Heartland Landmark Fire exits

blacklabbob

There are two fire exit windows, one in the bedroom, and one behind the couch in the living room. Instructions state to remove the screen and push the slide lock out of the frame. This allows the smaller lower part of the window to swing out freely. QUESTION: Are you then able to push the entire window (upper and lower sections) out thus removing the whole window, or are we expected to squeeze through the smaller lower section?:confused:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Stay away from the all you can eat buffets if you want to get out those exits. Only the small section opens on the rear window. If the bedroom exit is over the dresser, like mine is, getting out through it may be an exercise.

blacklabbob

Stay away from the all you can eat buffets if you want to get out those exits. Only the small section opens on the rear window. If the bedroom exit is over the dresser, like mine is, getting out through it may be an exercise.

It is not over the dresser, the full window is from floor to ceiling. It's a Key Largo model.

rxbristol

It's only half the window. I just had to use mine because the door latch broke locking us in. Some have gotten rope ladders to use with the escapes and from my recent experience it may be worth it, even though I not tried one, I wonder if it would be any safer.

blacklabbob

It's only half the window. I just had to use mine because the door latch broke locking us in. Some have gotten rope ladders to use with the escapes and from my recent experience it may be worth it, even though I not tried one, I wonder if it would be any safer.

I suspect that the rapid rate at which trailers (RVs) and mobile homes burn, there would be no time to deploy a fire escape ladder. One or two breaths of superheated air will kill anyone, if the toxic smoke hasn't killed us first. And I say that after retiring after 25 years on a municipal fire department. I have some very good (expensive) photoelectric smoke and heat detectors in my home, of which I mount in the 5th wheel when we travel. In addition to the ABC extinguisher near the door, I bring along two quality others, one in the lounge, and one in the bedroom. If we couldn't make it to the door, they are available. We also have a quick deploy fire blanket in the event of a stove fire. *Caution: Do not use a Halon extinguisher in such an enclosed space as an RV. They immediately displace all the oxygen."
After all is said and done, prevention is the only really safe option.

rxbristol

I suspect that the rapid rate at which trailers (RVs) and mobile homes burn, there would be no time to deploy a fire escape ladder. One or two breaths of superheated air will kill anyone, if the toxic smoke hasn't killed us first. And I say that after retiring after 25 years on a municipal fire department. I have some very good (expensive) photoelectric smoke and heat detectors in my home, of which I mount in the 5th wheel when we travel. In addition to the ABC extinguisher near the door, I bring along two quality others, one in the lounge, and one in the bedroom. If we couldn't make it to the door, they are available. We also have a quick deploy fire blanket in the event of a stove fire. *Caution: Do not use a Halon extinguisher in such an enclosed space as an RV. They immediately displace all the oxygen."
After all is said and done, prevention is the only really safe option.

I would be interested to know what brands of smoke/heat detectors you recommend.