Adding two more 6 volts....

ChopperBill

making a total of 4 in the Bighorn. Question? You guys that are running 4 batteries are you linking them all together or separating them into two individual battery banks? Separating them seems like a giant PITA to me keeping them charged up and hooking up the solar panel, plus more of a wiring nightmare. I have the switch similar to the one pictured and just switch it to ALL when not in OFF.

197260326_bg.jpg

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
The four in my Landmark are installed as two separate 12 volt packs run parallel with two solar controllers(one for each pair) and four 130 watt panels(two panels for each pair of batteries. When you hook up two in series it doubles the voltage but the amps remain the same then parallel another set with these and it doubles the amps giving you more duration.I can add up to four more batteries to the system I have and still charge them all with the panels I have.

Don

Uncle Rog

Bill, we use our 4/6's in one bank with the stk 12 as a reserve. Works great for us. If we don't use the inverter or heater much, or leave lights on, we can run for 5 days with out having to fire up the Yamaha. The 100 amp charger brings 'em back up in 5-6 hours.............also the Xantrex has the conditioning mode that "stirs" up the electrolyte and, I think, really makes a difference.........

ChopperBill

We camp in the part of the country where using the furnace at night in the middle of summer in not unheard of. Getting ready to combat amp usage with florescent lights and the use of a propane heater in the living room if it will run at that altitude. Have one portable 110 solar panel and probably will have to get another but for now I am just going to give it a try with what I have. Wasnt going to increase my batteries but the store I work part time for is selling me two Interstate U2200's, $90 for both. Couldn't pass that up.

Uncle Rog

That is a good deal that is almost half off! Somewhere I read that it is best that all the batteries in a bank should be the same age. I read that after I installed mine. The first pair are 3 mos older than the second set. When I use a meter on them, individually, two read 6.4 volts and two tes 6.3, which indicates they are still way ok. I know I have used this link before, but it is a good one and has saved me a few problems down the road.......

http://www.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/12volt/12volt.htm

ChopperBill

I was aware of the batteries should be all the same age. But, being on a limited budget, strongly enforced by Renee, :eek: I am going to give it a go with what I have. Read a post where someone has his 6 volts tied into his 12 volts on the same bank and says it work just fine. Not so sure I would try that.

Uncle Rog

I am with you on the budget deal, not too much lumber being sold these days. If you do go the two bank route it wouldn't matter any way.....You will like the extra ah's....