Portable Waste Water Tank (Storage)

waccajs

Texian
I'm trying to find a solution for transporting my 35 gal portable waste water tank other than the back of the pickup bed.

Has anyone mounted one of these things to the underside of the unit? I'm thinking about using plumbers tape and securing it near the spare tire. I'm sure there is a better place than in the bed of the truck. Any ideas? Pictures?

linuxkidd

I'm guessing you're meaning while the unit is empty...

I've seen them strapped to the ladder on other units going down the road.. I don't have one yet, so I can't speak from personal experience..

LK

waccajs

Texian
Ref Storage of waste water tank

My mistake. Yes while empty. My mind doesn't see what I post sometimes. My fingers go several MPH slower than my thoughts.

I have learned so much by going to this site, a real wealth of information out here. I'm sure there is a workable solution to mount the tank under the belly of my BH that will be safe to haul and yet easily accessible when needed.

The one I purchased is the biggy, 35 gal.

Pulltab

KaKampers straps there's underneath just using bungies and has had no problems. When she sees this she will respond. In the mean time I am going to weld up a frame for us and them to transport it under the rig. We can let you know how it goes when finished :)

jbeletti

waccajs,

Like Tab is planning, I too have seen people make up a cage to mount under the 5er to slide these tanks into.

I saw one made up using perforated angle strut material, like is used to hang garage door openers. Measure, cut, bolts to fasten and somehow hang it from the trailer.

garagedoorsupplies_1992_5787447

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Pulltab is correct, we have been carrying our 35 gallon "blueboy" underneath the rig for around 9-10,000 miles without a problem However, we use heavy-duty, 20 foot, rachet straps...not bungies...

We crisscross two straps underneath of the tank and hook it in the frame of the spare tire on one end, and the other ends go over top of the electric rear jacks and are hooked to back of that frame. Be sure the wrap the strap around the handle or something of the tank so it can't slip out (see photo). They don't interfere with anything, and we check them regularly. They are as tight as the day we put it up there. See the attached pictures. Hope this helps.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff162/kakampers/000_0030-1.jpg

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff162/kakampers/000_0035-1.jpg

waccajs

Texian
Me again. I've decided to build a cage for the waste water portable tank out of 4 inch welded wire fencing material as the weight is not very great, and secure it under the unit near the front basement compartment. Any ideas as far as securing the cage to the underbelly? Plumbers tape is one option. Any other ideas will be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Niles

I am looking for a place to put our blue boy too, I have looked at the mounting next to the spare and really think that's the way I'll go. If you try and put it under the basement in front I think you'll find you may have a clearance issue, it's pretty close the the ground up there with the dropped frame. I have a belly factor and I think the blue boy is slimier.

Code:
KaKampers
Pulltab is correct, we have been carrying our 35 gallon "blueboy" underneath the rig for around 9-10,000 miles without a problem However, we use heavy-duty, 20 foot, rachet straps...not bungies.

I like your idea and I was thinking of doing the same with by blueboy. But I was wondering if you experienced any rubbing or chaffing of your blueboy either by the frame, tire, underbelly or straps?

kakampers

Seaulayter...sorry I didn't see this earlier! We experience no problem at all...the tank rides beautifully and stays absolutely in place. The straps do not rub on anything either, and look good as new. I would guess we've had it under the coach for more than six months. Can't see any reason to change what works!

kakampers

P.S....after looking at the photos again, I realized why you asked about rubbing. The picture is deceiving, the tank is nowhere near the spare tire....bad angle in the photo. It sets probably a good 8-12 inches behind the tire and is pressed up against the underbelly where there is not seam, therefore nothing to rub on the tank. I don't know how much room you have on the 3055 by the 3600 has way more than enough.

I bet if you take your problem to a good welder, they could build you something that would allow you to attach it to your frame and no one would even know it was there.

Randy