A little rubbing going on

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
While on our recent trip we lost use of the LED ceiling lights in the kitchen slide. I did a quick check of the fuse panel and no indicator light that a fuse was blown so figured it had to be a loose connection somewhere. As these lights aren't used often I put off any further investigation until we made it home.
So today as I was looking things over under the rig I see this...
dccc0ef27cf271936a0a3dd8278342cd.jpg

This is the wire up to the light switch in the kitchen slide. Obviously the wire has been exposed because the plastic wire conduit has been compromised and the sheath rubbed through from the slide bouncing while in motion and/or going in and out.
Anyway I cut out the damaged section spliced it back together with connectors taped it up realigned the plastic wire conduit and covered the area by screwing a piece from an old license plate over the area to act as a skid plate.
Turns out however that the fuse did "blow" but didn't completely break the connection so enough voltage was passing through the circuit to give a false reading at the fuse panel. Replaced the fuse and voilà, lights again...
df0c3e2bff1922597947c18643b529bb.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

danemayer

Don't know if this would have helped in your situation, but the blown fuse LED only illuminates when there's a load on the circuit.

If the switch is off, or the bulb removed, or the wire is broken, there's no current flow to ground, and the LED won't light up.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Don't know if this would have helped in your situation, but the blown fuse LED only illuminates when there's a load on the circuit.

If the switch is off, or the bulb removed, or the wire is broken, there's no current flow to ground, and the LED won't light up.

Good to know. Can't say whether I checked the fuse panel with the switch on. The wire wasn't completely severed so there was some voltage passing through.
Here's the "blown" fuse...
7b8e7cb5a2a66141359a72f8ae66512c.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk