Diesel tank fill tube

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Does anyone know of a less expensive way to replace the fill tube on my '02 GMC? I would like to be able to use the big rig nozzles in truck stops and don't want to spend $200 for the Transfer Flow replacement neck. Its a pain th have to stand there in the truck stop and try to feather the nozzle while filling up.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
You know, it looks like the previous owner of this truck tried to do the same thing, and he got a lot of material out, but the tube itself tapers down, so it won't allow the larger diameter "big rig" nozzle to enter. Fuel splashes back and makes the nozzle shut off. I have lost a small amount of diesel with the splash back, and at today's prices, it was probably $20.00 worth of diesel, although it was just a few drops. I cleaned it up with a paper towel and probably should have tried to wring the diesel out into the tank but didn't.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
JayC, I am wondering if GM changed the design in the newer trucks. I have never had a problem with my 05 2500 filling at truck stops. Something you might look into. Bob:D

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I've used the big rig nozzles on our 04 Chev but can usually only go to the 1st setting on the trigger hold. Even then I have to hold the nozzle up to get a more direct flow of fuel into the fill tube. It works but still a PITA!

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
I also use the big rig pumps all the time on my 05 Duramax and never had a problem. I only use the first click on the handle lock but only takes little more that thirty seconds to fill up the tank from empty

Don

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
JayC, been thinking about what you said. Are there any vent holes or slits at the top of the fill neck?? If not, you can drill some small holes straight down and it will vent better. Bob:D

Johnm

I wanna go camping - NOW
I believe that GM changed this on the newer trucks. I'm not sure which year they did this change, but I know it was after the '02 model :(

BluegrassMan

I don't know how yours is made, I would think you could go to a salvage yard and get an older one. The metal only goes so far then a rubber hose is clamped on, at least my Dodge was made that way. I don't feel that it is welded in, I would imagine it's bolted or screwed in place.

I know why Ford has put a large pipe in there, it guzzles it out so you have to put it in fast. :(

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
I fill up at the big rig pumps at truck stops all the time. The must have made the change on the 2004.
Fred

seabee

Try the Dealer

:confused:Hey!what if you remove the tube out of your truck and take it to the parts counter of your dealer and ask them about it.
I have a 2007.5 3500 GMC and the fill tube is big I can pull to the truck pumps and fill.
:eek:Don't Drive your Truck take Mom's carNone
Can Do/Have Done
Seabee

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
:confused:Hey!what if you remove the tube out of your truck and take it to the parts counter of your dealer and ask them about it.
I have a 2007.5 3500 GMC and the fill tube is big I can pull to the truck pumps and fill.
:eek:Don't Drive your Truck take Mom's carNone
Can Do/Have Done
Seabee

My 2008 GMC has the big neck as well but just a reminder to all those year model 2007 and later diesel owners, some big rig pumps do still have 500ppm sulfur (and can until 2010 as long as refineries produce it) which is illegal in the newer vehicles. So check those labels on the pumps first.