Suburban furnace going thru sail switches

ankie3467

Can someone tell me why my furnace is going thru sail switches??? We always carry a spare. It seems as soon as we move 5th wheel, 1st night out we have to replace the sail switch. Sometimes it only lasts 1 night. The first sail switch lasted a couple of years, but now every time out!! We camp in the mountains and we do use it. Help , Thanks

wdk450

I wonder if the switch is the real problem? If you have changed out many of the same part, unless there is some common environmental problem (too much heat at the switch?), your switches are probably good. Have you checked suspect defective switches with a continuity (ohm) meter? Maybe the act of changing out the switch moves some bad wiring connections (bad crimp?) enough to "fix" the problem for a while. If you can, solder the wire to connector connection for the sail switch connectors (I have a strong distrust of crimped connections - soldering involves a physical connection at the molecular level between the 2 metal crystalline matrixes. This connection is airtight and not subject to corrosion between the contacting metal surfaces).

danemayer

Let me assume that the switch is failing to close the circuit when the blower starts up. Do you have any vents block partially or completely? Anything blocking the air return?