Key West cargo door

travlingman

Got to see a new Key West today and really liked it. But there is one thing that needs a change. Is there any plans to change the cargo door underneath the bedroom vanity slide from hinging up to having it open to the side like the cargo door on the other side? With the door hinging up it is very hard to access any cargo through that door.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Got to see a new Key West today and really liked it. But there is one thing that needs a change. Is there any plans to change the cargo door underneath the bedroom vanity slide from hinging up to having it open to the side like the cargo door on the other side? With the door hinging up it is very hard to access any cargo through that door.

I don't know who's idea it was to change this but the person obviously doesn't camp. It is a terrible design flaw. I talked with Tom M. the Landmark program manager and he says it was not his decision. They ought to fire whoevers decision it was.
Both my 2010 and 2014 Landmarks had the door swinging sideways. My 2015 Landmark swings up. It is such a PITA to duck under to access the level-up system, the UDC hook-ups and the basement storage area!! Dumb move designer, who ever you are!!

ksucats

OK, I'm confused once again. I have a 2015 Key West and on the curb side (door side) the door swings up on hydraulic struts. On mine the struts have some sort of limiter because the door will stop going up about an inch from the extended bedroom slide above it. I can 'jiggle' the door and it will then rise to touch the slide out. On the other side the main door, again under the beds slide out, that door swings out and that is where my Level-up and UDC items are. This also happens to be the one that I wish was either a split door or one that raised up instead of swinging. Regardless, mine has a February (as I recall) 2015 build date and the struts do stop the curb side door from hitting the slide out.

ksucats

Jeff: I see that Keith has the Newport model. His setup is totally different than ours with the front bath.

Wife liked that coach as well -- actually there wasn't / isn't a Landmark 365 she didn't like. The Key West won out though. I think it was because it was the first she had seen.

Great travels to you.

TxCowboy

Yeah, Ron, agree. I just reread travlingman's post and I think I misread it. It's not that it's hitting the slide, it's that you have to stoop down to extract the contents of the basement. But I also think that is true even with the ODS door as well.

EPaulikonis

I just added a magnetic door catch on my Landmark to avoid more beatings by that road-side compartment door that swings out. You can pick one up at Lowes for $5.98.
[h=1]Door Stopper.jpg
Gatehouse 0.5-in x 1-in Entry Door Rigid Stop
[/h]Item #: 340041 | Model #: S849-505

OK, I'm confused once again. I have a 2015 Key West and on the curb side (door side) the door swings up on hydraulic struts. On mine the struts have some sort of limiter because the door will stop going up about an inch from the extended bedroom slide above it. I can 'jiggle' the door and it will then rise to touch the slide out. On the other side the main door, again under the beds slide out, that door swings out and that is where my Level-up and UDC items are. This also happens to be the one that I wish was either a split door or one that raised up instead of swinging. Regardless, mine has a February (as I recall) 2015 build date and the struts do stop the curb side door from hitting the slide out.

travlingman

Yeah, Ron, agree. I just reread travlingman's post and I think I misread it. It's not that it's hitting the slide, it's that you have to stoop down to extract the contents of the basement. But I also think that is true even with the ODS door as well.

The problem for me is that you have the cargo door that opens up instead of to the side. Since you have the slide over the top of it, it has to stick out to not hit the slide. Since I am over 4' tall, this means I have to bend over and walk under the cargo door, whether the slide is in or out, to get to the storage area. If they used a door that opens to the side, like they do on the ODS, a person would only have to contend with the slide, if extended at that time, to access the cargo. If the slide is not extended, with a side opening door, you have normal access to the cargo area, unlike now.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Keith but it is a great cover for when it is raining.
I don't know who's idea it was to change this but the person obviously doesn't camp. It is a terrible design flaw. I talked with Tom M. the Landmark program manager and he says it was not his decision. They ought to fire whoevers decision it was.
Both my 2010 and 2014 Landmarks had the door swinging sideways. My 2015 Landmark swings up. It is such a PITA to duck under to access the level-up system, the UDC hook-ups and the basement storage area!! Dumb move designer, who ever you are!!