Big Horn 3055RL

Deb

Deb
Can anyone tell me the exterior length of this model? Does anyone have this model and what do you think of the unit?

Thanks,
Deb

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
I to am interested in this model, it is one of the most practical and well designed in a long time.

Deb

Deb
We were all set to buy a Sunnybrook. But we saw a Big Horn (3500RL)that friends of friends of ours had. Needless to say we were really impressed. Our biggest problem is trying to see the smaller 3055 in person. We are 191 miles from the closest dealer. We will get there one of these days. Or we will find an RV show to attend. In the meantime I keep searching dealers web sites across the country to see interior pictures. I am making my list of things I would like to have changed. The biggest one is to have the ref. face the door instead of at an angle. The angle looks great - but you lose a lot of cabinet space. Do you think this would be possible? Thanks bsmith for answering my question. My husband has a motto that says "short and light are good". I am pushing it to get a 3055. Right now we have a 28' 2 slide Cardinal.

I have learned a lot from this forum. Thanks everyone.

Deb

jbeletti

Deb,

My guess is that the factory would not customize the refer cabinet/angle but it's worth a call to Scott Tuttle (574.262.5992) to ask. Who knows - if that's the only thing holding you back from pulling the trigger on one, maybe they'd do it for you.

I may be at the factory the first week of November. If you want any specific pictures of a 3055, let me know exactly what you want and if they have one there, I'll snap them for you.

Jim

Deb

Deb
Jim,

You are fantastic!! Thanks for the offer to take pictures. So far I have a list of 15 questions to ask Scott Tuttle. I don't mind posting them on this forum. They might generate some pretty good discussion. So should I post them here or go private to Scott? Or both?

Deb

jbeletti

Hi Deb,

It's your call. If you want Scott to answer your questions in a public forum (for the benefit of others), feel free to do so in the "Ask the Bighorn Factory". Note that responses are not in real time but as factory time allows (usually within a few days).

If you want to discuss your questions in real time and privately, give Scott a call. I have found that 7:30 AM Elkhart time is a good time to reach Scott.

Jim

DougLynne

Deb,
No, we don't have this model but sure like the layout. Usually when you get 3 slides and this length, with all the slides in you can't access the fridge, drawers, etc. when stopping for lunch. I've even seen some models that block the doorway to the bathroom areas. I hope to really seriously look at this model in a year. We plan a trip to Alaska and may do the Dempster Highway(Yukon), 400+ miles of gravel and wouldn't want to take a brand new trailer on it. Doug

Last edited:

Deb

Deb
DougLynne,
This is the model we like as well. Just about the right size and as you say it has a great layout. I thought of another change I would like to see on this model. How about having the bath sink inside the toilet room. Nothing much would have to change. Just have a blank wall in the bedroom area and have the sink in the toilet area. This extra bit of privacy would help with the other partner still sleeping. Plus I think it would give us more storage in overhead cabinets. What do you think of this idea? Think I might post it on the Ask the Factory thread.

I also like the large desk area. This is the feature that I like the best. As I like to travel with two sewing machines, (embroidery machine and a serger), plus we have a laptop and printer. All this stuff takes lots of desk space.
Deb

Can't hardly wait to travel

Preview //heartlandowners.org/images/icons/icon7.gif Can't hardly wait to travel
:cool: Deb, After much deliberation on many makes and models, we purchased the BigHorn yesterday. One selling point was the refrigerator position, making it accessible while traveling. Also that is was centrally located to the table, stove and countertops. There are cabinets on each side of the frig although they are a strange shape. I thought that the smaller items (that always get lost in the bigger cubboards) would fit very nicely in them, e.i. olive oil & rice vinegar bottles, vitamins and 3 month prescription bottles. The left side could be used for the kitchen items and the right for the bed/bath items. I will find out for sure after we actually use it on a trip. Excited to travel, Coyotejones

DougLynne

I finally got to look at this model the other day at a delership. It was kind of cold outside & inside (we are having a bit of a cold snap and temps around freezing) so I didn't spend a whole lot of time digesting. Still think it is one of the best laid out trailers I've seen. One disappointment is the size of the basement storage area. It has quite a bit more than our current trailer but I'd hoped to get golf clubs and all the other stuff in. I currently carry the clubs in the storage box in my truck but I have other plans for that. Also, I looked at several models of the Bighorm and nearly all had a problem with the caulking around the front cap. Not sure if it was the cold but didn't look good to me, as well a couple had bathroom doors that were hard to close or not latching properly. Still, I sure like the Bighorn, these are fixable by the dealership prior to delivery I'd think. Doug

Deb

Deb
Coyotejones,

Congratulations on your "New Home". I know you will enjoy many traveling years ahead in this Big Horn model . I was trying to find out if they would turn the ref. straight - to face the door. That way you would have more cabinet space. Plus you won't be losing all that triangular space in back of the ref. I will admit that it looks great at the angle, guess I like to be too practical sometimes. Also the more I think about it - the more I would like to see the bath sink in the toilet room. It doesn't seem like that would be a big deal. Just turn the sink around, build a wall, and the plumbing doesn't even have to move. This would work much better for us - especially for those up in the middle of the night jaunts.

I think you need a trip east in your new rig. Come to Wilmington - so I can see what a 3055rl looks like. You said you are excited to travel. The weather is great - was 84 yesterday. Our closest dealer is 191 miles from us. So not easy to get to. I have only seen one Heartland and it was the 3500 bighorn. I was very impressed. So I keep on dreaming. I like the desk area as we tend to travel with desk toys - like a couple of sewing machines, laptop and printer. My husband has a port-a-bote that right now rides over the axels on our fiver and hooks to the frame of our camper. Works well - but probably won't work on the big horn. He says he will put frame holders for the bote on the side and I said "NO WAY". So will will help to solve this problem.

We want the new fiver to be functional with the slides in also. That is be able to use the ref. stove, sink, and bed and bath area. It just makes traveling easier to be able to use the above mentioned.

Question for you. When the sofa bed is opened -how much room is there around the bed? One more question - when do you pick up the new 3055?

Deb

Deb

Deb
Coyotejones,

My husband wanted me to ask you what truck you are using to pull the 3055? We have a 2001 Dodge 2500 - fully loaded. His constant concern is weight.

Thanks,
Deb

Deb, We have a 2005 Ford 2500 Lariat, 6.0 Turbo Diesel, 4X4 SWR. According to the charts we are rated anywhere between 14,200 and 15,600. The max weight on the BH is 14,000 wet and 10,500 dry. Should be alright. We had a silverado, 2500 gas that we were concerned about so we traded for the diesel. We pick up the 3055 on wednesday and we will know more after that. I will let you know about the room around the sofa bed then too.

mhedlund

Mike & Mary
3055rl

Hello all,
We just purchased our 3055RL a couple of weeks ago and will be taking it out next week. We are very please with the floorplan and have been very impressed with Heartland's constuction. This is our first fiver. I do have some pictures of the interior (icluding the frige area). The angled frige can be accessed with slides closed, but not fully open.

Mike & Mary

:D We did pick up the 3055RL and are at the most part very pleased. Our prior outfit was a 34ft bounder and I was a little concerned with the difference of storage. As you now the bounder is loaded with storage. After loading the things that we took out of the previous into the BigHorn, I found there is way more room inside left. The outside is a different story but there is enough room for what is needed.

Deb, there is a good yard of room at the foot of the sofa bed when made out but just squeeze though room on the kitchen side. The other side depends on the position of the chair.

Everything works quite well but we do need to take it back for several little things like a panel inside the cupboard was omitted and the folding door panel latch in the bedroom does not line up. :eek: Nothing that will prevent us from heading south Monday.

elwaller39

Evans & Lana
I think the rv industry as a hole must start looking at quality control. HartLand is no different. I do not know if there is a ruling in the the industry for not during a better job with quality control. We people who own and are purchasing a new coaches need to speek out about this problem. Evans & Lana

Brian & Tam

42 Years of Married Bliss
Quality Control

We have been RV'in for a long time now and the quality of RV's have greatly improved, especially in the mid to high end price range.

Ever since the development of metal framing and stronger walls and roofs you don't see the wall pannels shifting anymore.

It all starts with the frame however. Just like a stick house, if you don't have a good foundation, you are eventually in for trouble...

Good Camping to you...