair you visit the show room floor...you are in trouble....

Tundra2084

We had SOB rear kitchen and loved it. As a matter of fact we had 2 rear kitchen units and had our present unit been available with rear kitchen on the lot it would have been my choice. We had heard the horror stories about broken dishes and open cabinets and drawers and to be honest did get drawers opening up but that's it. If you love the layout then go for it. Never had a dish break but the would move a little. That's an easy fix, just use rubber shelf liner to keep in place. We STILL get stuff moved around in the kitchen cabinets and we now have a central kitchen so we simply use the same method as in the rear kitchen. Secure breakable things as you normally would when traveling and enjoy your purchase.

sjs731

Steve:...Thank you...have you noticed any excessive bounce with the stuff in the rear end moving all around when traveling?

I leave hand soap and an ice bucket sit on the counter in the rear kitchen and don't notice them moving much if at all. Occasionally a bottle of water or can of beer will fall when you open the fridge door.

Steve

JohnD

John:

Now if you would not have had the axle problems, you would probably still be in the Trail Runner! It was your fault for taking Cathy to the Dealer when looking for repairs...
That's like never go grocery shopping when you are hungry....you buy everything.....RV needs repair you visit the show room floor...you are in trouble....

Yup!

I do miss the Trail Runner and often wonder what we are missing with it being gone (despite the dollars, of course)!

She blames me for the upgrade . . . but I know how to play the odds! :p:eek::rolleyes::cool:

Can't wait to see you in Central City!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Occasionally a bottle of water or can of beer will fall when you open the fridge door.

Steve
Alcohol abuse . . . you must be fined accordingly! :p

sjs731

Alcohol abuse . . . you must be fined accordingly! :p[/QUOTE]

I have never lost one to the abuse. I just crack that one open immediately. Adult beverages is the primary use and was the original draw to the outside kitchen. The rear outside pantry is our "liquor cabinet".

Steve

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
Garry,

We pulled a 30' sob with a rear kitchen for 10 yrs. We first used a 2500 Chev 6.0 gas engine and then a Ram 2500 diesel. I never did notice any tail wag or other problems in all that time.

Doublegranch

Thanks Gregg.....I have my decision narrowed down to two models...
By the way the dealer said my new Truck was delivered at the Phoenix Rail yard today.
It will be mid to late next week before it arrives at the dealer..Things operate very slowly at the Rail yard.

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
Garry,
Good news on your truck. You will be able to do some break in miles on it before heading to Central City. What is you timeline for a new rig?

Doublegranch

Gregg:

I want to order a 2017 model sometime after March. I can't justify a 2016 in my mind since I won't be using it that much in between the the AZ Rally in Oct and the Tucson Rodeo Rally in Feb 2016. I am giving the dealer in Vegas a call and maybe we will do a deal there for the National Rally....but I would like to have it prior to that time. The 2017 models come out after St Patty's day.

JohnD

Gregg:

I want to order a 2017 model sometime after March. I can't justify a 2016 in my mind since I won't be using it that much in between the the AZ Rally in Oct and the Tucson Rodeo Rally in Feb 2016. I am giving the dealer in Vegas a call and maybe we will do a deal there for the National Rally....but I would like to have it prior to that time. The 2017 models come out after St Patty's day.

Wow . . . this is making our 2015 Prowler seem old already!

We are picking up our 3300CK tomorrow and it did not come with the outdoor fridge (previous owner took it before trading it in). Could someone who has this model let me know what dimensions the fridge is supposed to be. Would like to find one so we could pick it up and put it directly into the camper while we have it on the truck.