Digital Converter Box

Sparkie

Any recommendations on which brand of converter box to purchase? Are there any features I should be looking for?

Thanks!!!

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
I just got my coupon's in the mail today and went to Wal Mart and got 2 boxes, one for one TV in the house and the one in the bedroom of our Big Horn. I got the RCA Box and hooked it up in the house tonight and it works fine. Receives the digital channels real good. Only had to pay 9.87 each with the coupons.
If you have satellite hook it up to the ant. jack on the back of the satellite receiver. I first hooked it up direct to the TV and discovered I couldn't get a satellite signal. Hope this helps.
Bill

truknutt

Committed Member
For those members not familiar with the FCC's Digital Conversion Program, here is the link to their website. Explains the program and allows you to apply for coupons to defray the cost to purchase converter boxes.

Ensure you print (or save a copy to disk) of the Application Approval with Reference Number.

Last edited by a moderator:

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
For those members not familiar with the FCC's Digital Conversion Program, here is the link to their website. Explains the program and allows you to apply for coupons to defray the cost to purchase converter boxes.

Ensure you print (or save a copy to disk) of the Application Approval with Reference Number.

Link does not seem to work.

Last edited by a moderator:

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
Rusty, the box does come with a remote and you do change the channels with that remote.

Bill

slaytop

I'm in a campground where many of the renters are using the digital converters rather than cable TV. I decided to hook up my Winegard convertors so I can use the distribution control center switch and not have to change any coax or video wires when switching from antenna to external cable. The original Toshiba living room tv has the antenna input plus two video inputs on the back. I split the coax and sent one to the convertor box and the other to the TV antenna input. The converter box feeds the TV through one of the video inputs and the DVD player goes to the other. That gives me the freedom to use campground cable or antenna without having to change any wires.

The bedroom TV doesn't have the video feeds on the back, so I had to send the convertor box output to the video input on the front. It looks tacky. After checking the Winegard website, I discovered that a later model of my convertor box permits analog signals to PASS THROUGH the box when it is turned off. The pass through feature would permit whatever is chosen at the distribution control to reach the TV through the single coax cable.

I'm not sure how else to hook up the bedroom TV so the wires are hidden and only the face of the convertor box is seen. In order to continue to use the antenna it looks like I will have to purchase a box with the "pass through" feature.

Larry