Power Converter Humming Cyclone 3612

We recently replaced our power converter after a mishap (catastrophe may be more appropriate description) where we plugged into an incorrectly wired campground pedestal. The new converter make a noticeable humming noise. Is this normal? Or is this an indication of a problem. At first we thought it was intermittent but now that the trailer is resting in our garage, it makes constant humming noise.

wdk450

Humming in most AC powered electrical devices is usually due to the transformer laminations (pile of insulated E shaped plates around which the transformer coils are wound) vibrating due to the 60 cycle oscillating magnetic field. It is usually nothing of significance. I would suggest you call the manufacturer just to check it out.

Humming in most AC powered electrical devices is usually due to the transformer laminations (pile of insulated E shaped plates around which the transformer coils are wound) vibrating due to the 60 cycle oscillating magnetic field. It is usually nothing of significance. I would suggest you call the manufacturer just to check it out.

Thans, will do that.

MCTalley

After we took delivery of our current rig, we noticed our converter humming loudly all the time. I crawled under to check on it and found that the cooling fan was running. The entire unit was cool to the touch. I contacted the manufacturer (Progressive Dynamics) and they indicated that the fan should only run under heavy loads and definitely not continuously.

They recommended we contact Heartland regarding warranty replacement, which we did. Our replacement unit is silent. Might check to see if the fan is on and blowing out cold air.