led bulbs in lamp

herefishy

We replace the bulbs in our reading lamp frequently, so got LED automotive bulbs to try, but they wouldn't light, and affected the other lights in the slide, turning them on and off instead of the lamp. Sounds like a faulty circuit to do that, but has anyone else tried automotive bulbs in their 12v light fixtures? I don't mean the little 2 wire ones, but the big 1156 type bulbs.

Roller4tan

I put them in over the bed for reading, no problems. Two pack, 1156's from wally world $15 or so

Last edited:

herefishy

Wow, I paid $35 for them from NAPA - I can't get them back fast enough. Probably something screwy with the circuit. Strange, though, the lamp is on a different switch from the overhead lights.

jimtoo

You might drop fixture down and reverse the 2 wires for the 12v bulb socket. I am pretty sure the leds are polarity sensitive.

Jim M

herefishy

Thanks, will try that. If polarity is reversed in fixture, could I just reverse the bulb from what is not working?

jimtoo

Yes, if it will plug in the other way. Some of the sockets and bulbs have off set pins that hold them in where they will only go in one way, but if yours do not have the off set, plug'em in.

Jim M

herefishy

I wonder if the 1141's work in place of the 1156? They look the same. The LEDs I've put in the overhead fixtures have been disappointing, not nearly as bright as the old style.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
1141's and 1156's have the same base. The difference is in the wattage they draw and heat output. I think the 1156 are higher/hotter than 1141. My rig came with 1141's. When they burnt out (a frequent occurance) I did sub some 1156's if that's all I could find. I've since changed EVERYTHING, including some 120V lamps we use to LED's. Definitely better than hot wire bulbs. Even our house is mostly LED.

cakie

Does anyone know the bulb size for the kitchen pendant lights for a 2013 Landmark San Antonio? We need to replace the LED's and there is no marking on the bulb to indicate the size. Thank you.

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
The little spot lights in our bedroom reading lights were really hot so I found Led lights at an RV store and tried them. Worked great except the one closest to the TV Arial interferes with the bedroom TV. Would this be polarity or my son-in-law thought maybe the Led light has an electronic component that maybe causing the interference. Any suggestions.

mlpeloquin

The difference between 1141's and 1156's is the amount of light put out. 259 Lumens for the 1141's at 1.5 amps and 402 Lumens at 2.24 amps for the 1156's when new. That is why one draws more power than the other. Light is measured in Lumens. Also, when changing to LED lamps, you may have a choice of color spectrum stated in Kelvin. Incandescent lamps are between 2470 and 2755 Kelvins. The sun is around 5500 to 6100 Kelvins depending on orientation. So I preference LED lamps in the 5000 kelvin range. It is a preference between yellowish incandescent to daylight white.

santafedave

Santafedave
How do you change the bulbs in the recessed lights? Do they unscrew or do you pull the whole light socket out? I am asking because when I tried to remove the light the whole thing turns. I have a 2008 cyclone and the recessed lights are above the bed. Thanks.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
You will probably have to remove the entire fixture. They are held in place with two mousetrap type springs.
Once the fixture is out you will then have to unscrew the lens. Just a little CC turning.

Peace
Dave

carl.swoyer

I found led lights on eBay g-4 , remove the halogen and plug in the new led.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

abbymark

Do they unscrew or do you pull the whole light socket out? I am asking because when I tried to remove the light the whole thing turns.
In our 2013 Bighorn, the (glass) light cover turns about 1/4" and then pops out. However, it was difficult to get some of our lights to do this. If you have multiple lights of the same type, try a different one to see if it comes out more easily. That way you'll know how it should work. On stubborn puck lights, I pull them down from the ceiling just enough so I can hold the canister while I twist the cover. Still it sometimes takes several tries, but getting new bulbs in our puck lights was well worth the effort.