No Reverse on Fan-Tastic Vent...Anyone know how to fix???

Oregon_Camper

Appears my 2015 Bighorn only came with a Fan-Tastic Fan that only pushes air out.

I wanted to know if anyone has found a solution to add "reverse" to this fan.

2015-08-07 09.56.13.jpg

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I don't have your answer,
But we have found it not to be a problem, we turn it on and open the window that we want the coolest air to come in. Durring the day the shaddy side of the RV, and at night the window next to the to my bed, it pulls a nice breeze through. You can adjust the air flow by opening and closing windows or fan speed. So reversing the fan is unnecessary.

pegmikef

I don't think my Fantastic vent fan has a reverse, but frankly I never looked. The Vortex I put in the bathroom does, but I ordered it with the reverse feature.

jjriker

Same here. We use the fantastic fan in the main area to pull air in through the windows. And replaced the fan in the bathroom with a Vortex fan that has a reverse function.

dewwood

There are several models of the Fantastic Fan, the top of the line is model 7350 which has the reverse air flow as well as rain and humidity controls. Look on Amazon for Fantastic Fan and you can find several models each with varying degrees of upgrades.

Sans1

http://www.instructables.com/id/HOW-TO:-Wire-a-DPDT-rocker-switch-for-reversing-po/

It is actually pretty easy. All you need is a double post double throw (DPDT) switch intended for 12 volt use with a high enough current rating. The common leads will go to the fan. I did a quick search for a picture and found this link above. it is wordy, so it might sound difficult but it isn't.
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yErQ2QxuHAs&spfreload=10>
In the attached gif, B&E are to the your exiting 12 volt source (between your wall switch and fan). A&D are to your fan. The X in the middle is what changes the direction of the fan. Be sure when you buy your switch that B&E 'Close' with A&D (make contact) in one position and C&F close with A&D when the switch is in the other. Some DPDT switches close with different contacts. Most slide style are like the image. The Youtube link is pretty good too. In the video, where he is wiring the battery clip is where your 12 volts would connect The switch in the youtube would be underrated for use with your fan..

Attachments

• dpdt.gif
    dpdt.gif
    4.9 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

jimtoo

I got to ask.. doesn't the vent fan have a motor to automatically open and close the vent lid before it turns on the fan? If so, how will this work then?

Jim M

Sans1

Could not find an installation manual; however, all of the models I found on the fantastic website with automatic vent already have the reverse function. So likely OP has a manual lift. Without verifying, a separate motor likely controls the vent portion. The wires to the vent lift motor should be able to be connected before the DPDT. On the automatic vent open models, there is a switch that shuts the fan off when the vent is closed. That switch would be unaffected by the forward or reverse because it would just break the circuit to the fan motor (i.e. open/disconnect power from the fan motor).

Last edited:

danemayer

Our Fantastic Fan is controlled by a simple analog thermostat. I'd guess the thermostat just makes or breaks a contact, signaling a control board on the fan assembly. The control board opens the cover and runs the fan. I would guess that a reversible model must have a different control board. And I'm sure jimtoo was thinking exactly that when he posted the question.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We replaced our vent with a fantastic fan that's reversible with 3 speeds, but we still have the manual crank. The fan will not turn on if the vent is not open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sans1

Well, that is a good point. Without having access or knowing the model in question, I would suggest that if your fan has a control board, the DPDT switch would need to be placed in the wires connecting to the fan motor near the actual fan drive motor. The pair of wires likely coming out of any control board would be supplying the fan motor power so the '12 volt source' would be the output of that board. With that said, there is also the chance that you may not have access to the fan motor wires because they may be inside of the motor assembly. Just trying to be helpful, but appreciate the additional thought, I would hate for someone to kill their fan because of unknowns. This is one of those cases where a picture might clarify and change the entire thread. Thanks for the feedback. Hope you are armed with enough info to see it this particular suggestion may work for you. I did notice upgrade kits on fantastic's website. That might be a less expensive than new option too.

Oregon_Camper

....So likely OP has a manual lift.

No...I have the power lift. Looking at the #1 post, I tried to show the controller I have. I just click blue button to turn the fan on and the motor lifts the cover and the fan starts.

I'll try to locate the upgrade kit you refer to

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
My question to the OP is why do you want to reverse the fan/vent? It is what it is, a VENT. That being said, think of the install and position on the roof and what you would be pulling into you unit when reversed and used as a cooling fan. Dust, dirt and hot air off your roof not cool, fresh clean air. Not sure of you application but this IMHO.

Sans1

Here is from the fantasticvent.com http://www.fantasticvent.com/assets/fantastic-vent-cross-ref-public-2014.pdf if you can Identify your part number, you should be able to locate which upgrade kit you'd need. I did a search for the first one in the list and even the upgrade is pretty pricey (~$150). if you had a picture of the fan from the top a quick look would confirm if the DPDT would work for you. If you went that route, the reverse switch would likely be located in the housing around the vent. ( I assume you already verified yours doesn't already have one on the fan housing). I realize in a 5th wheel the ceilings are pretty high. I use broom handle to power my fan on and off since I do not have a remote. I have MAXXAir covers, so I leave the vent open all the time. For those occasions I do need to reach it to close it, I have a 2-Step Aluminum Lightweight Step Stool that is similar in color to my interior colors that I keep in the RV to reach the upper cabinets.

Lynn1130

Call Fantastic Vent. (http://www.fantasticvent.com/fan-tastic-vent-s-contact-us.html) Have the model number for the fan you currently have. They are very helpful and will be able to tell you if what you are thinking is possible and if so if there is a fix. Rather than trying to find a part, that may not work, go to the experts and see what they say.

As to the fan pulling anything off of the roof. I have a reversible, multi speed, with sensors and a remote in the bedroom and it works great for moving air in or out depending upon the need. I replace the original POS that was installed there.

Oregon_Camper

My question to the OP is why do you want to reverse the fan/vent? It is what it is, a VENT. That being said, think of the install and position on the roof and what you would be pulling into you unit when reversed and used as a cooling fan. Dust, dirt and hot air off your roof not cool, fresh clean air. Not sure of you application but this IMHO.
We dry camp and have no AC. During the day the trailer gets warm and stays warm into the night...even with windows open. Then nighttime air is cool and therefore I want to pull in the cooler air. Even with the fan running to push air out at night, it doesn't have enough power to pull the cooler air in from the open windows.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Ok got ya. Now I understand u our need. Best to contact manufacturer for correct replacement parts. Good luck. Here is another thought upgrade. Easy fix. It is only money. LOL.

Crumgater

Is there a direction switch on the fan itself?
We installed ours, and don't have the thermostat/remote control... but it does have the forward/reverse switch up on the fan itself.