Dimmer switch for awning LED lights?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Our 2015 Heartland Prowler P292 has outside LED lights along the base of the awning.

While I am glad to have them . . . there is one problem . . .

They are so bright that you need to have SPF100 lotion to keep from getting sunburned!

When we took it out for it's maiden voyage the last weekend of June, there were a couple of other HOC member trailers there from Arizona so we were gathering at their trailers for chat and brewskis, and our Prowler was perched up on top of a hill and when looking up there it looked like a huge beacon up there . . . kind of like a lighthouse on the ocean or one of the great lakes!

ProwlerAtMountaindale-P1000126.jpg ProwlerFlagsJuly4-P1000235.jpg

Anyway . . . I'm wondering if these LED lights can handle a dimmer switch of some kind.

Anyone here done that?

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
I have used this LED Dimmer on other LED lights and it works great, but not on the awning LED's. It comes in black or white.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I went with LED dimmers from superbrightlight.com on both of my awnings. They were easy to install and have some cool features. $10.95 each :cool:
IMG_20150805_210837867.jpgLED light remotes  (1).jpg

JohnD

I have used this LED Dimmer on other LED lights and it works great, but not on the awning LED's. It comes in black or white.

552154.png

Thanks for the link!

This is the same switch I saw at Camping World on their LED light display . . . but they don't seem to sell it in the store.

I may just get this one, but first I need to see if there is enough room in the panel where the current switch is located.

I'm also wondering if there is any issue with dimming these awning LED strip lights . . . like over heating or other problems.

- - - Updated - - -

I went with LED dimmers from superbrightlight.com on both of my awnings. They were easy to install and have some cool features. $10.95 each :cool:
View attachment 38922 View attachment 38923

This is an interesting idea as well!

Less expensive than the above switch that I saw at CW . . .

Although I really need another remote control like I need another hole in the head! :eek:

Where does the sensor mount or connect in to the wiring?

Thanks for the info . . .

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I put them right in the main channel that is mounted to the RV. If you pull the screw out at the bottom and slide the plastic cover down to remove it. The controller is directional so make sure you wire it in the right way. I used heat shrink butt connectors. keeps things clean and water proof.
image.jpg

JohnD

I put them right in the main channel that is mounted to the RV. If you pull the screw out at the bottom and slide the plastic cover down to remove it. The controller is directional so make sure you wire it in the right way. I used heat shrink butt connectors. keeps things clean and water proof.
View attachment 38950

If I'm reading you correctly, you put this in the wiring outside by the awning?

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Also you can see in the first post pics, I just put the sticky side of a piece of velcro on the back side of the remotes and just stuck it on the carpet in the cargo area.

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
I'm also wondering if there is any issue with dimming these awning LED strip lights . . . like over heating or other problems.
I have not had any problems with my interior LED's.

NH5er

Same as you. They seem to work fine. Going away this weekend and will give them a try. Thanks for suggesting them.
Jim

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I have the same remotes and they work great from anywhere in camp... I don't have to point them at the receiver. Mine are both mounted in the uprights of the awnings on the coach.
89b2a6a08fec23b673768330c31bc613.jpg
c7fbea736c0bf3f0191161e90b907058.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

JohnD

I still haven't done this project yet . . .

When I get our Prowler back from the dealership next week this will be on my winter to do list!